Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you have a career or children first?

Did you have a career or children first?

My husband and I would like to have kids, but I don't know when.

I'm working on my master's degree right now, and I won't be done for another 2 years or so...then hopefully I will find gainful employment. It's a hard decision to make, when to have children. I would love to be able to stay home for the first few years but I will also have student loans, etc, to pay off by then which would make it hard not to have a job!

What did you do? How did you decide?

I got married straight out of high school because I wanted a family first. I wouldn't change anything for the world but I wish I would have done things differently. I would love to go to school now but me being a single mom it is just too hard because I would never have time with Marissa.
    Michelle

For me, I got married straight out of college. But, I didn't have any student loans to pay off, so that makes quite a bit of difference, I think. We waited until we bought our house to start trying to have a family. Fate played a different set of cards though, and I ended up still working for 7 more years. Just this past summer we got pregnant, and are only now starting a family. So I had a career first, but that's the way it worked out, not the way we had originally planned.

For me at 16 I knew what i wanted to do and went down that path, to become a Nurse, however things just did not work out that way in the end, and i went from job to job mostly doing clerical work in the armed forces as a civilain, then i had my son at 24 which was a good age for me, however in hindsight now i wish i had a career to fall back on especially when my children were school age, so if i were you i would embark on that first and have the children a little later.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I got a college degree, and worked for only a year in my profession before my son was born. I wasn't planning on having a child then. But, often, what we plan in life and what we get are two different things!

I continued to work at that company full-time for another four and a half years after he was born, then I quit that job and bought my own business.

This is my personal opinion, based on my own experience. I would recommend you do/see/go/be what you want now, before you have children. Because once you do, EVERYthing changes. I'm not saying you can't have a career and kids; I did, millions of people do. But everything else is harder with kids.

I can think many things I wish I would have done while I was young and childless. Yes, I could still do them now, I suppose, technically ... but how you see the world changes dramatically in two decades. I wish I would have lived a little more for me first.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I got married right after grad from college. It was another 4 years before I had my daughter. By then I had a very good job, with career in mind, and figured I would return to work when it was time at 6 weeks old.. I didn't... I stayed home until she was a little over 2. Money may have been tight once in a while, but I never looked back on the time spent with her. I still contribute this time home with her to her being so advanced in school. By 2 years old she knew her letters and some environmental words ( like "pepsi", "coke" "milk", " McDonalds", "Exxon"- in other words the concept that letters made words. ) I went back to work part time when she was 2, but wasnt happy not being with her more. At 4 years old, I opened my own pet store. She stayed with me all day, after morning pre school with other children. Learned how to count money.. lol.. By the time she went to first grade at 5 she was already reading on a second grade level, and could count money, etc.. lol.. It actually was pretty funny. They had to move her 3 times the first year to get her placed, and I never ever thought that time off was a bad thing- or that I had missed something.( btw- she graduated from High School at age 16... And just graduated from college at 20 and a half..) And I am the PROUDEST MOMMA IN THE WORLD OF COURSE.. !! LOL

I went to work right out of high school as an Executive Secretary at a bank. I got married and continued to work there until we decided to start a family. I had ten years of working and was ready to settle down. I was a stay-at-home mom and had my daughter 2 1/2 years after my son. I never returned to the work force until they were 7 and 9 years of age and then only part-time in the evening when hubby could watch them.

The world changed and technology moved forward in those years that I remained at home and I am sure, had I continued to work through my children's childhoods, I would have been bringing home a much nicer paycheck than I do now. My hat goes off to those who juggle children and careers. I know how tired one can be at the end of a day's work and cannot imagine having to come home and help with homework, baths, story time and bedtime when I would be tired myself, not to mention rising up early to get them to day care, school, etc. before heading into work. It is stressful for sure and would not have worked for me. I would not change a thing though. I still work part-time and love it. I was here for all of my children's *firsts* and that meant the world to me. That all said, I did not go to college and did not have the financial obligations that you have with college loans. Had I been in your situation I would have put off children until later, however it is a very personal thing and has to be weighed based on our own individual needs as well as desires.

I met my husband after graduating from high school. We were married for five years, then lived together another 2 or 3 years.
    I have never wanted childred; that is one thing both my ex and I agreed on.

After my divorce, I lived by myself with one or two cats. Besides working, I did go to college for a while.

I had to retire at age 59; I'll be 62 in January.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Since I never wanted kids, career. If you work so hard to get your Masters but want to take time off the first year or so, I don't know when a good time would be. Do you want a kid more than your Masters degree? That is surely something to think about.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Career. I was married at 21 but put off having kids till I was 30. After having my second at 33, I knew why people have them at 20! Oy-yoi-yoi! The energy level! I don't regret waiting - I was far too immature to be a good mom earlier.

I am kind of between Twisterdog's post and Cyber Sibes' post.

I did college right after high school, entered a career for 7ish years, then, went back to law school at the ripe ol' age of 29. I graduated from law school at 31 or 32, and worked for 7ish years, having Jonah at the advanced age of 38 (two months before my 39th bday). I am now 41, with a two year old, and a full time career as a lawyer.

There are pros and cons, I suppose. For me, personally, getting all my education out of the way was significant. Very significant. However, establishing myself in a career with a known saying of "the law is a very jealous mistress", THEN having a child (and single, to boot), might not have been a wise choice- in retrospect.

Having said that, I am educationally 'secure', do okay financially that I don't depend on anyone else for financial assistance, have a home, a car, blah blah blah. AND, I am blessed tenfold as I have a loving grandmother that absolutely dotes on my son- Lillycat. Jonah spends his daytime hours with her, and five cats!

So, I would still encourage anyone to get themselves established first. Like Twisterdog said, the plans we have aren't always the plans we have happen to us. No one, no matter their race, colour, creed, religion, etc., 'knows' the future. To best prepare for the unimaginable only serves you best in the long run. No one can take away my education, which goes a long way to securing my financial future, and that of my son, which allows for many benefits. If I NEVER used my law degree, wonderful. I would always have my education to fall back on if something unforetold happened. I think very few people say, "oh, I SO regret going to college", or "I wish I had waited until after my child was born to finish school".

I lived, in my opinion, alot, pre-Jonah. I went away to college, lived on both coasts of the US, lived on my own, owned a house, travelled as I wanted to, etc. I had Jonah at the right time for ME- energy levels aside..he he he, as Cyber Sibes said.

I did college right after high school too. I got my teaching degree at age 22, then met my hubby. We got married one year later . We wanted to have kids right away, but it was not for us to decide: nature didn't let us....
    We adopted 2 kids, and because at that time we had to be 30 to adopt( it is age 25 now), we became parents rather late. Never regretted this!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I have no kids so take what I say with a grain of salt. My opinion on the whole thing is that you, me, everyone, will never feel ready. I'm not saying do it now, but my cousin said she wants kids when she has a career and has something like $20,000 in the bank just sitting there. I think that's crazy. I believe in preparing, but honestly I don't think I will ever feel fully ready. Partly it's something you just have to jump into with both feet.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    I got married right after grad from college. It was another 4 years before I had my daughter. By then I had a very good job, with career in mind, and figured I would return to work when it was time at 6 weeks old.. I didn't... I stayed home until she was a little over 2. Money may have been tight once in a while, but I never looked back on the time spent with her. I still contribute this time home with her to her being so advanced in school. By 2 years old she knew her letters and some environmental words ( like "pepsi", "coke" "milk", " McDonalds", "Exxon"- in other words the concept that letters made words. ) I went back to work part time when she was 2, but wasnt happy not being with her more. At 4 years old, I opened my own pet store. She stayed with me all day, after morning pre school with other children. Learned how to count money.. lol.. By the time she went to first grade at 5 she was already reading on a second grade level, and could count money, etc.. lol.. It actually was pretty funny. They had to move her 3 times the first year to get her placed, and I never ever thought that time off was a bad thing- or that I had missed something.( btw- she graduated from High School at age 16... And just graduated from college at 20 and a half..) And I am the PROUDEST MOMMA IN THE WORLD OF COURSE.. !! LOL
    I know! Isn't it amazing how babies progress? My niece will be two on the 25th and she's been forming sentences for a while now. She asks you, "What's the matter?", "Let's go to the store.", etc. She talks more than I do (I didn't even think that was possible)! Her best friend is her Mamaw and Papaws Husky/Shepherd pup, Bart. They run and play and it's awesome. She helps her Papaw feed the kitties and birds. It's so weird to think that just over a year ago she couldn't walk and now she runs, talks a lot, etc!

Career.

I have not yet had a chance to go to college (Even though I have been out of high school for two years now). However, that will come first.

We don't think we'll be having any skinkids, though.