Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nail cutting....

Nail cutting....

Does anybody's dogs enjoy getting their nails cut?? I know mine tolerate it really well, but I wouldn't say they enjoy it, LOL

I am such a stickler for nail cutting, I hate to see dogs with long long nails. I guess that comes from being a groomer and having to cut nails out of dog's pads before, or having to cut them because their toes are so splayed out they can hardly stand. :-( Poor doggies.

I cut my dogs' nails about every once a week to once every two weeks. I cut my cats' nails about once a month.

I use nail clippers that look something like this:

I find they work the best.

I also occasionally get my dog's nails ground with a dremmel. a friend of mine does it for $5.

If you go somewhere to get your dog's nails cut, where do you go and how often? At work we have a bunch of regulars that just come and get their nails cut about once a month.

So come on, tell me about your nail cutting woes, LOL

I do Star and Wilbur's nails about once a month. They stay an OK length, but I really need to keep up on it more, I don't like when they start making clicking noises when they run around in the non-carpeted areas of the house.

I do their nails MYSELF. Once, I had Star's nails done by a local rescue that was just asking for donations in exchange for a nail trimming. NEVRER AGAIN. Star didn't like it, and she's never been great around strangers. The lady wound up taking Star and SLAMMING her don onto the table. Star was howling the entire time. Even after that, they only did three paws. I left in tears, and told Star I woul dnever put her through anything like that again.

She may not like me doing her nails very much, but at least I'm gentle with her, and she trusts me!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I cut their nails at least every week. Sometimes I check twice a week to see if I missed something last time. I'm really obsessed with keeping their nails short but I guess that's a good thing..?

Kai's very tolerant and just sits while I cut them. Kaedyn on the other hand is a bit squirmish still but he's gotten alot better since we've had him. I still need to bribe him with treats though.

At our obedience classes, there was a min pin who had the longest nails I'd ever seen! I wanted to say something to the owner but it slipped my mind at the end of the class. Oh boy, it was starting to curl under..it was horrible.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I hardley ever cut Drake's nails. We run everyday and walk several times a day that the road and side walk do all the work for me. I do check his nails every week and smoothen out an rough parts, cracked, or splintered parts with out Dremel tool.

I don't like long nails for dogs either!

I wouldn't really say mine love it, but they tolerate it.

Abbey is the only one who is really great about it. She will sit still, and when I ask for her paw, she gives it. She is so good when I do it. Jada will tolerate it, Kito tolerates it but acts like a drama queen (this is when we usually hear a good Shiba scream or two!!), and Riley is afraid. I keep all of the "evil stuff" in one cabinet--nail clippers, ear cleaner, Revolution, brushes--and when I open that door, Riley is gone, jumping over the gate and laying by the front door-it's so funny!!!

I don't have a set schedule for mine, as soon as I hear them start clicking on the floor, it's time.

I hate doing Jada's and Riley's though--they're all black--it makes me nervous!!!

Our vet does it if they are there, but she charges $14 for it during a check up, so I try to get them done before they go there.

I use those exact clippers you have pictured.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Re: Nail cutting....

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    I am such a stickler for nail cutting, I hate to see dogs with long long nails. I guess that comes from being a groomer and having to cut nails out of dog's pads before, or having to cut them because their toes are so splayed out they can hardly stand. :-( Poor doggies.
    As a former groomer I can say I've seen some really bad ones, too. I've seen some nails pulled out or broken off badly, too. In fact it's happened to Chester because he HATES to have his nails cut and he bites sometimes if you try. We had them cut really short while he was under for surgery and we'll take him back to the vet weekly from now on. Before, he went every two weeks.

We use the same tool as you do on Millie and Chester, and we also have a dremmel for Millie. She tolerates it, bit Chester won't. Aneko goes to the groomer once every 3 weeks, so hers are done there.

They all 3 have several black nails and I hate those!

I clip my pups as often as I can!! I can't stand to hear that "CLICK CLICK CLICK" when they walk on the tile floor!!

So I keep their nails short, I also clip my in laws dog Rasquel's nails, and I also do my brother-in-law's GSD Sage. I used to do my parents GSD Mix, but I cut her quick once, and she doens't let me get near her feet now!! (Sorry Toby)

I guess you could say I'm the families dogs manicurist!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

The majority of the time I cut Ruby's nails myself. She HATES it It usually takes me awhile since she can be so squirmy, but other than that I never have had any problems. I usually give her front paws a trim about once a month. Her back paws seem to either file themselves down or just don't grow as quickly, so I clip them every couple months.

Sometimes I get her vet to do it (because she acts like a perfect angel for her). And If I see a nail clipping booth at a dog event I'll have them done there (I really don't like doing it so I seize any opportunity I get to have someone else take care of it ).

Thanks for the signature & avatar kfamr

I don't know how often I really clip them.. I just clip them when they seem to be getting long. Tasha nibbles her own nails a lot so often I only have to clip one or two. She has black nails too so it's hard to tell, I just try to take off the ends. I do know the less you clip them the longer the quick will grow up into the nail so it's best to keep them trimmed.

I use clippers like the one Shelteez pictured. The other kind, I think are called guillotine, that was the first clipper I had and used with the collies, but I find I like the side clippers better.

Tommy really hates it and can be squirmy, but Tasha is like Abbey, she sits and gives me her paw and waits and then gives me the other paw when I ask for it. She's a little less certain on the back legs but she's still very good.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Originally posted by lovemyshiba
    I keep all of the "evil stuff" in one cabinet--nail clippers, ear cleaner, Revolution, brushes--and when I open that door, Riley is gone, jumping over the gate and laying by the front door-it's so funny!!!
    LOL! LOL! I have the "evil stuff" all in the same box and when I get that box Bella runs over to the recliner and curls up in a ball and turns her head away and won't look at me. I think she thinks if she doesn't look at me then she is invisible and I can't see her either!

Mine each get their nails cut every 3 weeks. The groomer does Bella every six weeks and I do her once in between, and so I do Ripley on the same days.

Bella isn't crazy about the whole thing but she cooperates and her nails are light so it's easy to see the quick. Ripley, on the other hand, has black nails and he was good until one day when I took a little too much off one nail and made him bleed. He is just starting to re-trust me. His nails were sooo long when we first got him that I have only ever taken just the tips off because I know the quick does grow down. Unfortunately I misjudged once and it took him a long time to forget it.

I do it every three weeks or so. I'd rather take little bits off regularly because all the nails are black and I'm paranoid about blood! They don't really enjoy nail clipping so I wait for that five minutes that they sleep during the day
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Originally posted by WolfChan
    II do their nails MYSELF. Once, I had Star's nails done by a local rescue that was just asking for donations in exchange for a nail trimming. NEVRER AGAIN. Star didn't like it, and she's never been great around strangers. The lady wound up taking Star and SLAMMING her don onto the table. Star was howling the entire time. Even after that, they only did three paws. I left in tears, and told Star I woul dnever put her through anything like that again.

She may not like me doing her nails very much, but at least I'm gentle with her, and she trusts me!
    Aww I'm so sorry you went through that. That's awful poor Star. I'm glad she trusts you enough to do it yourself.

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    I cut their nails at least every week. Sometimes I check twice a week to see if I missed something last time. I'm really obsessed with keeping their nails short but I guess that's a good thing..?
    In my opinion that is a very good thing. Good for you!

Originally posted by lovemyshiba
    Kito tolerates it but acts like a drama queen (this is when we usually hear a good Shiba scream or two!!),....
    .....Our vet does it if they are there, but she charges $14 for it during a check up, so I try to get them done before they go there.
    Boy oh boy do I know that scream!! We have a couple shiba's come in for grooming or to just get their nails cut, and there is only one that we can do by ourselves with no muzzle. Our next best shiba takes 2 people and a muzzle, and as for the others...anywhere from 3 to 5 people (no kidding) and the screaming!!! LOL You'd think we were amputating a foot.

I find that the vets around here charge way more than we do at the shop. We charge $5 for people to drop by and get their dog's nails cut. Since you can do it your self then you don't have to worry about it, but if you know of anyone else in your area that needs to take thier dogs somewhere, you should tell them to phone a few groomers.

Originally posted by K9soul
    Tasha nibbles her own nails a lot so often I only have to clip one or two. She has black nails too so it's hard to tell, I just try to take off the ends. I do know the less you clip them the longer the quick will grow up into the nail so it's best to keep them trimmed.

I use clippers like the one Shelteez pictured. The other kind, I think are called guillotine, that was the first clipper I had and used with the collies, but I find I like the side clippers better.
    One of my cousin's labs chews her nails too. I rarely have to touch them.

What I don't like about those guillotine style clippers is that they tend to get dull really fast and then they tend to shatter the nail instead of cutting it.

I don't cut Gigi's nail. I don't know how, so I just take her to the groomer to do it.
    Jen & Gigi

Thanks Kay for the set.

I cannot get Nicki's nails cut to save my life. She DESPERATELY needs them done. In the warm months when we walk a lot its not so bad because they kind of file themselves down on the concrete. Right now, they are long long. I feel bad for her. I went to the vets and even three hmans holding her downwe only got ONE NAIL trimmed. We couldn't do it!

When she was a puppy, every groomer - and I mean every - tried to trim her nails and ended up hitting the vein and of course it bled profusely. She has never let anybody near her paws since. She will let anybody do anything to her, but bring clippers near her feet and she turns into Kujo.

Originally posted by catnapper
    I cannot get Nicki's nails cut to save my life. She DESPERATELY needs them done. In the warm months when we walk a lot its not so bad because they kind of file themselves down on the concrete. Right now, they are long long. I feel bad for her. I went to the vets and even three hmans holding her downwe only got ONE NAIL trimmed. We couldn't do it!

When she was a puppy, every groomer - and I mean every - tried to trim her nails and ended up hitting the vein and of course it bled profusely. She has never let anybody near her paws since. She will let anybody do anything to her, but bring clippers near her feet and she turns into Kujo.
    Take her to your vet or a groomer and ask them to dremmel them. It's much easier on the nails an usually on the dog. It's a lot less traumatic if the quick gets filed a bit than if it gets sliced.