Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do You Have Any Allergies???

Quote Originally Posted by AdoreMyDogs View Post
    I'm sorry to hear so many folks suffer from scary (or downright annoying) allergies.

When I was pregnant with Quinn, I had to be rushed to the ER after suffering a severe allergic reaction to Advair (that purple discus thing). My eyes swelled shut, both of them, face swelled, and more scary still, my throat began to swell shut. I was struggeling to breathe. I was pregnant and had to be given a shot of epinephrine, which is a HUGE no-no previous to the 3rd trimester. Thankfully I was just days into my 3rd trimester but I was terrified until I saw that she did, indeed, have 10 fingers and 10 toes. I guess it's known to cause many birth defects, including webbed digets. I had an epi-pen to carry around in case I ever came into contact with Advair, but the epi-pen expired and I never bothered to get a new one. I know I should, but I don't know anyone who uses it.

I was allergic to my Goffin's cockatoo bird and had to find a new home for her. It was like adopting out a child and it's a pain that still hurts to this day. I loved that bird and it shattered my heart to find her a new home. She made me have to use my rescue inhaler ALL the time, and I ended up having to use my rescue inhaler about every 4 hours, even after I re-homed my bird, her dust lingered for quite some time before my asthma became under control again. Stooopid allergies

Leslie, I'm sorry about your bird. I was afraid my DR would find me allergic
    to dog or cat dander & I'd have to think about rehomeing my furkids.
    Didn't happen but still that's a sad thought.

Did you ever try Spirva for your asthma? It's a once a day inhaled med.
    I use Advair 2x per day for COPD. Tried the Spirva first & it worked fine
    for better breathing but messed up my vision. Couldn't see clear enough
    to drive. I too, have a rescue (albuterol) inhaler. & don't need to use it much
    except when this PI reaction happened, then used it every 4 hrs too.
    Last edited by lizbud; 08-03-2011 at 06:59 PM.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

When I was about 10 I ripped my knee open on piece of rusty metal. I had to have about 10 stitches and at the time they did a test to determine if I was allergic to tetnus. I had a violent reaction to the test so they told me to never get any shots that have an egg serum base. It turns out just about all shots are egg based. I spent 6 years in the Navy traveling the world and escaped getting any of the normal shots required for foreign travel. In fact I recieved no shots while in the Navy.

I found I was allergic to Novolcane at about 7 so I had to have all dental work done without any deadening. That was back in the day of the old slow drill too. Today my dentist uses lidocaine that I tolerate well.

I have found as a adult that I am very allergic to Augmentin antibiotic. I spent several days in the Hospital after Augmentin treatment. It caused "C diff" which is something you don't wish on your worst enemy.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown