Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: ~*Memorial Day Weekend Gathering SUNDAY ~*May 29th, 2011~*

Another picture of the "kids"

And the rock

I had a kind of rough week leading into the weekend. First the place I bought the stone called and said that with the weather being bad they didn't know if they could have it ready. I said I paid extra to have it ready and I had people coming from all over to see this rock and I HAD to have it. Then on Thursday she called and said that the rock was too big for their box whatever that meant so did I trust her to pick a different one. What could I say after I told her that I HAD to have a rock.

She did okay but it was half the size of the one I chose. I was disappointed but Carl was happy because moving it became less of a problem. On Friday the Director of the park called and said it was against the law to bury any ashes in a public park so that is why I came up with the memory box which is yet to be buried. I will have to get at it soon before the Ohio soil becomes brick.

But after all the worry with the rain, change in rocks, change in what would be buried under the rock everything came off wonderfully well. I am sure Phred was up there saying, Relax, everything is okay - everyone is talking and having a good time and what more can I ask for for a memorial tribute?

On a different note and I hate to bring it up, but since my sister put up half of the money for the rock, I could use a few more contributions to the cost of it. It cost over $200 and I have just over half of it. If you can even send $5 or $10, it would really help us out.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Check is in the mail. Incidentally, how much does the stone weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
    Check is in the mail. Incidentally, how much does the stone weigh?

about 78 pounds Carl guessed that day.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Well, that shouldn't walk off by itself.

Obviously they have to weigh the stone to know how much to charge. I guess that probably isn't too obvious if you have never bought large stones before. Anyway, they charge by the pound, different rocks cost different amounts. The first rock I chose weighed 200 lbs. It wasn't as sparkly but no one could really walk away with THAT stone. I knew this weighed less than half when she told me what she chose. She had said this weighed 78 lbs. A man could pick it up and take it but it would be a heavy load and the gate is pretty far from where it is.

This one is prettier - it has some shiny bits of rock in it - but the other was one no one could move on their own. But I am sure it will be safe at the dog park. In fact since it is not close to the gate, I am sure a lot of people won't even know it is there. Many people stand close to the gate and never venture around the dog park at all. They let their dogs run or play for a while and then leave. Which makes the spot even nicer. Any one who wants to go spend quiet time with "Phred" can do so and be almost unseen by others near the gate. I am really grateful to the Park Director for suggesting that spot because it is away from the gate and is quiet and peaceful. And I can remember many a time we set at the picnic table with Phred to talk and be out of the sun.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Here in Delaware there are specific places you can and can't bury cremains. Even at sea, it is supposed to be 5 nautical miles from land. But they also turn their heads - don't ask/don't tell seems to work - and who is to know???
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Staci, I will contact you and send you a check.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Thank you.

I've just viewed the pictures for the first time since getting home. I so appreciated all that was done to honor my brother's memory and his participation in the Pet Talk Family. Karen, your words are beautiful. Diana and Staci - your hard work and planning paid off!!! And Carl's cooking was the best.
    You all were his adopted family, just as the members of the fire department were his second family for many years. I enjoyed meeting everyone and hearing your stories of Phred. He was and will be so special to me and I'm proud of his life and contributions to the lives of others - both 2 and 4-footed!!! Thank you all again for honoring him in such a wonderful and moving way. He would have pshawed the hoopla but enjoyed the commaraderie and all those good eats!!!! He definitely would have approved of the barbeque!!!
    Love to all - Nancy

Better late than never?

Cinder and Smoke

Huney

Anna with a mastiff

Tori

Chipper with the stone

Robin

Freyja trying to get Kia to chase her

Freyja and I

Cisco

Roxey

Well, its about time, Amy! You are right though, better late than never!

Enjoyed the pics, except that one of me...Yuck! LOL

I was so happy to see you again, Amy and to meet your hubby. I really hope we can get together again someday and spend more time together. {{HUGS}}