Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you base your political decisions on?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
    The neat thing about voting & thinking you are picking the right person is you can slam dunk them if they don't hold to their promises. If you don't vote you lose that right.

Great point!!!!

And this is why politics is like sports.

A team who signs any athlete to a contract is going on that player's worth for the next season. Their performance is in no way guaranteed.

So, if the dude screws up, the team let's him go. to be replaced by the second stringer.

Same thing in politics, you get some idiot who promises a perfect season - Kick the AH out and put in the second place runner-up.

Then watch things get done.

---------------------

The real gauge for a politician is what he says about health care. I am whipping a dead horse on this topic but there is now way in heck that I am going to vote for anyone who promises, without presenting at least an outline on how to reform the system.

It's something that everyone needs and will have to face in their lifetimes.

IT will never get 'fixed' until you separate the lawyers, insurance companies, drug and medical supply companies and doctors. They all feed off of each other and that's where the money is made.

Everyone complains about the cost of gas and the utilities. Ask anyone with sick relatives to get you a copy of the billing for a few days in a hospital.

--------------

I'd rather see a candidate start preaching about the "Apple a Day that keeps the Doctor away".

It makes more sense -your health coverage is bought by the pound.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I smiled reading this. See, it is my basic belief that people, left to their own devices, will do the most stupid thing possible. And that government has to set some boundaries in order to keep people focused on the best thing possible.
    This remark really saddens me. I think the American people, left to their own devices, would do a whole lot better than anything the Federal Government has done recently. Boundaries set by the government - haven't we seen too much of this lately??

Ask not what your government can do for you; Ask what you can do for your government.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    This remark really saddens me. I think the American people, left to their own devices, would do a whole lot better than anything the Federal Government has done recently. Boundaries set by the government - haven't we seen too much of this lately??

Ask not what your government can do for you; Ask what you can do for your government.
    Good post. this is my basic belief too.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I smiled reading this. See, it is my basic belief that people, left to their own devices, will do the most stupid thing possible. And that government has to set some boundaries in order to keep people focused on the best thing possible.
    I might clarify by saying 'let the people thrive' doesn't mean they all will.
    That's pretty much a Libertarian viewpoint. More freedom, less restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post

One day I hope we can meet, I'll explain American football to you in exchange for some pointers on what happens on the pitch with the Aussie style FB? It's far more exciting than stupid politics.

I'll buy the first round!
    Absolutely Richard! Having a yarn on football over a few quiet beers, is the backbone of communication in any civilised society.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by Oggyflute View Post
    Absolutely Richard! Having a yarn on football over a few quiet beers, is the backbone of communication in any civilised society.
    LOL, But Ms. Palin is ours! We saw her first!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post

Unfortunatley I think there are too many people out there who only have their hand out and want to know "where's mine?". I'm all for less government but I want that to also include less handouts.

Reminds me of the government housing projects in my hometown at Christmas. These people have their houses and utilities paid for (and I'm sure they get foodstamps and who knows what else) and at Christmas they have the most outside decorations I've ever seen. The area is so bright with Christmas lights you can read by it. My inlaws always say to drive through and enjoy the lights since we are paying for them.

From Decker with Love

The other 'talking point" that makes me crazy is the issues about schooling.

You can have the best teachers, classes and facilities and it no one gets the kids interested or makes them attend you may as well spend it on CHRISTMAS LIGHTS!

This goes back to the school that Oprah opened up in Africa.

She said that when she spoke to the American kids, they wanted iPods, jeans and other material BS.

A TV show-I think it was Colbert or Stewart, sent a reporter to a u.s. school and asked them if they wanted cool stuff or money for the schools. The kids were like, "Man, give us money for a good school!"

I have to laugh because Oprah probably asked them what they wanted, as opposed to what they needed.

I tend to think any kid would want a cool computer lab, pool or just plain air conditioning to make their school experience more bearable.
    Last edited by RICHARD; 09-01-2008 at 05:30 AM.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

I was reading someone else's opinion on how & what people should base
    their votes on. Qualities needed to strengthen all of America. This guy
    comes pretty close to how I make my choice & who I will support.

Dear concerned citizens of America and mass media of the U.S.A.

As a concerned disabled American Veteran and American citizen, I consider it my duty and responsibility to address the following critical issues facing the voters of our Greatgrand nation, the United States of America [USA].

The citizens of the United States of America [USA] have the ultimate power and responsibility to elect the Right Ticket with the right joint "temperament, judgment, and statesmanship" to lead our nation as well as change our nation's present and future moral, political, economic, educational, health care, energy, military, and foundational soul.
    In my firm professional, personal, and political opinion, the media should help the common voter to explore and discuss the following attributes of the present Republican and Democratic presidential slates:
    1. Does the joint ticket have a calm, cool, and collected " temper and impulse" [Presidential Temperament]?
    2. Does each ticket have sound and sustained "Judgment and Caliber"?
    3. Does each ticket have a "presidential depth and degree" in regard to their purpose, policies, and positions?
    4. Does each ticket have adequate, "understanding and knowledge" of workings around Washington"?
    5. Does each ticket have enough "vigor, wisdom and Vision" for the future of our beloved Great-grand Nation?
    6. Does each ticket possess enough joint foreign policy experience and ex-poser based on "American Values, Virtues, Vastness, and strong soul"?
    7. Are their campaign talk, slogans, ads, plans, and programs based on facts and are they free of fear, fiction, frivolous labels, unfair attacks, negativity, and impulsivity? [Danger to country and countries mission[s].

As a Independent registered voter I have decided to vote for Obama-Biden ticket. I am sure they will protect our national security, Strong's, stamina and strong soul. Rebuild our nation from bottom up in all areas of need, OBAMA-BIDEN ticket will once again restore and rebuild our global standing with the use of maximum international firm diplomacy and minimal force if and when indicated.

Yours sincerely,

COL. A.M. Khajawall [Ret] MD., Forensic psychiatrist, Colonel, US-AR / MC Combat Stress Control[Ret], Disabled American Veteran and Iraq Freedom team.

PS: This nation will not buy into kitchen sink strategy. We are getting deeper into internal and external holes thru these attack and world is laughing on us and enjoying our partisan Pitt Bull wounds. I am sure GOP.RC, FOX, RUSH, ROVE.And McCain's his surrogates will fail to dupe, deceive, and deprive USA its deserved leadership.

Posted by: COl. A.M.Khajawall [Ret] | Sep 4, 2008 10:16:24 PM
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    COL. A.M. Khajawall [Ret] MD., Forensic psychiatrist, Colonel, US-AR / MC Combat Stress Control[Ret], Disabled American Veteran and Iraq Freedom team.
    I have always wondered this about people who have 'extended' signatures.

Do they actually take the time to type this all out or do they have some kind of macro so they don't have to do it time and time again?

People who are writing political statements need to leave their military status out of their statements.

It's never prosecuted, but it is a violation of federal law and the UCMJ.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post

IF I could vote here ...

What is their plan for it (although this has become increasingly difficult
    to find out because not many these days want to lay their plan out for you
    ... they just want to tell you what the OTHER guy is doing wrong -
    that doesn't help anyone).

I try to listen to both sides speak ...
    I DON'T want to hear about how the other guy is doing it WRONG.
    I want to hear about how you are going to do it right.
    Darn shame you CAN'T Vote ... we sure need more INFORMED Voters
    like you!

I also deduct points for the negative ads and unending tails of how
    "That Other Guy is doing it all wrong ..."

I'm afraid that BOTH the Presidential Wanna-bees are into negative
    numbers in MY points tally ...

"NONE of the above" is sounding better every day.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    People who are writing political statements need to leave their military status out of their statements.

It's never prosecuted, but it is a violation of federal law and the UCMJ.
    Would you please tell that to the McCain camp? How many times do we have to hear about his VietNam experience?

Different animal, in that he's not using his rank to enhance his status. For instance, without the COL, USAR ******* after his name, would that statement have even been posted on this board?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Different animal, in that he's not using his rank to enhance his status.
    Senator to President - not enhanced status?