Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Japser UPDATE 10-17-2010 new photos

Wow. 12 is old...but not ancient, given how long many cats live these days. Mind you, some don't make it to 12.

Even though x-rays were taken only a week ago, I wonder about taking another set. I'm thinking they would show NO change...or perhaps growth as fast as the tumour in his foot. Or even if it is growing slowly, whatever that stuff in the lungs is, you would have an answer.

If it was only his leg, then at 12, I would say yes. It's the 'maybe' in the lungs that makes this difficult.

IF - IF it is cancer in the lungs, is it treatable?

In short - I just don't know.

{{{hugs}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Poor Jasper.

I totally understand how you feel 'rock in a hard place'. I would feel the same way given the situation.

None of us can tell you what to do, but since you asked what would I do if he was my cat, here goes.

I'm a fan of biopsies so I probably would have had it biopsied back in the summer when they found the lump. That doesn't help you now but just saying that's probably what I would have done there.

As for what's happening now. The suspicious spots on the lungs makes it more difficult. I'd probably have another x-ray done just to see if there has been any changes in the week since, that would answer alot of questions if there were changes there. If it spread I'd be more likely to just opt for making Jasper as comfortable as possible for whatever time he has left. I agree that it would be difficult to opt for amputation if he would still have cancer in his lungs regardless of what his age is. If the x-ray showed all clear and the vet thinks that there isn't cancer anywhere else, and gives a fairly positive prognosis for post surgery life, then I'd have to give it some serious thought to amputation if finances were available.

Basically for me it would come down to what the vet sees on the second x-ray, and the vet's opinon on quality/quantity of life for me. Depending on how well the vet is trusted, a second opinion might be an option if nothing else to confirm the diagnosis and prognosis or give you other options so you're not kicking yourself a year or so later wondering 'what if'.

Thoughts are with you and Jasper as you struggle with this. *Hugs*

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I'm leaning toward getting a repeat X-ray before deciding, but if it's growing that fast - well, I honestly don't know. What is Jasper telling you, anything?

Love, Columbine

If he were my cat, with his leg in the condition you describe and spots on his lungs, I would let him go before his quality of life deteriorated.

But that is my decision. You have to do what is right for you.

Thank you for the responses.

I have never been one to go the "heroic route" and do a lot of radical treatment just because it is available to me. True, I always wondered if I was being heartless by NOT trying certain options. But I am realistic that cats have a short lifespan.

But I am still torn in Jasper's case because he does not ACT sick.

I am one who will be with the pet and hold them for euthanasia, but I just cannot picture doing that to Jasper at this time. But the bleeding causes me to need to make a decision soon. Jasper is MORE uncomfotable with the wrap ON his foot, I can tell by the way he walk (he will limp with it on, but walk normal with it off).

That is why I feel that I am damned if I do and I an damned if I don't

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach View Post
    But I am still torn in Jasper's case because he does not ACT sick.
    This is where the difficulty always lies w/me. When my RB Puddy was so sick, I'd call my vet saying that "it's time", then Puddy would rally and I wouldn't do it. Of course, we want them to have quality of life but we also don't want to cut that life short b/c they're having a bad day. That said, I think I might go for another x-ray and watch Jasper carefully for signs that he's ready to go in the meantime. I'm sorry that I can't be of more help than that, Jen. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I would let him rest in peace

Jen, all things considered, I would let him go to the Bridge. You, of course, know what is best in the long run. I think we have the ability to NOT let a pet suffer. If you do decide to let him go, HE will be at peace - no more pain and discomfort. Cats can be quite stoic, so you never really know the degree of pain. I wish they could talk.

Good luck with your final decision. I know you will do what is best.

Sas

Prayers for healing & strength for you both.

p.s. How quickly can biopsy results be given for the mass on his foot? If
    they came back negative for cancer, I would go for the amputation. If positive,
    it wouldn't look good as to the "spots" seen on the lungs. Just my
    thoughts.Prayers for you both.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I am so very appreciative of all your honesty. And I can see how each person's advice is totally valid.

So I hope you do not consider me a great fool when I tell you that we are going ahead with the amputation tomorrow.

The amount of money that this will cost is so trivial that even if the cancer takes him in 6 months, I will feel that I did the best thing for us all.

Jasper will not have to endure the wrapping of his foot, or the growing of the swelling and the bleeding of the lesions, and we will be able to enjoy his special company for a while longer.

I can assure you, Jen, no one thinks you're a fool. We all know how you love your furkids and want only the best for them. We'll pump up the volume on the prayers, that's all. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Prayers for successful surgery & quick & complete recovery.

With you 100%.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

As I've said to others in similar situations...you will never be thought the fool. You are there and we are not-bottom line. We will try and offer hope, support, love and advice if asked....as well as purrs and crossed paws from the furbabies. You're doing what you think best.

Jasper, prayers for healing. Jen, prayers for the same - for your heart.

Maggie & Pinot girl
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

You are in my thoughts. Sending wishes for Jasper's recovery.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Prayers for Jasper's quick recovery, and many more months and years being loved by you!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

All paws here are crossed for Jasper, hoping that your sweet boy can be with you for a good long while yet.