Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    There's a product called True Lemon (also True Lime and True Orange) that are little packets that can be used to flavor water or tea. They are made from 100% natural ingredients with no natural or artificial sweeteners. It also has no calories an no carbs. I haven't tried them but have requested a free sample. It was voted in Prevention magazine as one of its 38 flat-belly foods.
    Click here for their website. You can get more information and a free sample too.
    Sadly, I am terribly allergic to lemon and other citrus, so that wouldn't work for me. But maybe someone else would find it useful!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Rather than start another weight loss thread I thought I would resurrect this one.

I'm so frustrated!!!!! I've been on a good diet and exercise program for two weeks now and I haven't lost anything....nada. Yes, I'm 100% behind this and I'm doing this for myself.

Mon, Wed, and Sat are hard work out days. Tues and Thurs are swim days. Fri and Sun are rest days. I'm really watching what I'm eating....low fat, low salt, low sugar....lots of good fruit and veggies...cut way back on meat...eating lots of grains, legumes, beans...what more can I do? I don't eat any sweets or fried foods and I've cut way back on bread.

I drink tons of water all the time, no pop, no coffee, drink green tea...am I just being too anxious??? I would have hoped to show at least a one pound loss, but no...nothing.

My good friend and neighbour is doing this with me so we have a good support system in place. She inspires me and I inspire her.

I'm thinking seriously about WW. From your comments, it works so maybe it's time I give it a try.
    For me, it's always been the carbohydrates that get me into trouble. I could live on rice, pasta and potatoes. Also, as I've aged, losing weight has become increasingly difficult. I have to work out twice as hard and eat half as much just to maintain, let alone lose weight. I haven't checked your profile to see your age, Slick, but I do know that age is a contributing factor. After two weeks, I'll bet that you'll suddenly see a drop in weight. Have you measured yourself? I'm also willing to bet that you've lost inches. How are your clothes fitting?

I fear that I haven't been much help to you so I want to add "Don't give up!". It'll happen. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    I'm thinking seriously about WW. From your comments, it works so maybe it's time I give it a try.
    Please do!! Before going to WW, I tried several diets, I even went to a dietician; but nothing worked! I am with WW since 1 year now, and.......
    I have lost 37,5 pounds so far

Good luck Slick & Sunbirdy!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Need a kickstart?

Have a look here - and get the book if you can (it's a small softcover, nothing huge). Made a difference for me! And they say 'skinny', NOT scrawny.

http://www.skinnybitch.net/

If you can't take one more day of self-loathing, you're ready to hear the truth: You cannot keep shoveling the same crap into your mouth every day and expect to lose weight.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Slick,
    A friend here at work is on WW and has lost nearly 8 pounds in 4 weeks, and one of the weeks she really wasn't 'trying'. I have always rolled my eyes at WW or any other diet, but, am trying it now cause it seems to work. One of the things I have my eye on, but, Dave Ramsey says no (he he he) is that PX90...muscle confusion. Instead, I keep meaning to implement something similiar on a smaller scale at home. Jumping rope, lunges, J-Jacks, using the Reebok step (yep, from the late 80's!!), etc. It kind of shakes things up (in more ways than one, KWIM?). Between that and portion control....I hope to have something to report in a month!

Keep at it, and keep moving.

Ok the best weight lose tip I have is this. It's not pretty but nothing works as well as this.
    Take all your cloths off.
    Sit down in front of a full length mirror.
    I did this, cried for 10 minutes straight, banged the floor, cursed my fat self and then lost weight.
    Never ever wanted to see that sight again.
    I was about 40 lbs over what I should be But those 40 lbs looked totally disgusting when sitting down. We never see ourselves sitting down, how the fact rolls around our mid-section, if we did McDonalds would be closed in a month.
    I have gained some weight again and it's time for me to sit in front of the mirror and cry again.
    Good luck

Slick please do go to weight watchers, i too can only tell you it is the best weight loss programme ever, i swear by it, i do it alone at home,and it is much harder without the support but so far i have lost 3.8kgs, it has taken six weeks, but for us older girls,that is a good average weight loss.

I have been very successful before with this programme, only putting it back on after having my second child and going back to my bad ways of eating,it really does have to be a change in lifestyle for life, i am still working on that one.

It truly works, if it doesn't then it is only because you are doing something wrong, evaluating your points wrong or something along those lines.

I almost eat everything i want on WW, i have treats every week, i could not do it without them,i eat low fat, drink my litre of water daily,you do have to be strict and stick with your allowance though especially if you are older.

It is not about what you eat so much , but the quantity, I have eaten chocolate, chips(oven jacket wedges,) burgers,(home-made ones )and ww museli bars, and chocolate eclairs, subway,does that sound like i am under priviliged, doing without, NO, but the thing is they are in moderation,not every week, and i eat low fat ,and plenty of fruit ,veges salads as well.

Be warned though DON'T be buying the ww chocolate eclairs until you are well into your programme, as you have to be able to restrict them to one a day, and they are to die for, i am at a point now that i can do that successfully, and it really gives me a power control buzz, i love having the control over how much i eat.

I am not a big believer in diet drinks, i used to consume them, but i honestly think they make me hungry, but i do believe in not drinking soft drinks at all, except maybe on a rare occasion. If i want a soft drink , then i will have one, but only one glass and only now and then.

I always have cereal and fruit for breakfast, weetbix,which are a low fat, high fibre,low sugar cereal with lots of vitamins and minerals,not sure if you get that over there and i have morning tea, a cuppa and a low fat or ww museli bar,lunch is often wholemeal and grain toast bread,two slices with a mashed banana or salad and a low fat ham or chicken, or a ham and tomato toastie, or low fat soup and one roll, a low fat yoghurt, afternoon snack is always fruit, dinner is usually a salad, one small potato and chicken, i do have red meat twice a week for iron, as i have had low iron, and i have a cup of decaf tea in the evening, this is usually what i have mostly, with subway and a mcdonalds ice cream every two weeks or so, and i have 3 squares of chocolate once a month.

I am not a person who has much variety though, as i am a very plain eater, but there are so many wonderful weight watchers recipes, that most people will enjoy, and gives you plenty of variety.

Sumbirdy, congratulations on your efforts, keep with it, YOU CAN DO IT, it is all about portion control and exercise.

I am very slack with the exercise, i have some health issues that make it difficult at times, but i still need to do it, that is my next resolution to get back on the dreadmill, i tried last week and only lasted five mins, oh dear,i am thinking i will reach a plateau soon and that is when i am going to need that much dreaded exercise, i guess i am holding off till then lol.

Good luck and keep at it, and remember dieting does not have to be no fun at all, and you can still enjoy nice foods and treats, and still loose weight, it is reducing those portion sizes that really matters.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I'm currently in my 7th week of Body For Life and this program is amazing! I highly recommend it.

In the first 5 weeks, I lost 5 lbs. of fat and gained 5 lbs. of muscle. The scale number of course stayed the same, but I was able to wear a size 8 pant that I hadn't been able to wear in 5 years. I was wearing 12's before.

All my pants are now loose and I'm digging out the belts.

The theory behind it is actually simple. Eat 6 small meals a day (a portion of protein, vegetable, and carbs), drink lots of water, and mix up your workouts.

I'm getting muscle definition in my arms and I'm actually starting to see my abs!

http://www.bodyforlife.com

Johanna, I have friends that are using P90X right now and are seeing awesome results. It's pretty hardcore, so I'm using BFL as a stepping stone and I plan to transition into P90X.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Slick.

Try the PATIENCE DIET!

You have to have patience to see the progress.

Your body is saying, "Woman, what are you doing to me?"

I suggest trying it for two months and if you do not see any results, try a structured weight loss diet.

I have done my walking - LOL I almost cried yesterday, I lost my peodometer and even went back to look for it- For the last week I have not been able to keep my pants up. I lost my handles and now have to pull my pants up higher and cinch the belt tighter.

Keep at it and don't go from program to program. It's way easier to give up when you 'fail' a bunch of times.

Stick to it or I'll kick your arse!

Yep Slick you have to stop listening to that little voice in your head, that say's oh well you might as well just give up, i had two weeks where i lost nothing, i was so depressed about it all as i really had stuck to my programme, i then analysed it and realised i probably had a few more points one of those week, only because i mis-calculated, i kinda guessed on a food item, as i don't have the books and all the tools ,and i was saying to my husband i am sick to death of it all , i might as well give up,but determination sank in and i did not give in, i mean yes if you work really hard and see no result ,of course your heart sinks and you feel what is the point.

The point was why should i go off programme and gain all the weight i worked so hard to loose, no way Jose am i going to do that, not this time, that little voice in my head can go take a hike permanently.

This week the results showed up on the scales, mind you i have to say thank goodness or i might just have given in to that stupid little voice in my head trying to sabotage my progress.

So go with the flow Slick and get started YOU CAN DO IT.

BTW Richard Good on you, you are doing really well, keep it up.

And Catnapper, you have given some good sound advice, i agree with you on so many points.

Just wanted to add, i had a real boost today, i tried on some of my old clothes, just ones i wear around home, and they fit again, and are looking so much better, sometimes trying clothes on is more of a boost than the scales, as they can let you down, but you sure know if you have lost by the way your clothes fit and feel.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Its HARD. The past year has been without a doubt the year I obsessed over food... what I was eating, what I wasn't... how much, how little. Ugh!

Here are some more things I've noticed:
    * There IS such a thing as eating too little. I notice if I eat every few hours, I'm never hungry. I don't over-eat at meals. I have consistent energy.

* Mix up your food. I ADORE oatmeal. I was eating it every single morning. I noticed I flatlined when I did, so I make myself mix it up. I eat oatmeal most days but I also throw in cold cereal and the occasional pancake breakfast.

* give yourself a treat each day. My current treat-du-jour is a Hershey's kiss. I look forward to that kiss every day. I make myself stop at one, unless Cameron insists I need one.... calories eaten on his say-so don't count I also love to look forward to fortune cookies, 100 calorie packs, etc.

* don't keep the food around. My daughter came home from college and wanted cheese cake. I'd have gladly goten it.... but I knew it would be inhaled the second it came home. I'm actually scared of Easter baskets next month! I can't resist jelly beans and Peeps.

* I can't stress portion control. Its shocking to see what exactly IS a portion. I now measure how much cereal I pour into my bowl. I was eating twice what I should have and had no idea.

* Also..... I can't stress the importance of a journal. Keep your thoughts and frustrations, as well as your success on paper. It makes you accountable. I never kept a food diary, but am told its the most powerful tool. I was just honestly too scared to SEE my food intake on paper.... then have a written record that someone else miught find? I have been thinking about trying one now though.

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth View Post
    Johanna, I have friends that are using P90X right now and are seeing awesome results. It's pretty hardcore, so I'm using BFL as a stepping stone and I plan to transition into P90X.
    Kimmy,
    Does PS90 require 90 minutes of exercise every day? Is there a diet component with it? (Since I am a veggie, I have found many diet programs are heavy on lean flesh...and it is hard to do a substitue with non flesh).

I will have to check out BFL!

"Have a look here - and get the book if you can (it's a small softcover, nothing huge). Made a difference for me! And they say 'skinny', NOT scrawny"

I really disliked this book. I don't need someone cursing at me! It's also a bit unrealistic everything they want you to cut out completely.

I lost 60lbs a few years ago. I just got sick and tired of being sick and tired! I did go to WW and it helped alot. I would recommend that for sure. Particularly good for moral support when you are discouraged.

My father, who was a smart ass (and skinny!) always said the only excercise he needed to stay thin was to turn his head to the right, then the left and repeat several times when offered food!

Claudia

One thing that helps me resist the sugar urges is lots of fruit!

One of my favorite treats when I want something sweet, cold and tasty is apple slaw.

I buy a bag of apples, I love green ones because they are tart! I add some red or galas to balance the flavor out....

I shred them, add some lemon or lime juice, raisins and maybe some celery, carrots or orange slices.

I keep a tub ready to eat and love it when I wake up in the middle of the night. A small plate and a few spoonfuls satisfy and refresh me on warm nights.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Kimmy,
    Does PS90 require 90 minutes of exercise every day? Is there a diet component with it? (Since I am a veggie, I have found many diet programs are heavy on lean flesh...and it is hard to do a substitue with non flesh).

I will have to check out BFL!
    P90X says it'll help transform your body in 90 days. There is a variety of workouts that come with the DVD's, but I'm not sure how long they are. I think the length of the workouts vary.

There is a nutrition plan but I didn't research it much.

With BFL, I work out for 45 minutes on my weight lifting days and only 20 minutes on cardio days.

For protein, I eat a lot of egg whites, cottage cheese, boca burgers and fish. I have chicken occasionally and red meat very rarely if at all.

I think BFL is very vegetarian friendly. Tempeh, Seitan, Tofu, Soy, ect. are listed as approved Vegetarian Proteins.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June