Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you keep your indoor cats collared?

Do you keep your indoor cats collared?

I've been thinking about this, probably after I read about a lady that had an apartment fire - it wasn't a bad fire, but one of her cats went missing after it was over. Nobody got killed, she was sure of that, but during the hubbub one cat got away and disappeared. She looked for weeks after the fire, in the neighborhood and at vet's and animal shelters - she never found her cat.

My indoor cats don't wear collars, but this makes me think - what if I had a fire? If they got out, and got away I would be devastated. And cats get so scared at things, like firemen, or their home destroyed.

But on the other hand, I get paranoid that a collar could get caught on something, and choke them.

I know I worry too much, but what about you guys? Collars on indoor cats?

Edwina has never had a collar around her neck (harness outside.)

However, she is microchipped.

Yeah, I'm worried about that, too. Bo has had a collar on (he used to be an indoor/outdoor cat) but Abby and Hanna have never had one on.

I wanted Hanna to get microchipped when she got spayed, but the wires got crossed in my instructions and they didn't do it. I didn't want to have it done when I picked her up from the spay - I figured she had been through enough and I'll probably have it done when she goes in next year for her shots. I read some pros and cons about microchipping, and one of the cons is that there are still a lot of vets/animal shelters that don't always scan for chips. I'll probably have it done anyways, hopefully to all three cats.

The only one that would even allow it is Basil. He wears one...and to be honest...more for the amusement of my hubby and I...he looks really cute in it.

He wears the safety collar, they break open if they get in a "situation".
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Originally posted by NoahsMommy
    The only one that would even allow it is Basil. He wears one...and to be honest...more for the amusement of my hubby and I...he looks really cute in it.

I think we need to see a picture.

I like Basil, he's such a unique color.

Safety collars, that's what I was thinking of. When I had my outdoor cats, one of them was really good at getting his collar off. I would find them all over our property, he hated wearing one.

By all means, unless you are 100% sure that they'll never get outside, either collar them or chip them.

My cats are allowed outdoors and I'm fanatical about making sure that they always wear collars. I use breakaway collars and the kitties do occasionally lose them, so I have backup collars ready the moment they come home naked. (of course, since you have indoor cats, you'll be able to find the collars)

Also, make sure you have some nice photos so that, worst case scenario here, if they do become lost, you are able to make posters with their pictures on it.

Originally posted by catland
    Also, make sure you have some nice photos so that, worst case scenario here, if they do become lost, you are able to make posters with their pictures on it.
    LOL! LOL! If anyone has pictures of our cats, it must be us Pet talkers!!

Now seriously, I think it's a very good idea to have your cat microchipped or something similar. I'm not sure how much it's done in Denmark, but many cats here gets earmarked - Fister is.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Oh yeah...I have pictures!

I am 100% sure my cats don't get out, but in the case of a house fire, all bets are off. The dogs would be easy - put them in the yard away from the house (we have a huge part of our yard fenced), but the cats would be scared.

I think I will start looking at collars, maybe some pretty ones - with safety features. And microchipping, I am pretty much sold on that.

I stopped putting collars on my cats because of Zasper death. She had a safety collar and everything, but it didn't seem to help. I came home one day and she had passed away because she choked on her collar, it somehow got stuck in her jaw. It was one of the scariest and most tramatic things I'd ever experienced. So since then I don't think I will ever put a collar on any of my cats. As soon as I get a little extra money I'm going to get Corkscrew and Tibby microchipped. Here's a picture of my Zasper, she's very missed but I know she's happy at the rainbow bridge.

I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Ours don't wear collars when indoors. We were thinking about it, but the sad story of Zasper helped change our minds. Ours are microchipped and they wear elastic collars with bells if they're in the garden
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

mine do NOT wear collars indoors. I tried it once with Neko. Luckily my fiance and I were home because he got the round hook that attached his rabies tag to the collar stuck behind his bottom canine teeth. Poor thing was trying so hard to get it off he was bleeding everywhere. We had to make an emergency visit to the vet on a sunday so she could cut it off. We will Never do that again!!! If the cat isn't used to wearing a collar, it's not worth it
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Oh no, Uabassoon, how sad. What a terrible thing. Now I'm thinking I'll just stick with the microchipping. But if not all vets/animal shelters scan for chip, it would be terrible to lose a cat just because they weren't scanned.

I wish I could take a big marking pen and write their name and phone number on them. (just kidding, but I do wish there was something else I could do).

maybe you could keep them shaved on the tummy and tattoo your phone number! sorry I know it's not a funny subject, it scares me too, very much. if any of them were ever to get out and got lost, I would be so upset, panicky.
    no collars for my cats, but I am considering microchiping.
    but the real thing that scares me, about them getting outside, is the coyotes! I lost a cat that way once. at least Im pretty sure thats what happend..

Now that I am all worried.
    I only have a collar on one. But it has no tags. I have never had much luck with collars on the cats. They fight it. And only one is microchipped. I know that anything could happen, but we are extremely carefull with the door open. I just have to have faith that they will stay safe.

How sad, uba....I am sorry about Zasper. I don't think I will collar mine...but I think I will stay away from the shaving and marker idea, too...