Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Signs she's going into heat?

wolfsoul
    I wonder about that too, they would rather spay a smaller dog? Looks like it would be harder don't it? I mean all these tiny insides and then the larger dogs, looks like everything would be in plain sight? LOL. The vets around here go by the size of the dog, the larger the dog the more it cost. Do they do that where you live? I keep looking at my Rottweiler and thinking wow how much are they going to charge me for her, more money than I can come up with. Thats what I get for living in a small town I guess, and living on a fixed income.

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Yes, the vets here will make you charge extra if you're dog is alot larger or is overweight or has other problems. I'm getting my cata pup (future puppy) neutered when his testicles descend. The surgery and recovery is easier on a puppy. So I won't have to worry about those extra costs lol.
    I've been BOO'd!

Yeah, it true, isn't it, they don't charge as much to do a male does it? It really hard when you live on a fixed income to have stuff done, so you just have to put money in a piggy bank and save, save, save. My husband is diabled and its hard, has all kinds of heart and lung problems. So my pets are my comforters.

I understand the procedure for males is much simpler (for pretty obvious reasons). I know a neutering costs less here than a spaying.

Maybe they charge more for larger dogs because they take more anesthesia?
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Originally posted by K9soul

Maybe they charge more for larger dogs because they take more anesthesia?
    Good point! That's probably it.

And yes, castrating is much easier. They will even let the vet techs do it. You know that they can do it without anesthesia if you want? I think that's just terrible!
    I've been BOO'd!

I'm pretty sure that they charge more for bigger dogs because they use more anesthetic.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

I want to tell you about what happened a few years ago, the vet in my very small town, had to finish cutting the tail off of my capauchin monkey, I know I am getting way off the subject, but I wanted to tell you what he done. and I didn't know this until he started cutting, well anyway, here is little bugger, that was her name, laying there while he is cutting her tail off, and I said she don't look like she is asleep, and he says oh shes not asleep, I just gave her a drug to make her not move, and that she still feels the pain. OOHH, I will never, never take my babys to somebody like him again. She was feeling the pain!!!!! May he have a surgeon like that!

trayi52, that is horrible! You'd think a vet would be more compassionate!

Honey, if you just knew the full story on this guy! Lots of horror stories it would make your hair turn gray. When any of mine get sick, I go out of town.

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    Good point! That's probably it.

And yes, castrating is much easier. They will even let the vet techs do it. You know that they can do it without anesthesia if you want? I think that's just terrible!
    that is not really the reason, I asked the vet about why they charge so much for larger dogs to get spayed, and it is because they have more fat to cut through and it is a longer procedure.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I forgot to add that he has picture up in his office of him as a little boy, working on his stuffed doggie, and it says " and he always wanted to be a vet"

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    that is not really the reason, I asked the vet about why they charge so much for larger dogs to get spayed, and it is because they have more fat to cut through and it is a longer procedure.
    yeah, well I got that info from my vet that wanted me to wait to spay Syl. I swear he is really great. He was good with Angie when she needed blood transfusions and he did everything possible. He is also a millionare, which I like because he does this because he likes to help animals and not for a living. However, my family has known him for over 20 years, so he is older and some of his thoughts may be a little dated. Although this spaying thing is the first thing I have found that his opinions differ from the Pet Talkers.

Originally posted by trayi52
    I want to tell you about what happened a few years ago, the vet in my very small town, had to finish cutting the tail off of my capauchin monkey, I know I am getting way off the subject, but I wanted to tell you what he done. and I didn't know this until he started cutting, well anyway, here is little bugger, that was her name, laying there while he is cutting her tail off, and I said she don't look like she is asleep, and he says oh shes not asleep, I just gave her a drug to make her not move, and that she still feels the pain. OOHH, I will never, never take my babys to somebody like him again. She was feeling the pain!!!!! May he have a surgeon like that!
    I worry about how Harley's tail got cut. I think he came from a home where a dog is "just a dog" if you know what I mean. Also Sylvia had an operation for hernias when she was at the breeder and her thumb claws (I can't believe I forgot their real name!) removed. I hope everything was performed properly!

I'd certainly understand that for a spay procedure but I was wondering more about the neuter procedure. Surely that bit of difference in the size on a neuter procedure wouldn't warrant a price increase?
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Originally posted by K9soul
    I'd certainly understand that for a spay procedure but I was wondering more about the neuter procedure. Surely that bit of difference in the size on a neuter procedure wouldn't warrant a price increase?
    It is the weight of the dog. Anesthetic goes by weight. The vet weighs the dog and then assigns the ammount of anesthetic to be given, a bigger dog requires more.