Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All American Muslim TV series

I was glad that Sana weighed in, as a responsible Muslim who can explain that this is NOT true of the religion in general. After all, we first met Sana in the company of One Down, her beloved Corgi mix with the silly ears!

People have used all sorts of excuses - including religion - for the mistreatment of others, human and animal alike, and it is the responsibility of the rest of us, who know better, to call them to task on this.

Write to TLC and let them know we - the potential viewing public - are offended not that they are portraying the life of a Muslim family, but that this behavior is not acceptable to any of us, regardless of religion.

TLC is part of the Discovery Network, and they have a comment form online here:

http://corporate.discovery.com/conta...wer-relations/
    I've Been Frosted

This is TLC its all about the ratings, this station has turned into a circus. No doubt the producers knew this would tick people off.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

The reason Lowe's pulled their advertising from the show is not because of the dog but because some fringe "Christian" right-wing group in Florida was complaining that Muslims are all terrorists and the show was propaganda in the service of them taking over this country, etc., etc., etc.

This is all over the news here in the Detroit media. There is a lot of talk of organizing a boycott against Lowe's because of this.

Incidentally, I also grew up in Dearborn. I was born in Detroit, and when I was 3 years old my family moved to Dearborn. My parents lived there the rest of their lives, and my brother and his family still live there. I'm about 30 miles away here in Ann Arbor.

Thank you, Sana, for expressing your thoughts on this as both a Muslim and a dog-owner and -lover. Too many people use religion to excuse all kinds of utterly reprehensible actions.

May that poor dog find love and warmth again.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    This is TLC its all about the ratings, this station has turned into a circus. No doubt the producers knew this would tick people off.
    This

they will likely be glad to know it struck a nerve with people as I'm sure that's why they showed it in the first place.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

I think it's unfortunate. TLC could have done a program that would inform and enlighten people, but they chose not to. I wish TLC would really be a channel for learning instead of what it is.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

It is a learning channel.....

Learning how sensationalism sells ad space, generates ratings, and increases website traffic.

TO quote Mr. Shaw, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Wasn't that Mr. Wilde?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Is this program one of those "Reality" shows? If so, they are probably
    all actors. They are probably all following a script .
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Is this program one of those "Reality" shows? If so, they are probably
    all actors. They are probably all following a script .
    No, they are real people. One of them is a football coach at Fordson High School; another is a policeman in Dearborn. They have real jobs. They are not actors. Some of them were on Anderson a couple of weeks ago.

I left a comment about the dog on the TLC line - Karen left a link a page or two back. We've found the pieces interesting - until the bit with Wrigley on Sunday. Not sure I will watch anymore,

Lowe's is taking a hit in this area - they pulled ads because of the rantings of a small, radical right evangelical group in Florida. This group complains, loudly, about Muslims and gays. Sort of like the church in Kansas

An article from the Freep about the group that persuaded Lowes to stop the ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Wasn't that Mr. Wilde?
    Yeah, been a long day. My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by rosethecopycat View Post
    Sana-

My comments are not a commentary on Islam, I hope you understand.
    My qualms come when someone 'converts' for someone else. He doesn't adhere fully to the religion either, as in fasting (re- a previous episode) and then turns his back on his loyal dog.
    The exact situation was/is that the couple bought a house and were moving in together. They were so juvenile and weak they could not even discuss it properly. An ultimatum was given and the woman made up posters for the dog, before the husband agreed to re-home her. (he should re-home the wife instead)
    I doubt if a 16 year old dog could offer any protection from thieves and burglars, but that's not the point. They should be well aware of the situation before they got married. (just as I am with my cats)

It is still 'beyond me' why this woman could stand inside a dog sanctuary and not one sneeze or sniffle on camera.

There are two culprits here (the couple) and one victim (that poor old dog).

Now, I have to keep watching the show, to see how much more appalled I get from their behaviors...
    Hehe! I know you aren't saying anything to Islam You didn't say anything about Islam anyway, you only spoke about the couple I didn't remember the dog was aged, so, yeah, you're correct, she might not be able to offer any protection from thieves and burglars.

I haven't watched these episodes, but, if she didn't sneeze, cough or even sniffle on the camera, she's a definite fraud!

Thanks and no problem Phesina

Haha! Thanks Karen!

---

Prayers for the poor little doggie I hope she finds a better home soon. If only somebody would take it in I know some stuff is kind of on the impossible side and some probably wouldn't come true, but I will still pray that this doggie finds a lovely, happy and a good home! Aameen!

Sadly a sanctuary is not in the business of finding animals homes. As I understand it, it is a place of last resort for basically unadoptable animals. It was weird to me that the sanctuary contacted the couple from the flyer they posted. Most sanctuaries are kept 'under wraps' as they have way too much to deal with. So, no, I don't imagine this dog finding a home again, unless the notoriety of the event generates some interest or concern by someone.

I have spoken with someone from Dearborn that says the neighbors of the participants of the show are very unhappy with the disturbance to their neighborhoods (with shooting of exteriors, etc.) But I guess this would apply to the whole plethora of Reality shows these channels try to drum up. (I'm just glad there is not one going on next to me- not sure if my neighbors are 'lady hoggers' or not LoL)

I believe the people are real. And I also believe there is a considerable amount of hype on this show. For example, the one woman was flying to D.C. for some event, and she basically said how she's treated differently in the airport, how she's stared at. etc.
    Well, this is certainly untrue, there are so many veiled women in the area, it's silly to think that others are staring at them. When something is so common place, it loses it's uniqueness.

The Lowe's issue is totally not what this thread is about, and I wish it weren't a topic here.

Wrigley is home !!!!!!

We just watched the show for the first time. The woman decided that she would rather deal with her allergies so Wrigley could live out the rest of her life at home, than having to spend the rest of her life regretting that decision.

It is good that they know they would keep Wrigley out of the carpeted areas, as that's where dander can accumulate and cause issues, and everyone seemed happy to have Wrigley back home.
    I've Been Frosted