Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Your occupations

Originally posted by emily_the_spoiled
    Some people would call me masochistic or very sick, but I am now finishing up my PhD in economics.
    BOTH, you are both...

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    I enjoy the pet grooming, but I'm not sure if I can do it. The other groomers say I'm "too nice." lol. What I would really LOVE is to open up some sort of pet store....not much market for it in Utah....buuut....like that has grooming, day care, and I could sell my own pet art and crafts. Oh boy what a dream, lol, unfortunately this would require $$$! Anyone wanna donate? ha ha

I don't know. Just clueless here. I'm not sure how to make a profession out of art. I can't TALK to people, it SUCKS being shy!! Sorry for rambling on here....
    OK...I have several comments that I hope can help...

1. About the shy thing...join Toastmasters or another group. I know it's hard, but you need to make the decision to DO something about it. I'm really serious. I had to do it, and YOU have to do it to survive in this world. I got a job (where I work now) when I was 19 and was forced (I forced myself) to join Toastmasters because I was too afraid to give my opinion. This led to not liking my job, loss of my sence of value and not being very happy during the day. Toastmasters is a VERY supportive environment and after over 4 years I am finally getting my second designation and can't begin to tell you the conifidence I've gained.

2. Get a loan and go to school. There are many, many, many grants, loans and scholarships out there for anything you want. It's amazing how much funding there is out there.

3. I would suggest getting a Business degree with a minor in Art. That way, you can totally fullfull your dream job. (Which, by the way, sounds WONDERFUL!)

4. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. You are 18 and have a whole life ahead of you. Take a Career Planning class at a local community college...have you considered starting there? It's MUCH less money and you have time to find yourself.

5. Keep on keeping on...do the things you love and don't get discouraged...it's hard working and going to school AND paying for college. I do it and it's very hard...but I have my goals set and they will happen eventually.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Catoholic, there are many days when I know that I must ahve been delusional when I agreed to enter the program. . Although some of the work that we have done has made a difference at both the national and state level. It has made people think about some of the consequences of some of the health policy that is made in this country. That is what makes it worthwhile, even though there are plenty of days when I am pulling my hair out

Wolf_Q,

Some of the more interesting things I have done over the years have been related to short courses that I have taken through a local community college. These have given me exposure to a wide variety of other potential areas for work. Just because you are young is no reason to sample some of the options that are out there. For example, the Americore program pays you a stipend to perform community work for one year and then provides money towards a year of post-secondary education. So there are plenty of opportunities out there, although you might need to use a little imagination to find them

What is Toastmasters?

Is it some sort of group to overcome shyness?

I was extremely shy...still am to an extent. I guess that was part of the reason I majored in Communications...to push myself to get over the shyness...can't tell you how many presentations and speeches I sweated through.

The funny thing is if I was talking about subjects that truly interested me(as oppsoed to those assigned) like animal caretaking, spay/neuter pets, popular books, dance I was perfectly at ease. I guess I'm just weird.

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

The funny thing is if I was talking about subjects that truly interested me(as oppsoed to those assigned) like animal caretaking, spay/neuter pets, popular books, dance I was perfectly at ease. I guess I'm just weird.
    I know exactly what you mean. I used to volunteer for an HIV clinic (eventually stopped because I my emotions couldn't handle it anymore). But one thing I did was safe sex workshops, I could get up in front of a large group of people and talk about sex and safe sex and those kinds of things. But when I meet someone new on a one to one level I just stand there and don't say anything because I'm too shy to talk.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Toast Masters is a national organization that assists individuals with speech related topics...like, working on speaking in large groups, improving your presentation skills, etc. I think EVERY medium sized city would have at least ONE group. Cincinnati has four or five toastmaster's. They meet differnent times, places.

8. When I was in college I had to give a speech at a commencement activity. I was HORRIBLE. I sounded like I had just run a two minute mile. I decided to take public speaking classes.

I'm now practiced at public speaking -- do it all the time (I teach as a SME). I think of it as a performance. But without a script I'm like UABASSOON...

But when I meet someone new on a one to one level I just stand there and don't say anything because I'm too shy to talk
    What I've learned about one-on-one conversation is....ask questions! It is far easier (and more fun) to ask questions and learn about other people. What brings you here? Are you from ____? What was it like growing up here (or there)?

BTW....I think Toastmasters is wonderful and often recommend it for employees.

And, something I tell people...when you are nervous...it is soooo much of an ice breaker to say to someone, "I 'm nervous, large crowds get to me" or something similar. There are very few people that won't go out of their way to assist another.

I was told when I first started out as a claims adjuster to let the other person know I was 'new' cause it creates a situation where you are immediately put at ease, and the other person 'wants' to help.

Wolf Q- are you sorry now that you just didn't say you were so on target with life, loved large crowds, and blah blah? Who knew we would all jump in to help? See? That proves my point!!! Put your self out there, and let others know what is going on...the world will rush to help you...he he he...

Originally posted by Chinadoll
    What is Toastmasters?
    Is it some sort of group to overcome shyness?

Toastmasters is an international public speaking club. We have two clubs in the office I work in and have six clubs in our offices in California alone. If anyone is interested, the website is www.toastmasters.org

I've given about eighteen speeches and so far have been nervous for each one. Just not too bad anymore...there were times I would even show up or pray to get into a car accident. Those fears led me to do a speech on the fear of public speaking...it's Number One!! Even over dying!

The best part about these clubs is that most times, everyone else is just as scared as you are. My biggest challenge now is working on word choice when I speak...I tend to hurry through my speeches.

All the speeches you give, you can talk about whatever you want...just in a certain format or context. I've given many speeches on my cats! My last speech had to be a demonstration, so I demonstrated how to "Grow a Healthy Cat". I brought in lots of cat stuff and talked all about it...I even went over my time of 10 minutes.

OK, my commerical is now over...
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

hmmm..toastmasters sounds interesting...depneding on how brave I am, I'll check into it.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    But when I meet someone new on a one to one level I just stand there and don't say anything because I'm too shy to talk
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I've learned about one-on-one conversation is....ask questions! It is far easier (and more fun) to ask questions and learn about other people. What brings you here? Are you from ____? What was it like growing up here (or there)?
    I'm so much better talking to people one on one than in larger groups. Yep, when I run out of topics to talk about I start with the questions.

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

I am the IT Manager/ Network Administrator/ Senior Programmer for a Fortune 500 company. I do not work in head quarters, but in one of their GA branches.

In my free time, I coach rowing to kids and heavily involved in cannine rescue. I also am a mentor for girls with eating disorders.