Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Glacier's 21 Doggies!

Wow, that is quite the doggy crew!! I just love all your dogs Glacier, thanks for sharing all of them!!!

Thanks Kay!!

~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you~ -Batman Begins

WOW!!!! It´s so great to see all of your doggies..they ALLL are so gorgeos and it was fun to read stories about them how they did come to you...Thanx for sharing all those photos with us

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

It is soo nice to hear that after everything that they went through that they had you to come along and show them the best heaven, a loving home! I loved reading all the stories, and all those that are sick or passed, will or did pass happy, and that's what really counts!
    Cassie
    Luv dem Mutts!
    Life, Love and Animals!
    Website!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/cassieknipp1987
    [IMG]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid170/p55ee44e13669922dd2a003559e15c6e4/f3fe6076.jpg[IMG]

cyber-sibes pointed out that this thread is a little out of date! We actually have 23 dogs now!

Deuce is listed here, but at the time he was a foster dog. Deuce is staying so I'll add some detail to his story.

Deuce was a stray in a small community north of where I live. I've heard from various people that he was there for about three years. He had a route where he would stop in and get food, but no one claimed to own him. Eventually, Deuce started causing some trouble like getting into garbage ect and the village council decided that he should be shot, along with 2 other troublemakers. Fortunately, a nice young man thought that was a little extreme for just tipping over a few cans! He took Deuce and his buddies in and kept them in his yard until the shelter where I live had room for them. His buddies were clearly pets at one time and were adopted together very quickly. Deuce did not adjust well. He had gone from full freedom, to a chain, to a very small kennel. He's probably never been inside a building before. He was bouncing off the walls! In a small setting, that energy can look aggressive. The staff at the shelter thought Deuce should be euthanized. My husband, who worked there at the time, thought otherwise. I met Deuce one afternoon and brought him home that night. Deuce has some issues to be sure--he never learned all the stuff he should have as a puppy and his energy levels are boundless! But he is not aggressive. He loves people and attention. He just needs to learn to ask for attention by means besides knocking you over! He's coming along and learning his doggie manners! He's also a workhorse in harness and loves to pull.

Sundin arrived in November 2005. He's almost six years old. His momma is my Pingo. Sundin came from the same musher who gave me Pingo. He is a distance racer and Sundin isn't cut out for that, just like his momma.

He's very timid. It took almost three months before I got to touch him at all. Now he lets me catch him fairly regularly. Somedays he still acts like he hates me, but really he wants to play chase. He thinks it's fun to make the human run around! He's a sweetie. He loves other dogs and is full of bouncy happiness. He's a good sled dog too, likes to run in lead and knows his stuff.

Ok, now we are up to date again!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I never knew that you got Sundin! I knew that you had officially adopted Deuce though! Thanks for updating Glacier!!!
    Gina, you might have to change the title to Glaciers 23 doggies!

Steph and Jes

That's a great picture of Deuce! Another "adoption success" story, eh?
    And it sounds like Sundin is starting to find his place, too. He looks really satisfied in his pic, what a wolfie-grin!

I'm going to print this out. Thank you for taking the time and energy to post this. Bless you and Stuart and all extraordinary 23 puppers! Don't forget to dust off your angel wings once in a while.

I've been Boooo'd!

Howdy neighbor - great write-up of your crew!! I didn't realize that when you got Preacher & Franklin, you didn't have too many dogs. Oy, how they multiply eh!??! I guess at that time when I took the 2 sisters, I only had two others... yikes!

(I LOVE the look of Chum! But of course, ol' Franklin & Preacher have a spot in my heart too....)

Glacier, you should try to get a book published with all these wonderful stories’s and pictures.
    You didn’t have a dog until you met your husband?
    This question was asked by someone else in another thread and I would love to hear your answer.
    Does the alpha dog treat the other dogs differently? For example, a dog that's not the alpha dog but isn't the lowest in the pack, would the alpha treat him better than the dogs who rank lower than that dog?
    Also does the alpha treat females differently from other males?

Thanks to BCBlondie for this great signature!

I agree, you need to do a book with all these wonderful doggies and their stories. At the very least a 2 year calendar!! You are the very luckiest person in the world. And those doggies, they are just so heartwarming, each and every one of them. Thank you for sharing and for doing what you do for all of your animals.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Quote Originally Posted by mtn_chick
    Howdy neighbor - great write-up of your crew!! I didn't realize that when you got Preacher & Franklin, you didn't have too many dogs. Oy, how they multiply eh!??! I guess at that time when I took the 2 sisters, I only had two others... yikes!

(I LOVE the look of Chum! But of course, ol' Franklin & Preacher have a spot in my heart too....)
    Once we hit double digits, things went nuts! What's one more when you already have 15!

For those that don't know, mtn_chick shares her cabin with Franklin's littermates!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I'm just waiting for you to say that you've officially adopted Daisy too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes

Quote Originally Posted by auggie
    Glacier, you should try to get a book published with all these wonderful stories’s and pictures.
    You didn’t have a dog until you met your husband?
    This question was asked by someone else in another thread and I would love to hear your answer.

Does the alpha dog treat the other dogs differently? For example, a dog that's not the alpha dog but isn't the lowest in the pack, would the alpha treat him better than the dogs who rank lower than that dog?

Also does the alpha treat females differently from other males?

I didn't have a dog til I met Stuart. I grew up with them--not huskies, but a vast assortment of mutts! Before Stuart, I lived in a condo in Calgary. The condo rules only allowed pets under 20 pounds so I had cats. I adore cats too! Stuart had Muskwa when we met and an ancient GSD he was permanently dog sitting. Muskwa was a crash course in huskies! Cobber was a delightful, crotchety old man. I miss that boy.

In my pack, Muskwa is the alpha dog and he treats everyone fairly equally. There are two exceptions. He has issues with Heyoka. Heyoka is likely to challenge Muskwa someday for top dog and will likely win just due to his sheer size. Muskwa does not like it if Heyoka gets too much attention, especially from Stuart. Right now, a loud "Muskwa, let it go" is enough to get him to leave Heyoka alone. The other exception is Earle. Earle is the only dog here that Muskwa has known since early puppyhood. Muskwa will protect Earle from the other dogs. He can snarl at Earle occasionally, but no one else is allowed to. Earle's very laid back so it's rare Muskwa has to step in anyway.

Muskwa plays with everyone, but normally he initiates play with the subordinate dogs. They sometimes try to start a game with him, but he will ignore them until he wants to play.

He treats the females the same, maybe even a little better. He has great respect for Sleet. She's much older than he is, but occasionally she wants to play. She almost always looks for Muskwa to play with. He's very gentle with her and never tries to play Husky WWF with her. He's also one of the few dogs Goldie will play with. Goldie has issues, but Muskwa gets through to her. I wouldn't leave him alone with Kayleigh. I wouldn't leave any dog with Kayleigh, but they have gone for walks together and she's been fine with him. She's highly dog aggressive so for her to even tolerate his exsistance is fairly major!
    --John Irving

That was wonderful..I always enjoy all your post and these have been the very best my heart just swells with pride for you and your help with these wonderful dogs..

15. I dont think i had met them all yet either.
    what beautiful dogs!!