Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My beloved, beautiful Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by K9soul View Post

A while back, I read a book by Dean Koontz called A Big Little Life (thanks to Staci's recommendation and bringing it to my attention). It is about Dean's love of dogs and in particular his special golden retriever, Trixie. As the chapters wound down to the final one and I came to the inevitable sad end that is unavoidable, he said some profound statements that deeply touched me.

I remembered this today, and found the book so that I could reread those passages. I would like to share a couple of them here that had particular meaning to me and may also to you.

"No matter how close we are to another person, few human relationships are as free from strife, disagreement, and frustration as is the relationship you have with a good dog. Few human beings give of themselves to another as a dog gives of itself. I also suspect that we cherish dogs because their unblemished souls make us wish--consciously or unconsciously--that we were as innocent as they are, and make us yearn for a place where innocence is universal and where the meanness, the betrayals, and the cruelties of this world are unknown."

"Dogs' lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you're going to lose a dog, and there's going to be great anguish, so you live fully in the moment with her, never fail to share her joy or delight in her innocence, because you can't support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelong companion. There's such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is a way we do penance for all the other illusions we allow ourselves and for the mistakes we make because of those illusions."

Maybe that helps give an answer to the agonizing "why" when our hearts are torn in two at the passing of these angels on earth.
    This is so true. Tommy's video was wonderful. What a good boy. You're still in my thoughts and prayers Jess. {hugs}
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I saw a comment on Facebook that made me come over here. I am so very sorry to hear about Tommy. There is never a good way to lose such a loved and cherished companion. Please accept my sincere sympathy and this very big *hug* on your loss. Run free, handsome boy. x

I'm so very sorry for your loss of Tommy. It is heartbreaking you had to say goodbye to your sweet boy so suddenly. I know the pain is unbearable, you will miss him terribly, but in time, I hope it will be a comfort that he didn't have to suffer a long and painful illness.

I watched your video with tears in my eyes - what a sweet and handsome boy he was.

Jessica, my heart goes out to you - please take care!

Rest in peace, sweet Tommy!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Your tribute video is so beautiful it brings tears to my eyes. Tommy will be very much missed.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

So sorry for your loss. What a shock you must be in. But how loved he was! I don't know why you're saying you won't ever see him again. Maybe you believe that. But I don't. I believe it's no accident or coincidence that we are brought together with special furry friends. I believe it's meant to be and that we WILL one day see them again. But for right now, and until then, please accept my deepest sympathy. RIP Tommy.

Still thinking of you Jess.

You're missed Tommy!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I'm Deeply sorry of your loss of your boy Tommy,Words cannot express how sorry i am.It's never easy loosing our beloved pets,You now have a Beautiful Guardian Angel walking every step with you,He's not far,He will never leave you.

Hugs to you!

I don't know how to get through this. I went to my mom's yesterday and stayed overnight. It helped distract me for awhile. But when I woke up I just felt a sense of panic that I have to face this again. I have no appetite until late in the day but then when I eat I just feel nauseated. The only time I feel any peace is when I finally feel tired enough to just curl up with the girls and go to sleep.

When I came home, I called his name. I knew he wouldn't come, but I called for him anyway. Maybe I'm losing it.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Oh Jess, it's so hard. You're not losing it but I'm sure you feel like you are. It will take time, a long time, to feel better about Tommy.
    He will always be in your heart. {{{hugs}}}
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Jess i know the feeling all too well . My heart breaks for you.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Quote Originally Posted by K9soul View Post
    When I came home, I called his name. I knew he wouldn't come, but I called for him anyway. Maybe I'm losing it.
    Jess, I still talk to my Bobby even though I know he's not there. I don't know for sure that it's normal but I don't think it's that an abnormal thing to do after losing a loved one. Heck, I would often talk to my hubby after he died too and I think I stayed relatively sane.

It is so hard I know. I don't know if this makes a lot of sense but maybe it would help a little if you could think of what Tommy would like you do. He was a happy very much loved dog because of you, wouldn't he want you going forward living your life with the legacy of some of the joie de vive he had lodged in your heart, to ease the sorrow a little day by day.

Love and {{hugs.}}

Oh I am SO SO sorry!!! I know you must be having such a painful day already and I pray you can remember all the happy times together. Praying 4 you! Rest in peace, Tommy
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

I lost him a week ago today. It doesn't seem possible that it has been a week.

Sometimes it hits me anew and I feel sick with the shock of it.

Thank you everyone again for your kindness and love, for your reassurances and understanding.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    It is so hard I know. I don't know if this makes a lot of sense but maybe it would help a little if you could think of what Tommy would like you to do.
    Jess, this is what I thought when I lost John, and it does make sense! Take your time to grieve and do/say things others may consider crazy - cry all you want, it helps in the long run - and you're allowed to! We're here for you.

Sending big hugs and lots of love.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I'm so so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose a furbaby when you think they're perfectly healthy. My heart is breaking for you and I wish there was something that could ease the pain.

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo