Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bladder infection

Bladder infection

First, we did take Ritz to the vet before doing anything else. In fact, because she was in some pain, and tried to pee about 6 times with no results, I feared she was blocked so we took her to the emergency all night clinic in the next largest town.

They had another bigger emergency, and although they did look at Ritz, I'm concerned that they gave her a thorough enough exam. They didn't exray, only tried to express her bladder which was empty....perhaps exrays don't tell much in this condition. We've had her there before and they were very good, albeit 50 miles away.

I do plan on addressing this issue with her regular vet, but if any of you could lend some insight, I'd be thankful.

She was diagnosed with a bladder infection - they tried to express her bladder, but it was empty. Apparently it is infected and inflamed, and that is causing her to think she has to go to the bathroom when she really doesn't. They gave her two prescriptions, 1.5 ML of Clavamox (antibiotic) twice daily for 10 days and 1ml of Interferon, twice daily (the latter is on 7 days, off 7, and on again).

While she acts otherwise like she feels pretty good and isn't crying in pain after peeing anymore, she still sits in her litter for 10 minutes or so at a time and visits the litterbox regularly to do so. Normally, she pees about twice a day and poops about once or twice (morning, evening)

She's been on the medication now since last Thursday morning....but still visits the litterbox frequently and sits there for a long time, usually only one will result in a normal pee amount, the rest of the times just little drops. She also spends a good deal of time licking herself after, like it itches or something.

WE are keeping the litter clean and fresh water...

How long should the treatment take for her to be back to her old self? I know she isn't comfortable...but should I be worried about other causes? She had one of these earlier in her life, right before being spayed, and bounced back very quickly with the treatment...this time it seems to be taking a bit longer...

I will be contacting my regular vet for a refill of the Clavamox, per the instructions, but any experience with a kitty with bladder infections will be helpful.

right now she is spending so much time in the litterbox I feel like I should give her a newspaper to read
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

Oh Ritzy girl, we know what bladder infections are about! Poor you!

tuxluvr, As you probably know, Fister had bladder problems several times and I remember he also got the first pills you mentioned. As far as I remember, it only took a few days before you could tell that they worked.

I hope Ritzy will get better in a few days - and stay that way!! We'll be keeping fingers and paws crossed here!

Hugs and nosekisses from us all.

I found a link you should have a look at. This below is from that site.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...m&word=bladder

Cystitis and urolithiasis are common in both male and female PBP. Signs include frequent urination or straining to urinate. Urinalysis, urine culture, complete blood count, serum chemistry, radiography, and ultrasound are important diagnostic aids. A sterile urine sample for culture can be obtained via cystocentesis. Cystitis without triple phoshate crystalluria should respond to extended antibacterial therapy based on in vitro sensitivity testing. Acidification of the urine may also help minimize recurrence of infection. Nephritis can occur after cystitis as an ascending infection. Leptospirosis may be a primary cause of nephritis. Increased BUN and creatinine values may aid in the diagnosis of nephritis and kidney failure. Routine vaccination for six leptospira serovars is recommended because such multivalent bacterins include Leptospira bratislava and Leptospira pomona , the most common types infecting domestic commercial swine. Vaccination may possibly reduce renal shedding of leptospires should a PBP become chronically infected and, therefore, minimize transmission of this zoonotic disease.

In a PBP that is straining and unable to urinate, the bladder size should be reduced immediately by cystocentesis after sedation and radiography (plain or contrast) or ultrasonography to evaluate the location of the urethral or bladder stones. If the blockage is in the urethra, cystotomy is recommended (both sexes) to identify and remove calculi in all possible locations. Calculi in the male urethra may be removed by cutting through the sheath to expose the distal penis, catheterizing the urethra, and backflushing into the bladder. Calculi that cannot be removed by this method must be surgically removed by incising the urethra at the location of the blockage. Suturing of the urethra is followed by cystotomy and inspection for more calculi. The bladder is then closed, and a Foley catheter is inserted into the bladder and marsupialized to the abdominal wall to accommodate the flow of urine while the urethra heals. Several days later, the Foley catheter is occluded, and the urethra is inspected to determine if it is patent and allowing flow of urine; if not, the Foley catheter is opened again, and the process is repeated several days later. When the urethra becomes patent, the Foley catheter is removed, and the drainage site allowed to granulate closed. Although the female urethra is short, blockage can still occur. Because urethral catheterization is difficult, a Foley catheter is inserted into the vagina and inflated, and a purse-string suture is placed at the vulva. Retrograde flushing through the urethral opening in the vaginal floor is attempted. A cystotomy is then performed to remove all possible stones or calculi, followed by routine closure of the bladder. Marsupializing the bladder may not be necessary. Further treatment includes antibiotic therapy and acidification of the urine. Despite these efforts, some affected PBP do not recover and require euthanasia. Perineal urethrostomies are usually only temporarily successful because the surgical site becomes occluded by amorphous material or urethral polyps, and patency cannot be reestablished. However, surgical methods have been described to correct failed perineal urethrostomies in PBP. Rupture of the bladder is a grave complication because normal bladder tone may not return even after stones have been removed and the bladder has been surgically repaired.

Psychogenic water consumption should be considered in PBP with polydipsia and polyuria. PBP may develop a habit of drinking water and urinating frequently because of possible boredom or unknown causes. Cystitis and crystalluria should be eliminated as differential diagnoses. Measuring urine specific gravity before and after a 12-hr water fast will demonstrate if the affected PBP is able to concentrate urine. Ability to concentrate urine indicates normal kidney function and helps rule out diabetes insipidus. Estimating the daily water intake and urine output will further aid the diagnosis of psychogenic water intake or establish that water consumption and urination are in fact normal. Relieving boredom may be helpful to change this behavior. If water is restricted and offered only with meals, care must be taken to prevent salt toxicity.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Poor Ritzy,
    I must admit that it sounds like a bladder infection. It seems to be not so different between cats and humans. So the antibiotics should help! I wish you a speedy recovery.

Wow! Randi, thanks for the info. yes, I do recall that our dear Fister had all kinds of bladder problems. I've heard that males become blocked more frequently, but that females can be too...

also it's interesting the part about "boredom". The first time Ritz had one of these, the vet said they are often caused by stress - at the time she was going through her first heat, and the vet felt that was likely the cause. This was the time that the vet told us that black and white kitties, particularly Tuxedos, are a bit more highly strung and "tightly wound" than other kitties, and that she may be prone to them throughout her life.

That was 2 1/2 years ago and there has been no recurrence until a few nights ago. We play with her regularly, so I don't think it's boredom...but who knows what a cat thinks?

We remain on "litter patrol" for the time being she's eating well, drinking water and eliminating other waste without problems, so time will tell.....thanks again for the input.

Originally posted by Barbara
    Poor Ritzy,
    I must admit that it sounds like a bladder infection. It seems to be not so different between cats and humans. So the antibiotics should help! I wish you a speedy recovery.

I know what you mean - I've had one myself and can completely relate, perhaps that is why I'm so concerned, because I remember how miserable i was during my own.

Prayers are on the way for Ritzy to have a speedy recovery. I sure hope it's nothing more serious. It seems like there's been too much saddness here on Pet Talk recently.

KAK, I know what you mean,and so kind of you to say, given your recent loss - by comparison this is minor.

I am going to call the regular vet this morning - she is not as lively as usual (tries to play, but it just makes her have to go)

She is eating, drinking, eliminating solid waste...just peeing very lightly and sits on the litterbox constantly.....she's been on the antibiotics for 4 full days now, and I keep thinking it ought to be a bit better.

They didn't do any bloodwork or xrays during her emergency visit...I think with all the recent kitty losses on pettalk I'm a little paranoid, but I hate to see her uncomfortable.

poor Ritzy, you beautiful girl!
    I hope you are feeling better very soon!

Good morning,

You are right about the anti-biotics. If Ritzy has been on them for 4 days already you should have noticed a marked improvement in the problem. She may have a resistant form of the infection. BTW, a x-ray will not show a bladder infection but the blood work would indicate an infection (by an increased white blood cell count), but they can also grow a culture from a urine sample.

When I first got Emily we had many many problems with bladder infections. We started with the Clavamox, but later moved on to stronger antibiotics. The vet did run a culture on Emily and found out that it was resistent. So you might want to ask for a different antibiotic or if they will take a culture from Ritzy.

Yes, I know all about bladder infections. Speckles has been through about 5 of them.

Her last bout was Nov 2001 and she was put on Baytril, but it took about a week before I noticed any improvement and it was all of a sudden. One day she was straining, and the next day, boom, all gone.

When she got her first bouts of bladder infections it was right after I adopted her and with Max constantly after her, I believe it was stress-related. She, too, would sit in the litter box for long periods of time. After a while, she just laid down in there and I guess she figured, why leave, when I'll just have to come back again. After that I put her on filtered water only and that seemed to help. While I've heard that cranberry extract can help, I did not try it.

I agree with Emily_the_spoiled in that you should ask you vet for a culture and blood work. I did when Speckles first got sick and a culture was able to determine which antibiotic would work the best. Take note that antibiotics gave Speckles diarrhea so don't be alarmed if Emily's stool becomes soft with the meds.

Good luck. Love and prayers on the way for a speedy recovery.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Originally posted by slick
    Yes, I know all about bladder infections. Speckles has been through about 5 of them.

I agree with Emily_the_spoiled in that you should ask you vet for a culture and blood work. I did when Speckles first got sick and a culture was able to determine which antibiotic would work the best. Take note that antibiotics gave Speckles diarrhea so don't be alarmed if Emily's stool becomes soft with the meds.

Good luck. Love and prayers on the way for a speedy recovery.
    Emily, Slick - thanks for your informative experience. The vet did say that any antibiotics can affect the digestion a bit and I've noticed that, while her stool is still relatively firm, it is a lot softer than usual, so I appreciate that insight - I assumed from what the vet said that it was due to this new addition to her diet. Her appetite has been otherwise normal and she isn't hesitant to drink water. I smiled when i read your post because Ritz looks like she is about to fall asleep in the litter box - each"sitting" is 5 minutes or longer.

Ritzy does not get ANYTHING from us but Iams dry cat food and water - we don't feed treats or scraps, so I'm confident that her diet isn't the cause, unless the current cat food is the culprit.

I've heard that this is most commonly caused by stress, and am trying to figure out what has stressed her out. We don't have other pets. About the only thing i can think of is a pack of stray dogs were dumped near our house and they come nosing around the back window, which makes Ritz angry. She is not let outdoors at all.

Her regular vet wants to see her this afternoon, so we should hopefully know more.

Thanks again - all this information is VERY helpful!
    Ritzy's mommy

I'm glad you're checking back with the vet today. A few weeks ago when Tubby had his bladder infection, I realized there was a problem because he, too, was just sitting in the litter box - which he had never done before. I took him to the vet first thing in the morning, and gave him his first antibiotic pill when we got back home - about 9:30 am or so. By the time I got home that evening I could already tell he was getting better. He was not licking himself anymore (like Ritzy is licking) and he was slepping well instead of wandering back and forth between the litter boxes and trying to pee. By the time I got home the second day, he was pretty much back to normal. He was still peeing less and more frequently, but he was acting completely normal - down to the dinnertime begging routine.

So now that it's day 5 for Ritzy, I would definitely be worried that she hasn't shown more sign of improvement. I don't remember the name of the antibiotic Tubby was on, but I can call and ask them if you would like.

I've heard that cats lick when they are in pain, which would explain why she's licking herself more, but as much as I hate to say it, it's possible this is more than just a bladder infection if it hasn't started clearing up by now. Maybe she just needs a different kind of antibiotic.

I'm absolutely, positively praying and sending positive thoughts for dear Ritzy. She - and we all here at PT - really need her to get well!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

thanks - as you know the vet visits are no picnic with this one, but this is really important. I timed her this morning, she sat on the litter box for 5 MINUTES - it did produce a little more pee than recently, but poor kitty...to have to sit and sit and sit..

She is SUCH a good girl taking her medicine though! I can't get over the fact that she is so difficult at the vets and we can do just about ANYTHING and she doesn't complain. She takes her medicine, doesn't squirm or anything...she lets us examine her hiney and clean it if need be (just with a clean tissue lint free tissue)....she is so trusting of us and won't let the vets get near her.

I just hope the vet sedates her so they can get a decent exam - so often they seem anxious to get her out of thei roffice because she is so crabby.

Originally posted by tuxluvr
    ... This was the time that the vet told us that black and white kitties, particularly Tuxedos, are a bit more highly strung and "tightly wound" than other kitties, and that she may be prone to them throughout her life...
    LOL My vet said this too, about tuxedo kitties. That explains Scooter's odd behavior!

Poor Ritz. What a pain in the butt (pardon the pun) for her to go through that! I too, have had a lot of experience dealing with Scooter and UTI.

Was Ritz checked out for 'crystals'?? I know it's more common for this to be a problem in male cats, but I'm assuming that female cats can have this sort of thing happen too. We have fed our cats Iams in the past, but ended up switching over to Nutro and Science Diet. Have you tried either of these? Sometimes the ash in cat food can cause problems, but I thought Iams was pretty good about it. Maybe compare Iams, Nutro and/or Science Diet for ash content and go with whichever one is lowest. It's worth a shot if this persists.

Scooter was given some sort of pink creamy lookin anti-biotic for one of his infections, and it seemed to work. I can't remember the name of it. When the pain was really bad, we were actually given a shot to administer for the pain! Poor Scooter, but it really seemed to work.
    Just like Ritz, Scooter is a difficult patient at the vet, so hopefully the stress of going doesn't make things worse. Poor thing! I also wonder if the presence of the dogs is what triggered this thing.

Poor girl! I sure hope she feels better soon! Do let us know what the vet says and how she's doing! She's one of my favorites!
    **hugs**
    Karen

You know, Karen, I was thinking of looking into other cat food. Iams is pretty good and I think they have a version that is "urinary health" happy-she's currently on the regular type of Iams....could be that as she ages, her system may be different. But it's a good point.

The vet at the emergency clinic wanted to do a urinalysis to look for crystals, but since her bladder was empty, they couldn't get anything out..so who knows if she had crystals or not? They manages to squeeze her and make her more ouchee....That kind of bugged me, but they had another serious surgery emergency and it was late at night (so hard to know if you are getting a good diagnosis in these conditions).

I was relieved that she wasn't blocked (which I know is more common on male cats), but don't think we really got to the bottom ($215 later...I kind of expected to at LEAST get a blood test for this amount)

Will keep all of you posted, will be getting out the porta-prison soon...wish us all luck!