Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mackinac Island, Michigan **more pics pg2**

Love the pictures - brings back many wonderful memories.

The first time I went over the bridge, I did not want to come back. There is something about the U.P. - something magical. I the western part, from Marquette west. And the Keweenaw Peninsula is my idea of Heaven. We spent a week in Copper Harbor one year.

The bridge doesn't bother me at all. We've been to the Island - had lunch at the Grand Hotel - back when they let you eat there even though you weren't a guest. And one of my all time favorite movies was filmed there - Somewhere in Time.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    I think I still really belong in New England! That was where I first really found a home of my own.

Since I've been back here I've found a lot of things about this area that are really nice and that I appreciate, but it still just doesn't feel like home.

But I wound up back here 8 years ago for reasons too time-consuming and tiresome to get into, and it's hard to think of uprooting yet again.
    Pat, the area north of Marquette, in the western part of the U.P. is almost identical to northern Maine. 2 lane roads, lots of tall pine trees and that wonderful crisp air with the pine smell.

Thank you, Grace. I've only been to the U.P. once.. When I was about 15 or 16 my family took a vacation trip up there, which I wrote about earlier in this thread.. We crossed the Bridge, not long after it had opened so that was a big deal, spent a night in St. Ignace where we saw the Northern Lights.

We then went to Sault Ste. Marie and got to watch the Soo Locks in action.. and also to the Keweenaw Peninsula and Copper Harbor.. I remember seeing and climbing over beautiful huge rocks.. bright sunlight and brilliant colors of forests and the shore and mighty Lake Superior.

Since I am back here, I should plan a trip up north again some time!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery