Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PT Cooking Magazine *SUPPERTIME*

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrahsim
    Right now I have a ham roast in the crock pot! The recipe calls for a pork roast but I am NOT a fan of the taste of a pork roast at all so I use the precooked ham halves instead
    This picture does not do it justice. It turns out soooo tender and yummy

3lb pork roast (I use precooked ham halves)
    1 large can crushed pineapple with juice
    2 to 3 Tbsp brown sugar
    2 Tbsp soy sauce
    1/2 clove minced garlic
    1/4 tsp dried basil
    about 4 additional ounces of pineapple juice

Place roast in slow cooker. Combine all ingredients and pour over ham. Cover and cook 4 hours on high and 4 hours on low. I think it helps to use a spoon to pour some of the liquid up over the meat whenever you happen to wander through the kitchen.
    If you want gravy to go with it you can remove the meat and use the juices. Measure out the cooking juices, add enough water to make about 1 3/4 cups and pour into a saucepan. In a separate bowl blend about 2Tbsp flour with 1/4 cup cold water until smooth. Stir flour mixture into the hot cooking juices and bring it all up to a boil. Stir constantly until thickened.

I usually heat up a loaf of store bought Hawaiian bread and some sort of veggie to go with it
    OOO.....that sounds good!! i have tons of pork in the freezer, since we had a pig slaughtered recently, and I am running out of Ideas! That sounds like a great dinner for tomarrow!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I've never made it with a regular pork roast so I can't offer any promises
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I tried something last night that turned out really well - flour tortillas for noodle/dumplings! My dad had told me about this. I stewed my chicken as usual with broth, carrots, onions and spices. About 10 minutes before supper - sliced up several flour tortillas and added them to the pot. It came out like Campbells Chicken Noodle soup The tortillas thickened up the broth a bit, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirrahsim
    I've never made it with a regular pork roast so I can't offer any promises
    I am willing to take chances! besides i have ham and pork! so I am good! I can try it both Ways!!
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by sirrahbed
    I tried something last night that turned out really well - flour tortillas for noodle/dumplings! My dad had told me about this. I stewed my chicken as usual with broth, carrots, onions and spices. About 10 minutes before supper - sliced up several flour tortillas and added them to the pot. It came out like Campbells Chicken Noodle soup The tortillas thickened up the broth a bit, too.
    hmmm I may have to try that I never make chicken and dumplings here because Paul doesn't like the big yummy homemade ones that you and I like to make
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Hmmm..I love anything with tortillas!! how small did you slice them??
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by critter crazy
    Hmmm..I love anything with tortillas!! how small did you slice them??
    I did half of them in thin strips not much bigger than the noodles in canned soup. The rest I cut about as big as a stick of gum - maybe three inches by 1 inch. I liked those better as they stay more chewy They also look more like my homemade noodles which we call "dumplings" in the south.

I wonder how it would taste made with corn tortillas? I bet it would be good as long as they don't go back to mush

I did half of them in thin strips not much bigger than the noodles in canned soup. The rest I cut about as big as a stick of gum - maybe three inches by 1 inch. I liked those better as they stay more chewy They also look more like my homemade noodles which we call "dumplings" in the south.

I wonder how it would taste made with corn tortillas? I bet it would be good as long as they don't go back to mush
    Awsome definitely gonna have to try that! yeah the thicker ones sound much better!

I dont know about corn totillas, cause like you said, it seems like they would mush up on you?? not sure tho?
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

I've been sick so I haven't gone out or done much of anything other than going to work. So, I've been cooking - mostly soup. Here's the past 2 night dinners and the Beef Veggie soup was just made for tonight.

Homemade Potato Soup

• 1 bag of potatoes
    • 4 onions
    • 3 stalks of celery
    • 2 cans of chicken broth
    • 1 cup of water
    • 1 cup of milk
    • A few dashes of salt (I like it salty, so I put extra salt)
    • A few dashes of chicken bouillon
    • A few shredded baby carrots
    • 2 sticks of butter

Cut potatoes, onions, and celery to the size you like.
    Boil potatoes in water.
    In another pan, sautee onions and celery with 1 stick of butter. When cooked add broth and water.

Drain potatoes, add celery/onion/broth mixture. Add milk, salt, and butter to taste. Shred a few carrots over top for color.

Chicken Catchatori

• 1 can/jar of spaghetti sauce
    • rice
    • boneless chicken breasts
    • carrots, celery, onions (optional)

Boil boneless chicken breasts until cooked completely. Shred/cut chicken to preferred size.
    Cook as much rice as needed to serve.
    Sautee carrots, celery, and onions.
    Put spaghetti sauce in a frying pan and heat. Once the carrots, celery, and onions are cooked - add to sauce.
    Add chicken to sauce and let cook all together for about 5 minutes.
    Plate a bed of rice, scoop on the sauce and chicken. Enjoy!

Beef Vegetable Soup
    • leftover steak
    • leftover rice
    • leftover greenbeans, corn, and peas
    • water
    • beef bouillon
    • 1 can of whole tomatoes
    • carrots
    • celery
    • onions

Sautee carrots, celery, and onions.
    Cut and then boil leftover steak in water, enough to cover the top of the steak slices.
    Add bouillon to taste.
    Cut can of whole tomatoes to prefered size.
    Combine into one pan and allow to come to a boil. Add rice.
    Last edited by Kfamr; 03-07-2007 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added a few ingredients to today's soup...

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Kay, I made the pototoe soup the other night...didn't look as good as yours. I made the mistake of taking the boat motor to it, I meant to just do it a bit but ended up doing too much.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Cuban Pork Roast

1 lb dry pinto beans
    3 lb Pork Roast
    7 C Water
    1/2 C chopped onion
    2 cloves Garlic, chopped
    1 T Salt
    2 T Chili Powder
    1 T Cumin
    1 t Oregano
    4 oz Green Chili Peppers (1 can)

Put all ingredients in crock pot for 5 hours or until the beans are done. Uncover for the last half hour to allow to thicken. Serve with Rice.

Pet Talk Cooking Consultants -- please see related topic about recipes for chili -- I don't have a good one, but I wish I did! Can you please suggest one? It can be either vegetarian or with meat.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=123459
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Heres a recipe that delicious! I had been meaning to post it for you guys but never got around to it. I made it it school and it was good so I got the recipe and I have had it plenty of times at home.

Quick Pasta with no vodka sauce

2 T. Butter
    1 clove of garlic, minced
    1 1/2 c. tomato sauce
    1/4 c. heavy cream
    1/4 c. chicken broth
    2 T. parmesan cheese
    A few pinches of crushed red pepper flakes
    2 c. cooked pasta

Melt butter in a large fry pan, add garlic, and saute until tender, but not brown. Blend in tomato sauce, bring to a simmer over low heat. Slowly stir in chicken broth. Slowly add the tempered cream to the sauce, stirring constantly. Add parmesan cheese and pepper flakes. Stir until well blended and thoroughly heated. Add cooked, drained pasta to the sauce. Toss to coat. Enjoy Then add more parm. cheese on top of the pasta w/ sauce, if you like it that way. (Also, if you have leftover sauce you can use it as a dipping sauce. I love dipping pizza rolls in it. )

I have now tried Kay's potato soup and mruffruff's Cuban pork roast - and both were just fantastic The carrots in the potato soup sure do add eye appeal and that recipe is buttery rich and yummy. The roast will also be a regular as I love the flavor of the cumin.

It really is fun to read and see what other folks have been making - gives me ideas I love this thread and the other "what is for dinner?" threads.

Soooo I am hoping to see more pictures to give me inspiration.

I tried a new recipe for supper last night and it was soooo yummy that I had to share it. This came from my Simple & Delicious magazine

Pretzel-Crusted Chicken for 2

2 boneless chicken breasts
    2 T honey mustard
    2 thin slices of honey ham
    1 1/2 tsp melted butter
    1/4 cup crushed pretzels

Slice a pocket into the side of chicken breasts to form a pocket. Put 1 T of honey mustard into each. tuck in the slice of ham. Brush the top with the melted butter. sprinkle the crushed pretzels over the top and press in to stick better. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

These were so, so good and very pretty also. The honey mustard comes from the regular condiment section - mine is made by Kraft. I love this stuff as it is not as sharp as yellow mustard - just tastes lighter. This recipe is also light and healthy - I used light margarine. The pretzels give it a nice crumbly crust. I hope you try it - it will be a new regular at our house