Thread: Arthritis meds/supplements?

Arthritis meds/supplements?

Blackie's arthritis has gotten worse as he's gotten older. He is very stiff when getting up, doesn't like to sit, and will lay down whenever he can. He can't handle going on any even remotely "long" walks anymore (even a 1/4 mild is pushing it for him).

We think it is time to start him on a joint supplement/arthritis pain med. After our interesting vet visit a couple of days ago, the vet gave us some Rimadyl for him. He is doing SO much better now that he has been on it. You can just tell he is feeling so much more spry. But not only is the Rimadyl unGodly expensive ($3 a day!), but I've heard that its long term side effects can be quite nasty (such as liver failure in Labradors). So this isn't something we want to keep him on forever.

Does anyone know of a supplement/med that would help alliviate some of his stiffness and doesn't have any horrible adverse side effects?

Also, Blackie and Rose are both "outside" dogs. They have nice cooshy warm straw/cedar filled doghouses in the winter and I've taken temps in them and it stays around 70 when both dogs are in it (and when it gets REALLY cold they come inside). Will this winter aggravate Blackie's arthritis even more? I know "our" old Alasken Malamute had horrible arthritis and hip problems. When the weather cooled down I always remember her having trouble walking, but that also could have been because of the snow.

If it were up to me the dogs would be inside/outside dogs like Chloe is...but apparently where having Chloe inside is okay, the powers that be don't want Blackie and Rose inside. If I want them to come inside I need to plead my (and their) case and if Blackie needs a squishy warm bed to help his arthritis, that would be fine with me.
    ~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~

I think a PTr mentioned Gabapentin...supposed to be easier on the system. There is also Metacam. PM Glacier - she'll know!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Gabapentin only works for nerve based pain, not athritic changes. I use Metacam for my athritic dogs. It's a non-steriodal anti-inflammtory. It can affect the liver and a few other things. I've never had a dog who had a negative reaction to it. I have several who are on it every day, one who's taken it every day for four years with no problems.

Supplements like glucosomine might help, but they take awhile to build up and become effective, if they work. I've never seen any big changes in my dogs from supplements, but lots of people swear at them.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

We took Blackie to the vet because of an odd lump on his ankle. Turns out his arthritis is osteoarthritis. Don't know if that makes any difference or not about the meds.

I think our cat was on Metacam for a while....I'll look into it. Thanks!

I've also heard feeding a grain free food might help?
    ~My Clan: Blackie, Rose, Chloe (dogs), Casey, Dameon (ferts), Pheobe (kitty), Dot, Louie (Cavies), Joey (Teil), Pikachu (Dwarf Hammie), Sadie (Guide Dog), R.I.P. Rush (15yrs), R.I.P. Lucy (4yrs)~

My dog was recently put on Deramaxx for her arthritis. She is 35 pounds and takes a quarter of a pill daily. It costs $23.50 for 10 pills which works out to 40 days worth of medicine.
    Last edited by Moesha; 09-20-2008 at 04:07 PM.

Scruffy is 15 and has arthritis too. His vet prescribed Novox. I've been giving him one pill in the morning and one at night. He doesn't seem to be as stiff in the morning.

Novox is another form of Rimadyl, generic name of Carprofen and is used for pain. The recommended dosage is 2mg per pound per day. The pills I have are 25mg, 60 for $29.50.

It has the same warnings as Rimadyl, but at Scruffy's age, I'd rather have him comfortable for what time he has than worry about long term effects. The warnings recommend Glucosamine and MSM instead, but both of my dogs have been getting Glucosamine in their food for years, so something stronger is really needed.

The vet also prescribed a pain pill for really bad days, but I've been holding off on those.