Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Terri Schiavo - so sad :(

im glad they removed it; she wasnt there at all. that poor woman was stuck in purgetory (sp?) for 15 years!
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

My parents have been talking/"debating" about this all morning.

Originally posted by LKPike
    Whatever the reason, its incredibly sickening to me that a "Doctor" would rather watch a human being starve to death in several weeks time, instead of giving her a quick lethal dose like they do with some prisoners.
    I completely agree, which is why IMO, assisted suicide should be legal. Living like that is NOT a life for anyone. That poor woman.

I also just can't believe that they keep removing the feeding tube and putting it back in.. for me, that would be like torture.

It's all very, very sad.

She isn't hooked up to "machines".
    She is breathing all on her own. The only help she needs is a feeding tube. She might not even need that is she was given a chance to have therapy.

As to why her husband would want her gone, well, he has had two children with his mistress. He can't marry her and make them legal until Terri dies.

What next? Visit all the nursing homes and get rid of all people who have trouble taking care of themselves?

Just a couple of months ago, a lady here in Kansas came out of a coma she had been in for over 10 years. She knows her parents and can speak and is recovering.
    Miracles DO happen.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
    She isn't hooked up to "machines".
    She is breathing all on her own. The only help she needs is a feeding tube. She might not even need that is she was given a chance to have therapy.

As to why her husband would want her gone, well, he has had two children with his mistress. He can't marry her and make them legal until Terri dies.

What next? Visit all the nursing homes and get rid of all people who have trouble taking care of themselves?

Just a couple of months ago, a lady here in Kansas came out of a coma she had been in for over 10 years. She knows her parents and can speak and is recovering.
    Miracles DO happen.
    MOFF, this whole thing has got me so upset. I thought I'd stop in at the Dog House and see if there was a thread going and how people are reacting. I can only say that I agree with you 100%.

This "husband" has been that in name only. His heart and life is obviously with his other family. The people who love and care about her are her parents and I simply cannot understand why he doesn't turn things over to them and let them take her home and care for her as they want to so much. With no living will, the thought of ending her life should not even be entertained. Every time I see the "husband" on TV I get sick to my stomach. I heard today that years ago he refused an MRI for her and has never allowed her to have speech therapy. There is a question of whether there was physical abuse in the marriage. No wonder he wants her to remain mute and eventually dead. This whole incident will certainly set a horrible precedent if she is allowed to die.

What I would do if I were in control of this situation would be let her parents take care of her and order all sorts of rehab and therapy for her that might be helpful. I'd give them 6 months to a year to see if there is any improvement. Then I would re-evaluate her condition. After this long, one more year shouldn't matter to her husband and may make a world of difference to her.

At least give her a fighting chance to improve.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

What a paradox we have here all in the same week. A wretched excuse for a human being has snatched an innocent 9 year old girl from her bedroom and killed her. He is on "suicide watch." People (for some insane reason) don't want him to die. Why? I say give him a little poison and leave him alone for a few minutes and see what he does. Why is there so much care taken for the rights of hardened criminals and none for a woman such as Terri Schiavo. Who is looking out for her? Thankfully some are and I applaud them.

not to bring in another controversial topic but..

this is another reason why i totally supported Dr. Covorcen's idea with helping people.
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    My husband and I both have signed living wills. I urge you all to do the same. That way, during an awful, emotional time, your wishes can be carried out. I hope that none of my loved ones ever have to make this awful decision. But, if they do, I hope that the living will I signed will comfort them and they will not feel conflicted about disconnecting me from all artifical means of support.

All they would be doing is letting my body die. My spirit would be long gone, crossed over the rainbow bridge, reunited with Kuhio for all time.

I remember reading that Christopher Reeves' mother wanted to "pull the plug" after he was paralized. She received a lot of criticism about it. But, when Christopher was able to talk again, he calmed everyone down and told them that she had just been trying to carry out his wishes. Luckily for them, they had 10 more years together before he died.

From what I've read about this case, Terry's husband has tried to carry out her wishes (or what he tells us is her wishes) from early on. This is not a recent development. It hits the news every few years. I am very upset that the government is getting involved. Yes, it would be great if her family could come to an agreement. But, getting the government involved is not the way. How would you like some strangers in Washington telling you how to handle your family business?
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I am so angry over this.

Terri's husband has moved on with his life . . . has a new woman, children . . . he needs to let this go also.

I wish that the family could make this decision . . . but I only think that it should be left in the family's hands IF the ENTIRE family can come to the same conclusion. And obviously that's not the case.

In 1997, Terri was eating and drinking with her mouth. Her husband ordered that she only have the feeding tube. Now he wants to starve her to death . . .

This is his way of getting rid of his guilt . . . the guilt of moving on with his life.

To starve her to death . . . how can anyone be OK with that?

Mancow said it best this morning . . . We can't starve a dog to death, but . . .

This is just so upsetting . . .
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

This is truly a tragic situation but the federal government HAS NO BUSINESS getting involved for either side. I was floored that the state government passed "Terri's law" and was glad when it was overturned. I'm truly p*ssed that the federal government thinks it should get involved when the Supreme Court has already said it will not listen to the case because it does not have jurisdiction. It is a ploy for votes, nothing else ,and I look forward to it blowing up in their faces.
    The complete Knit-wit and occasional domestic diva.

Going to a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

One of the things that gets me is when people say to go a head and let her starve to death because she won't feel it.

HOW THE HECK DO THEY KNOW??????

I think she will feel it. They didn't think people in comas knew what was going on either. Now, they are finding, lots of them do know what is going on. Terri may too. Unless someone has been in her condition and recovered enough to tell about it, they will never know.

I watched them starve my dad to death and I think HE did feel it and he was in a coma. It still haunts me because I couldn't stop it.

Fox News said this morning that when this first happened one of the nurses that was taking care of Terri was able to hand feed her. Terri's husband made her stop and told her he wanted a feeding tube or nothing. It was a email they read this morning.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Republican no more...

This has ME upset too. I wish someone would explain exactly what forces were behind all the hoopla on Palm Sunday night. Whatever is important enough to gather all these politicians? I don't think it really had anything to do with the family or Terry Schiavo - something else must be behind this.

I don't believe the federal government has any right to interfere in 15 years' worth of court decisions. What will happen now to individual state's rights? What business does the government or church have to meddle into such private things??

I keep wishing someone without ANY political agenda would explain what happened last night. Who paid for all this??? WE DID. It must have cost a fortune...

The whole thing scares me. Maybe I am paranoid - but it seems as if our lives are under far too much control - by goverenment, church, interest groups...I don't even know who was responsible or behind this latest mess but it was far bigger than it should have been. Since when do lawmakers use vacation time to listen to hearings?? Exactly what brought all those politicians out? What is the true agenda??

I suppose the only small comfort is the Living Will & Advanced Directives I have carried for many years. I have an illness (renal failure) that will eventually take my life and so it has been VERY important to me to take care of this one thing I feel I have some degree of control over.
    Living Will/Advanced Directives: These are free. There are even available at websites - just need notorizing or two witnesses, depending on your state. If you don't have one, get one. Keep copies on file with your doctors, hospitals, at home and Xerox shrink a copy to carry with you at all times. Hopefully - if the time ever comes to have it honored - it will still be legally binding.
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 03-21-2005 at 11:56 AM.

Murder is always a concern of the government and the church, or should be.

This would be legalized murder, plain and simple!
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
    Murder is always a concern of the government and the church, or should be.

This would be legalized murder, plain and simple!
    MOFF, that is one opinion - but then - is a Living Will considered legalized suicide??

Isn't is possible that the right to die with dignity really WAS this woman's desire?? I know most folks dislike her husband (hard to think well of him) but nobody can really knows what she wanted, unfortunately.

Are you honestly saying that all of the thousands of people on life support systems on any given day around the world.. who's doctors and family's agree there is no chance of recovery. Who's heart, liver, eyes etc could be used to save someone elses life. All of the doctors and family members who heart breakingly agree upon the final act of respect.. they are murderers!?