Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your occupations

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    Right now I work at Petco as a Bath and Brusher and I also do Pet Portraits. I used to work at a Gas Station. I'm poor.

I'd like to major in art in college. I have no clue how I'm going to have a "career" in the "real world." I'm a total loser, and I have absolutely no skills, especially no people skills........*sigh* I guess I'll just have to wait for that rich husband lol.
    Sounds to me like you need a good swift kick in the pants! Don't be so down on yourself!!!!! How old are you? Where are you in the education process? What makes you happy?

Wolf_ Q,

I was much poorer thatn you at age 25! I ate my share of fish sticks. I couldn't imagine myself EVER owning a house AND still being a musician. But now I'm 41, and have two houses. I'm playing music (sax) for a living and I'm trying to figure out a way to do it forever. (even when I look like a granny playing horn, hopefully I'll still rock)
    I didn't 'marry' money in fact I married 'debt' so it has been a long journey.
    Hey, I think I'd like your job, pet grooming. Getting to interact with all sorts of animals.
    You have to make it happen for you.

3. Cataholic -- as I am in Human Resources I work with lawyers all the time (in fact am in the middle of a "situation" right now with lawyers.) Here's the way it goes....my lawyer is smart, clever, ethical, and right. The other sides lawyer is unethical, a snake, and wrong!

Life can be very simple sometimes.

I am a veterinary techinician but also do grooming. Right now I am not working because I am a stay at home mom and rat breeder.

I also run a small scale wildlife rehab and exotic animal rescue.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I'm an Adoption Counselor / Animal Technician at an animal shelter. I enjoy it so much. I don't make much money, but I am doing what I love and what fulfills my life. I have also been blessed with 2 wonderful dogs from the job

I'm going to school and doing some internships to study Canine Behavior. When I get my degree and certifications, I want to be a behaviorist but just work strictly with shelter animals and rescue groups. I've looked into it and I will be making pretty decent money AND doing what I love
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

ALY~

That sounds wonderful! I hope you make it through and are able to help all those pets in need. I went to your site and I love it. Keep up the dog work!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

occupations

my life has always revolved around children...i have directed a daycare center, taught in the head start program and now have been in public education for many years in different areas....mostly as a kindergarten teacher and for the last few years as a first grade teacher in the urban sector. i love what i do, but it has been getting more difficult over the years to make the kind of difference i wish to make.....still love it tho.

I was a career consultant for an IT company, helping people through an IT entry course and recruiting them into client companies when they had finished (and were ready for the interview process). Could have been the greatest job, but the IT sector fell in a heap and the company had to take anybody who had $10,000 for the course. There were lots of parents who forked out the money just to get rid of their children for three months . Dealing with people who don't want to work was hard. I have no idea what to do next. Well, I have a few ideas but the economy, start-up costs, fear of failure etc etc are all factors right now.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

I am a shipping and receiving coordinator at Nestle'. Unfortunatelly for me the economy is so bad .. cause I am desperately trying to get out of here... after 2.5 years and all the free candy I could ask for ... 16 extra pounds.. and I am ready to go. ... I am in school now to get my business management degree so I can open my own pet hotel... I can't wait... I will be getting paid to play with animals all day...which as perfectly put already... it calls to my heart... I am pretty sure it will be successful because there are NONE in my area... I would love to work for one now but the closest one is about a 45 minute drive from my house... so Nestle' it will be for now.
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Originally posted by Cataholic

Sounds to me like you need a good swift kick in the pants! Don't be so down on yourself!!!!! How old are you? Where are you in the education process? What makes you happy?
    LOL.

I'm 18. I graduated from high school in May 2002. Actually, I graduated with honors, and had a 3.9 gpa. I had no money saved up for college though, and my parents won't pay for any of it. I was really hoping to get a good art scholarship, and I think I devoted too much time to that...and well, I didn't get it...depressing.....anyway, so I did not end up at college this year.

I enjoy the pet grooming, but I'm not sure if I can do it. The other groomers say I'm "too nice." lol. What I would really LOVE is to open up some sort of pet store....not much market for it in Utah....buuut....like that has grooming, day care, and I could sell my own pet art and crafts. Oh boy what a dream, lol, unfortunately this would require $$$! Anyone wanna donate? ha ha

I don't know. Just clueless here. I'm not sure how to make a profession out of art. I can't TALK to people, it SUCKS being shy!! Sorry for rambling on here....

My husband and I work from home. He's a Web Designer. Mostly for businesses related to the Music Industry. We both do Tour Itineraries for musicians and Backstage Pass Design. We also help manage a small band that is hopefully on the rise. Marketing and Convention Planning and Concert Promotion on a small scale. I also clean one little ice cream shop and help out at my sisters' coffee shop..... Busy but it keeps me out of trouble.

I limited myself to say what I do now, not also what I dream to. I am glad people shared their dreams, it makes me share mine too.
    I always wanted to have a flower shop - a nursery-garden. I love plants and I would make a lot of money too. Right now, I need $$$, of course. Fortunately, translations are paid well too and I manage to save a lot.

I am retired, from the electronics parts wholesale industry, mostly in Tucson Ariz. Although for the past 6 years I worked as a maintenance tech, and lawns keeper in central Calif. Being retired, is the best, I do what I want, and when I want especially I enjoy talking on the internet. My 12 furkids force me to get off of my butt and clean up after them , Otherwise, I would become a couch potato -for the first time in my life. I have only become a cat "fancier" after learning about my kitties on this web site. I guess I have been a cat-lover all of my life, but never took the time to understand them or to get to know them. Now, I couldn't live without a furkid family around to care for each other. I enjoy watching the Pet Psychic on Animal Planet. There are times when I can communicate with my pets in the same manner,and get similiar results.

I have been one of those people that can never quite make up their mind about what they want to do. First I went to university and became a pharmacist. After working for (quite) a few years I decided that I was burned out (very very badly) and I went back to university and got a business degree (MBA). But then I really didn't know what I wanted to do with that, so I went back AGAIN . Some people would call me masochistic or very sick, but I am now finishing up my PhD in economics. I am on schedule to finish up in early 2003, but then I will really have to make up my mind about "what I want to be when I grow up".

wolf_Q: Not everyone knows what they want to do when they are 18 (I am a fine example of that). Don't be so hard on yourself, most of the time it is just a matter of perseverance and patience before you hit upon your passion

Wolf Q- I am not going to let you off that easily, and as EmilyTSpoiled (and overly educated...LOL) said, not everyone knows what they want at 18..or if they do, it will prolly change by 25.

The thing that gets me though is doing 'nothing' towards ANY goal. I think we sometimes get so overwhelmed with the prospect of a four year program that we end up doing nothing towards it. And, a four year program is not for everyone. But, having said that, you better have a trade you can rely on. I think you need one or the other, and even having both doesn't guarentee you a job, career, or happiness.

I was very very fortunate- I had the vast majority of my undergrad paid for by my parents. I took out loans for law school, and am hugely indebt for it. I lived with my mom during school, and she paid most of my expenses...THANKS LILLLYCAT! But, loans are available. I would do it again- loans and all, because for me, the education was worth it.

So, if art is your passion, then look towards a fine art degree...with an emphasis in arts...or, get a business degree, I don't think it really matters...just get some more education, experience behind you...develop yourself more....learn ways to combat your shyness...we all can't be loud, assertive, and opinionated like me, but, maybe you can come out of your shell a little bit, with exposure.

There is that silly saying, "beauty is as beauty does" and the more you cap on yourself, the more you are going to stay down. I have a sister that was a little clam. She still is, kinda...but, she really works on it. She has come really far..course, she is nearly 35...but, I think anyone can do it. You certainly can write, and I wouldn't have guessed you as a shy person....

Maybe with the onset of the New Year, you can develop some goals, little ones, bigger ones, etc...and shoot for them!!! I hope you don't take anything I say as criticism...I just want to encourage you as others have encouraged me. Maybe you can move in with my mom and she can pay all your expenses, too!!!! Ha hah ahhahahahhahh