Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think I might be making a mistake...

I think I might be making a mistake...

I woke up this morning with my little skin baby snuggled up against my side. On the other side of him was Boomer, all curled up, with his head on Tyler's legs... I don't know what to do I have had several people offer to help with the cost, but I'm so scared about putting him through that plane trip. On the other hand though, it's almost September so I only have about 3 weeks to find him the perfect home here.
    What do I do??
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

THAT,IS SO TOUGH,BECAUSE YOU,AND BOOMER,AND TYLER HAVE BONDED,AND BOOMER,THINKS THAT YOU,ARE HIS FURR EVER MEEEOOWMIE!
    WE PRAY,THAT YOU CAN FIND JUST THE RIGHT HOME,FOR THAT BIG WONDERFUL
    CAT!

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My thoughts. Even though I don't know the complete story, if it was me, I would somehow try to bring him home (USA) he obviously loves you all, and you all obviously love him much. You may regret your decision later if you dont bring him home with you, and something happens to him in japan. I just know, if it was me, I could not ever forgive myself....but thats just me. You must think about it (I'm sure you have) and do what is best for him and your family situation. best wishes to you all.
    Nothing says love like a kitty purring in you ear

1-1-06 buddy in basket bright

How does Boomer act when in a carrier? Did you work on training him to be relaxed in it? if the answers are GOOD and YES..........bring him home! He will be perfectly fine. If he panicks, and by that I mean claws, scratches or thrashes, when closed in a carrier, then he is not a good candidate for the flight.

I would really like to see him stay part of your family.

Take those people up on their offers!

'nuff said!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I have a friend who took his cat from Canada to Japan for a couple of years, and they had no problem transporting kitty. I think the cost was very low as well less than $150CAN.

When I return to Canada (I am in Spain now) I will be bringing three dogs and a cat home with me!

Boomer does fine in a carrier. He tends to just curl up in the corner. Shipping from Japan to USA is quite a bit more expensive. It'd be somewhere between $700-$1000.... I'll make some calls and see hwat I can find out.
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Originally posted by jackie
    I have a friend who took his cat from Canada to Japan for a couple of years, and they had no problem transporting kitty. I think the cost was very low as well less than $150CAN.

When I return to Canada (I am in Spain now) I will be bringing three dogs and a cat home with me!
    Wow I hope it is that cheap. I am taking my cats to Italy and the cheapest we can fly them for is $300.00 each.

I say bring that baby home Missy. He loves you all so much and you all love him. I think the flight may be a lot less stressful than the rehoming and if you have people that want to help then that's all the more reason.

Take those people up on their offer and bring Boomer home.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

DO IT!!!

13 hours in a carrier? Heck, cats sleep longer than that!

I do not think you will regret the decision to bring him home. Will you be able to manage the baby and Boomer at the airport? I think it is worth the effort.

If money allows bring him home! I know the feeling of being nervous about transporting, but as long as you're not traveling in extreme hot weather, it should be fine. Good luck with your decision.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

If you dont bring Boomer home with you, given the opportunity, you may regret it for the rest of your life..he's part of your family.

Perhaps you could do some research on long flights and consult your vet, there may be some tips and solutions to make the trip easier on him.

I hope you can make it work. Go with your heart.

I really think you should look at all your options, if you can afford it you should bring Boomer to the states with you. Good luck and I hope things work out.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Re: I think I might be making a mistake...

Originally posted by Sirrahsim

... I'm so scared about putting him through that plane trip.

Boomer does fine in a carrier.
    He tends to just curl up in the corner.

Shipping from Japan to USA is quite a bit more expensive.
    It'd be somewhere between $700 - $1,000.

He's FAMILY ...
    you wouldn't leave the SkinKid in Japan, would you?

Somehow your quote of $700 - $1,000 seems AWFULLY "steep"!!

And I thought that in one of the many other threads about Boomer
    you had said that "someone" was wlling to accompany Boomer
    as a "Carry-On" - so he could ride in the cabin
    rather than in the cargo hold????

Either way - the price sounds out of line ...
    Call the airline and ask again ... be sure they understand he's a KAT -
    not a Horse or a Cow!

And ask the Base Family Services folks for ideas -
    Boomer can't be the First & Only Military KAT that needed a way
    back home to the States!

He certainly may not "enjoy" the long flight home ...
    but I'd bet given the choice of "stay" or "fly" ...
    he'll jump in the carrier and slam the door himself!

And ask the Military Folks if there's any way he could "sneek onto"
    a Military Flight to the States.

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

more info from this part of the country....

There are lots of complications but Missy is looking into them. The trip is very long....13-17 to the port- Newark and Atlanta are the most likely, whatever layover there is and then the last flight to Ohio. My total flight and wait time was 24 hours when I flew from Japan. If he comes in at Clevaland - that also means a five hour car trip. Also - she will have to ship him as cargo - they have told her that Narita will not allow animals in the passenger cabin (even if she is on the same airline) - also the flight she has to come home is Continental. The folks she called said that Continental does not allow pets at all on their international flights. Boomer will have to fly cargo and so she would send him as soon as possible and we will pick him up. Sooo.....she is going to make more calls and hopefully have one of her Japanese friends do the calling for her as the information they gave her before did not always agree. I made the same calls from her several months ago and the one thing I learned is that the travel must be arranged and purchased in Japan. Shipping US to Japan - yes. Japan to here must be arranged in Japan. As far as cost - the quote they gave me was over $900. The quotes for US to Japan are much less. It does not make sense to me but that is what I found out.

*If* Boomer can come to the states - he will come to live with us Then, he can go back to living with Missy. Paul and Boomer when they return to the states next fall. He would not be returning to Japan with her. I hope we are not getting our hopes up again since we have been excited and then let down before.

Missy - please post or e-mail me when you know more OK???

I just called all over Japan and the cheapest price I can get is 75,000Yen, which at the current yen rate is about $689. I called the base terminal and they only accept pets from people who are PCS'ing (moving for good). There is a ton of stuff to get worked out for this to happen... but it just might work.
    Since the last thread the policies have changed and you can no longer bring a pet onboard an aircraft. They have to travel via a shippign service. The quote that I have is for a place called Yamaguchi who can get Boomer shipped directly to Dayton.