Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think my cat is sick

I think my cat is sick

My cat has bad diarreaha and won't eat its food. We had to put it outside because it was making such a mess.What could be the problem. Could tuna cause the problem? He doesn't want to be messed with or bothered. What could we give him. He seems to be in allot of pain.

"Old dogs are like old shoes: they are comfortable. They may be a bit
    out of shape and a little worn around the edges, but they fit well."
    NEW ADDITION: 6 lovely Rhode Island Reds!

Go to see the vet. This really sounds bad. Cats dehydrate quickly and it could be necessary to give him IV fluids.

All the best for him/her!

Poor kitty. I too think you should take your cat to the vet, or at least give him a call. It's important that your cat drinks, so put bowls of water around in different places. Cats often like running water, so try that also.

There are diet foods for almost anything these days, so I think you should get a bag of that - preferably from a vet! The stuff they sell in pet stores are not as good, and the vet will know which one is the best for your cat.

Good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

GO TO VET .... ASAP
    Untreated this kills kitties. Sounds like Coccidia which needs antibotics to treat. To much of human tuna can cause runny potty. However, when kitty doesn't want to be bothered with or messed with he/she is ILL and needs to see a vet. That's their way of tell you they are sick since they cant verbally talk to you.

Sorry, putting kitty outside doesnt treat the problem. Please put out bowls of water for kitty. Dehydration is a concern.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I agree with all the others GET HIM TO A VET ASAP!! Grab him and RUN as fast as you can...If he is in pain, he shouldn't have to suffer like that when there is probably somethig they can do to help..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I'm with everyone else here, get your cat to a vet NOW! Do not give him/her any more tuna and tell the vet you've been feeding the cat tuna. PLEASE TAKE YOUR CAT TO THE VET and then let us know what happens. We will be praying for a speedy recovery; this sounds serious.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

We called the vet and they said that tuna is okay but the tuna that we gave him has oil in it and to give him raw meat. I think He is getting a little better.

{{{{{{{Prayers}}}}}}}

As ill as you say your kitty is your vet didn't want to see the kitty?
    That doesnt seem right.

Yes, Oil in tuna isn't good for cats. Spring water tuna just small amounts and not daily because of the mercury levels.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I recently learned that when an animal won't touch food or water, it can be extremely serious. I agree that an emergency visit to the vet is in order, if the cat is still not eating or drinking.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Now he is going on like he usually would and he is eating little by little and he is cleaning his self up.

PHEW! But still watch him real close for a few days....make sure he is drinking water too.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I'm happy to hear your kitty is feeling better. Hopefully he keeps on eating and getting well.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

uhhh...

I'm confused, the vet said to give him raw meat? Why didn't the vet want a stool sample and to examine him? We do not feed cat's raw meat! It's a good way to get sick. Why wouldn't the vet ask you why you aren't feeding him cat food? Or are you and tuna is an occasional treat? Tuna is bad for cats every day. (is my understanding) Is your vet a licsenced vet?
    pixie

Re: uhhh...

Originally posted by leslie flenner
    I'm confused, the vet said to give him raw meat? Why didn't the vet want a stool sample and to examine him? We do not feed cat's raw meat! It's a good way to get sick. Why wouldn't the vet ask you why you aren't feeding him cat food? Or are you and tuna is an occasional treat? Tuna is bad for cats every day. (is my understanding) Is your vet a licsenced vet?
    I was wondering about the same. When Luna has diarrhea, my vet is always telling me to bring her in and she would get meds and - if necessary - she's sending a stool sample to the lab.

I'm glad your kitty is feeling better, but if something like this happens again, maybe a second opinion (from another vet) would be a good idea....?

Kirsten

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Your kitty's health could be jeopardized by feeding him different foods. Every kitten and puppy is born with roundworms which left untreated can cause serious problems. Has the kitty had shots I hope? This is VERY important to do as indoor/outdoor ones can contract deadly viruses. Tuna is not good for cats at all, and the raw diet has been used by some people with great sucess, but there's many many things you need to add to make it a complete diet. Has your kitty been to the vets for a checkup I hope? He could have inflammatory bowel disease,or any number of health related issues a professional should be addressing by examining the cat.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~