Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: My buddy (co-pilot) Steve

We went to see him again yesterday and his eyes opened and seemed able to focus, a little. His jaw is wired shut but he seemed to at least know we were there. He can't really follow directions "blink if you hear me" but definately seems heading for a slow but positive prognosis. Lots and lots of physical therapy and time, especially time - but so what? I will tell him you are thinking of him. Thanks dear friends.
    Laurie

Great! Another positive report. Laurie, one thing you all need to remember is the ups and downs that are involved. There are going to be good days, there are going to be fantastic days, there are going to be bad days and there are going to be horrible days. The only way you can survive the bad and horrible days is to remember the good and fantastic days, and know that more are ahead.

Oh, and Laurie, you're wrong about him not having lots and lots of friends. Even though we here at PT can't be physically in the room with him, we are all here in spirit for him, his family and you. {{{hugs}}}
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Oh, and Laurie, you're wrong about him not having lots and lots of friends. Even though we here at PT can't be physically in the room with him, we are all here in spirit for him, his family and you. {{{hugs}}}

Absolutely Debbie and I hope you will relay this back to Steve, Laurie. Please let him know that many, many people around the world are praying for him.

So glad to hear about the improvement. It will be a long hard struggle but I believe that with time, love and hard work he can get back to where he was before the accident.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

His card is in the mail with pictures of my babies (hopefully will make him smile when he can see them) and I mentioned to Regina about him and asked if she would send a card too and I think she is.

(Take a shoe box or box about that size to put his cards in for him. We use to put the cards on the table, window sill or around and as newer ones came in, we put the older one in the shoe box so he could someday go through them.)

How is he doing now? More alert and aware?

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Sis:
    I'm going to pick up a card for Steve tomorrow and get it in Monday's mail. Still praying fo him and his family and friends.
    xoxoxo
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

--Polar Express

Went to see him again today and every visit seems just a little bit better. They do have him in some sort of isolation thing where we are asked to wear the hospital coverups and such but that's ok. I didn't have to wear a mask and he looked directly at me. His mom & dad have an appt with his primary Dr on Monday so maybe, FINALLY someone will have some answers about a reasonable, honest prognosis of where we go from here, and what to expect, when. They even had a TV on in his room, I suppose to give him something to listen to instead of the beep beep beep of machines. Turner & Hootch was on so perhaps he got a little "dog fix" in his subconsious How can I possibly explain how wonderful you all are to care so much for someone you've never met, well.. except for you Phred Bless you all.
    Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by lbaker

How can I possibly explain how wonderful you all are to care so much
    for someone you've never met ...
    well... except for you Phred
    Bless you all.
    /s/ Laurie
    Well, HE cared enough to drive across Pennsylvania and a lil bit more ...
    I think he already understands *caring for people* ...

Just his turn to Get Some!

Give him a {{{HUG}}} from all of us.
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Well I can't say I wasn't warned about "Good days and Bad" Both Debbie and Laura warned me. I'm upset about the non-answers his folks and I are getting/not getting. I don't think his Mom & Dad are anyway prepared for the time this might take. This was a bad day for Steve. No response at all. But that's only the hour I was there. It could be different in an hour, right? I think it's time for me to be a bit pro-active and, can I say "pushy"?? I want. I want to show him a picture of his dog Steffie and ask him to touch the picture. Would that be OK? No one will answer, so I'll just DO IT.
    I could swear that I see something in his eyes. Is this wishful thinking? NO IT'S NOT. He's there ~ I just know it.

{{{hugs}}} Sis. You all remain in my prayers.
    --unknown

--Polar Express

Laurie - prayers being offered for Steve........and you too.

It must be so difficult to see a dear friend in this condition.

Yes, Laurie, just do it! If you end up doing something that the hospital really doesn't want you to do, they will be sure to let you know. In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with being a little.....pushy...even when it comes to getting answers out of his doctors.

Hang in there sweety. {{{hugs}}}
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I could swear that I see something in his eyes. Is this wishful thinking? NO IT'S NOT. He's there ~ I just know it.
    That is why you all keep talking to him, play his music and BE there! Be ever so careful what is said in ear shot of him too, he only needs to hear positive things. Tell him how good he looks, who said what and even tell him a joke or two. Let him know that you know he is there and just can't acknolage it and not to let that scare him, even comment it sould be all the drugs in his system so not to be scared or afraid. Just remind him, he needs his strength to recover and let his body heal, stressing only steals his strength and he need that to heal. Talk to him as you would any other time in his life.

Yes, good days and bad days... I know those so well! Lack of information I know about too. Do not let it discourage any of you. Regina just found out last week that Eddies discharge from the hospital is only temporary, they thought 2 to 3 months at home would do him good.

Tell Steve I am still praying for him and have asked other to pray for him too so he has the south covered for prayers. I have another card ready to mail as soon as I get to the mailbox..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

This isn't easy to write so I'll try to just say certain *points*
    His mom & dad finally spoke to the main Dr and he said
    Steve is not responding as well as should be [should be? after being hit by a train?] and not responding to "directions"
    Although he appears to be aware of people around him they are not sure if he knows who we are.
    After a month [almost] it's basically "what you see is what you get".
    They should start thinking of a nursing or rehab institution for him.

I did have a wonderful talk with our PT friend EmilyTheSpoiled/Cheryl. She and I visit and she is in the health care field and she said that moving him out of the Hospital where he is, is a prudent thing to do. His immune system is down and he actually will be better off in another facility. There are some options. I am checking out NIH for Clinical Trials or other resources. Poor Steve has no insurance or assets and his folks can't cover all this.
    I have phone calls and emails to make to try to find as much info as I can.
    His mom & dad are elderly and understandably too distraught to "chin up and go on" right now. Thank you all and updates will be forthcoming. It ain't over till it's over. It "ain't" over yet.
    L

Oh Laurie, I don't know what this means for Steve, but we are with you. Let us know how things are and what we can do to help you.

Laurie, I am so sorry. I was hoping for something much more positive. I will keep Steve, his family, and you in my prayers.