Thread: Prison in crisis

Prison in crisis

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5379912

There is a developing situation at Louisiana's largest maximum security prison. The warden of Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola says he's on the verge of turning away prisoners. The reason? WAFB's Jim Shannon has exclusive details on Angola's ever-worsening employee situation.

Warden Burl Cain says when the collapse of Angola state penitentiary happens, you can't say he did not warn us: "I'm serving notice! We've got to do something!"

Warden Cain says the state's largest maximum security prison is in nothing short of a crisis. The problem is recruiting retaining and finding qualified correctional officers. In short, he cannot find people to watch the inmates.

"After the hurricane we just can't hire people," explains Cain. "It's caught up with us. Before it goes any further, we need help. We're desperate."

Cain says the entire department of corrections is facing the same problems. It all stems from low pay and high health insurance premiums.

A typical dormitory has 64 beds at Angola. The dorm that Warden Cain showed WAFB 9 News boasts a female correctional officer -- even though 25% of the inmates are aggravated sex offenders. The other 75% are convicted murderers.

The officer only makes $8.85 an hour.

"Yes it's a crisis," Cain says. "It's a crisis when I lose more every week than I hire and when I work people 18 days in a row to try to cover the drops in this prison. [When I hire someone] I've got to be sure that they can even count so they can count the people in their beds accurately. That's a problem."

Other factors contribute to the employee problems? The geographical proximity of the facility, for one. It's 20 miles from any type of road. There is a ferry that crosses the Mississippi, but due to the low river it's been grounded since July so employees have to take a crew boat which takes up more time.

"Its a lot harder to get here and home," says Sgt. Nelson Laborde. "You go home later if you can't find a quick ride to the boat. It's harder all around.>

Cain is looking for help from the legislature and/or governor. He's proposing a $500 a month "premium" pay stipend. He says that, coupled with at least $11 an hour, will allow the Department of Corrections to be competitive.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

How terribly sad!