Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lip Fold Pyoderma?

For Sue or Sandra,
    From what you know now about lip fold
    pyoderma, does this condition only occur
    in the lip fold area or can it also be in
    the dog's gums or other parts of the mouth?
    Thanks for any info you may have. Liz.

P.S. The reason I ask is that Buddy's mouth
    problems have never cleared up even after
    the surgery .(Vet said is was a tumor on
    the gum ) Sometimes it is blood red & other
    times it's just pink, but still 'there'.
    The Vet gave Bud a RX to help with the swelling of the mass, but also for swelling
    in his knee joint.

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: lizbud ]

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: lizbud ]
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Liz, from what I read and observed in Killi's lip and mouth area, it doesn't go into the mouth. He doesn't have any sores inside the mouth. It is on the lip itself and in the folds. The gums part could be gingivitis maybe?

Oh by all means, Aunt Sandra, you may definitely call him "our Killi-Boy". I feel that we all share our furkids on PetTalk! There is so much empathy, sympathy, advice and caring on this BB!! We are family!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Wow! You guys,
    I am really impressed.
    I think you deserve the Dr. title in
    front of your names. lol
    Rocky, has a droopy skin fold too.
    That food collects etc. I think I will
    keep my eye on it.
    Maybe that is why he never had sweet
    breath.
    Keep us posted on Kil

----<---<--<{(@

Someone on the Dog Health BB sent me this info on Pyoderma:

Mucocutaneous lesions around the lips and corners of the mouth appear as redness and crusting—problems that seem to occur more often in German shepherd dogs. Mucocutaneous pyoderma can be differentiated from immune-mediated skin disorders and nutritional disorders by a skin biopsy, but most cases will respond to topical antibacterial medications, alone or in combination with systemic antibiotics. Recurrence is likely.
    Unfortunately, if your dog has a rash, it’s not likely to go away on its own. Your veterinarian may offer antibiotics as the treatment of choice if pyoderma is suspected, but he or she is likely to look for an underlying cause, which could be something as simple as poor grooming, or something as complex as an endocrine disorder that suppresses the immune system. If the skin problem is particularly puzzling or problematic, then a veterinary dermatologist may be consulted.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Thanks Sue!! It's always a good idea to be "armed" with as much info. as possible! Amazing the amt. of info. you've been able to gather up. What a perplexing condition!!! Prayers are coming that Killi will, once again, prevail in quick order!!! It sounds like this condition might just be (dare I say it)...responsive to treatment??? I know that you and Killi will handle this with the grace and courage you two have always shown when faced with adversity. You go Killi Man!!!! And give your sweet sister Shi some kisses from me!! Love to Sue, Shi and Killi from Sandra, Cody and Star.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

How's the Killi Man doing?????

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Thank you for asking Aunt Sandra. Killi is on the last day of his 2nd type of antibiotics. I've been putting Neosporin on it, too. His lips aren't as crusty and the smell is better. A few days ago, I tried another med on the lips, but the smell came right back, so I switched back to Neosporin. His appetite is not too bad. So, I guess we are improving. The folds are really deep, so I wouldn't be surprised to have to have surgery some time down the road (if his liver can take it)!

Great big slurps and wags to Aunt Sanda, Star-ski, Cody-cutie, Mr. B, Oliver and Squeekers

Killi (and Shiloh and Sue)
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Sue, glad to hear Killi is doing some better, poor boy, this has been such a long process for him. He is so brave to take on all the things he has been through. He deserves lots of hugs and kisses and you deserve lots of credit for trying to do the best for him.
    Jackie

You're so right, Aunt Jackie!! Sue, I can't tell you how just the mention of Killian's name puts a smile on my face. I know I've said it again and again. But Killi, you are my hero. We hope you all have a good weekend and stay safe, warm and well. Keep up the healing dear boy. Love, Aunt Sandra, Mr. B., Oliver, Star-ski and the Cody ("Do you really think I'm cute") girl!! You know, Star's heart beats a little quicker everytime she hears your name!We love you, Shi and your mom lots!!

Thank you Aunt Jackie and Aunt Sandra (blush)!

Mom tells me all the time that she's so glad that she got me 'cause who knows what wouldda happened if someone else did (if I even wouldda made it out, death row, you know ) I'm still happy and enjoyin' life for now, sose that's good. Mom is onna liver-d BB and it makes her so sad 'cause so many of the other l-d guys are at the end of the battle. I'm doin' good enough for now and we're gonna fight every thing that comes up. BTW, I got weighed and I weigh 90 lbs. Even though I should weigh 110, the nice lady vet said we'll be happy with 90.

Wags and slurps to all and a to sweetie Star-ski

Killi
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Hey Killi buddy this is Graham. my moms been keepin me so bizy that i just now had time to talk at ya! i hope you lippie problims stop for good anna dokters tell you that your all better. your mom soundz reely nise. she is reely takin good kare of you to make you all better. you an me, we kame from sim a lar back groundz and its alwaze nise to heer what good mommiez n daddiez us pound pups ended up with. any way i hope ya get and stay better. you are a speshal pup and you are my frend.

your frend Graham.

Graham, old buddy! Yeah, it was probly fate that brought us to r ma's and dad's. The day I got 'dopted, ma was called down there to go look at a great pyrenees. Some how she got me! HA U r lucky to have your ma and dad, too. You gots a pretty bad owwie there and look how nice they took carra u, too.

Big high 5s onna paws to ya an yor ma and dad, too!

Killi
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

The weekend's coming and we always think of our pal Killi when Fri. rolls around. How ya doin big boy??? Hope and pray that the new treatment is doing it's job! Thinking of you with lots of love. Aunt Sandra, Cody and Star**ShINe**!!

Hi, Aunt Sandra, Cody and Star!
    I'm doing pretty good. I'm all done with the antibiotics and my lips have cleared up a lot. Mom is still putting Neosporin on me everyday to help keep my crusty lips in check. One thing happened yesterday, though, when my human brother gave me some cheese, I droolled out some blood on the floor. Mom came runnin, but couldn't find anything bleedin on my lips or in my mouth?? I don't know where it came from. Me and Shiloh had some fun today chasin' each other in the snow. We had a good time!! Hope you guys are all ok! Thank you for thinking of me!

Hugs and slurps, Killi (and Shiloh and Sue)
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Good goin' Killi Man!! Maybe the bloody stuff in yer mouf wuz from choppin on some snow or ice??? We do that! Hope you have a nice weekend wif yer fambly and keep feelin well. Slurps, tail wags and butt wiggles!! Love, yer pals, Star**ShINe and Cody Girl!!