Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post office wanting to stop Saturday mail delivery

so will the post offices themselves still be open on Saturdays? That's the only day I can actually go when I have to mail a package.

I guess I'm just old fashioned. I pay all of my bills with a check... placed in the mailbox. I'm glad magazines come in plastic bags now, that way my name and address don't have to be on the magazine itself.

Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002 View Post
    Ok I would not miss Saturday deliveries.. Buttttt here is my Soap Box Issue = they also want to go up on Stamps Again!! They have gone up how many times now in the last 2-4 yrs?? Now then they print all kinds of diff people, cartoons & ect of the stamps.. Hello that cost money.. They also pay the Postal Workers Very Very Good Saleries.. So Again Hello just think of the cut backs that could be done.. But all they can say is we are Broke.. Well you know So Are the Rest Of US in the World.. Now that was my soap box gripe.. I am done now.. Thanks

Amen to that. USPS jobs are right up there in salary with Eli Lilly & Co., the other big employer in Indy.
    I wouldn't mind only 5 days of mail service. I use direct deposit and debit card so don't have to keep cash around.

Maybe the USPS should be privatized. According to LH, Managers
    who work there are mostly making their own problems. Time to bring
    on a little competition.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

And somehow I just lost half of a post.

TO add to the salary issue......

The temps working for the postal service earn $10 an hour. I wish they were paid more, but that's their contract. They can also be terminated without cause or notice, per their terms of employment.

However, the plant manager in Binghamton has been a temporary detail assignment for the last two years......which means the person filling the detail gets the salary of the plant manager (100K/yr) plus per diem at roughly $60/day, a GSA vehicle for their local driving and mileage for their commute to the area.

Also, the position which the acting plant manager was actually in needs to be filled.........under similar terms. But it's labor's fault.

As mentioned above, we have 4 supervisors for a maintenance staff of 29.......but losing money is labor's fault.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Maybe the USPS should be privatized. According to LH, Managers
    who work there are mostly making their own problems. Time to bring
    on a little competition.
    No, time to do what any other corporation in similar financial conditions would do........eliminate middle management.

I've looked at the USPS org chart. It is absolutely redundant, you could easily eliminate district management (needed 40 years ago, not needed now, all their functions have gone to either GSA, national HR, or area offices, which get all the data through the net) and no one would ever notice.
    Last edited by Lady's Human; 03-04-2010 at 05:25 PM.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Postal Schitzophrenia

To illustrate how inane postal management is:

A few years ago they started pushing customers out of the local post offices. They started selling stamps at CVS,wal mart, etc. (who, by the way, is under NO obligation to sell them to you for .44, they can make a profit if they want to)

Then they reduced the number of window clerks, because they weren't getting as many customers in the offices.

After doing that, they started the mystery shopper programs, and started penalizing clerks for not asking all the right questions........

then they started penalizing clerks for the lines not moving quickly enough.....

Then they expanded the product line to include priority mail......

and added to the number of questions you're supposed to be asked.....

and reduced the allowable wait time in line......

Then they removed vending machines from the post offices, so you have to either go to the window to get stamps, or go to CVS.

All of which lead to a spiral of ever more irritated clerks, and longer wait times in lines, which, by extension, reduces foot traffic in the offices dramatically.

Their solution to their revenue issue? Start selling more crap in the offices, which relies on foot traffic, which you've largely elmiinated through your own actions.

Tell me again why we're losing money?

Postal management is BRILLIANT!

Sound to me like you all oughta be giving the decision makers and other management fat cats the sack.

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
    Sound to me like you all oughta be giving the decision makers and other management fat cats the sack.
    I'd love to..........but to illustrate how they deal with bad managers....

The USPS has a zero tolerance policy towards sexual harassment. I've seen several craft employees get fired for it.

Okay, similar offense, ,similar punishment, right?

We had a local supervisor nailed for sexual harassment........he's no longer a supervisor, he was booted out of the plant. He's postmaster of a town, which is actually more pay than he was getting before.

USPS management NEVER gets fired.

Well that's a shame that the "powers who be" protect their own.
    The Public Service here is similar, even some of our pollies have been done for sexual harrassment, but just end up getting a better paid job out of the country as Embassy officials.
    Yep....the system needs a big overhall.

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    No, but I do believe the hold-outs on using the computer for banking, bill pay, etc, has decreased dramatically. I was one of those hold-outs for a long time before I trusted the internet enough to use it for these purposes.

Lol......too funny. I'm still one of those hold-outs, I pay all bills at my bank. Don't know if I'll ever use the computer for this. I like my receipt back stamped by the bank, gives me a chance to get out and see the tellers anyway. And I do my banking at the same time, never do that on line either.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----