Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing a pet is very painful

Losing a pet is very painful

Yesterday morning i had my 15 yr old cat bootsy put to sleep due to kidney failure.He is the 3rd cat of mine over the yrs that i have had put to sleep.Hes the longest pet i have ever had.I got him in early sept.1993.This is very tough to deal with.I keep thinking about what he looked the last day here.I cant get it out of my head.Bootsy was once a healthy/fit 14 lb cat.I have lost a member of my family that i love dearly & miss so damn much.This really hurts.My idiot neighbor once said to me"oh,hes just a cat".Needless to say we are no longer friends.I DONT like people that dont like cats...period.I currently have 5 cats & one cat is taking it hard.She keeps looking for him & meowing.Ill miss bootsy sitting by the bathroom sink & waiting for me to turn it on.He sure was a loving,playful guy.This is a VERY painful experience.At least bootsy is at peace now & not in pain.RIP BOOTSY..1993-2008

So sorry & sadened for your loss.. RIP Bootsy.. May the RB Angels be taking you to the Golden Gates of RB so you can be with the other Beloved PT Angels.. Play hard wittle one..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Rest in peace, Bootsy.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Yes - it is painful - and no matter how many time we go thru it, it never gets any easier. Just remember all the good times you had together over the years, and know that Bootsy is now free from all his ailments and running happily at RB with all his new found friends, and waiting for the day when he will be with you again.

RIP dear Bootsy - you will be missed by your family here on earth.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I Have Always Said That Losing A Pet May Be As Traumatic As Losing A Family Member As You Actually Have The Power O Asking For Your Pet To Be Pts, Which Leads To Guilt.
    I Have Second Guessed Myself More Than A Few Times On Those Occaisons, But I Have Never Wanted My Friends To Be In Pain.
    Bootsy Is A Now An Animal Angels, And I Know The He Loves You, And Thanks You For Being Such A Good Friends For The Past 15 Years.
    Hes With The Animal Angels Now In British Columbia Now, Looking For Such The Right Place Where You Can Be Reunited In Love Again.
    One Fine Day .
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Boosty was the head of the cat posse in my home & i can clearly notice 2 of my 5 cats are upset.They lost a buddy as well.It just sucks that cats age so much more quickly then people.I thought i could handle this ok but i cant.When someones been with you for so many yrs (almost almost 15.5 yrs ) day & nite its really tough.We had a bond & i feel i let him down.Had i taken him to the vet when i first noticed his thinness & alot of water drinking he may be alive today.He was just so lifeless,crying & he didnt respond to me.I was not about to let him continue to suffer.His breathing was very slow.I feel so damn guilty."What if" is all i think about as well.I miss him so badly!

Please do not beat yourself up!!! You did all you could for Bootsy, and he knows that. Sleep softly, sweet Bootsy....
    Nine is Fine!!

Bootsy lived with you too, ya know? He KNOWS how much you loved him, how you never did anything to harm him, looked out for him, fed him (and the posse), got them treats, etc. And he thanks you for making the self less decision in the end.

Bootsy is young, healthy and happy again, racing about at Rainbow Bridge.

Yes, it hurts; hurts like heck. But time will help you to remember all the fun times.

Hi James-

I have been grieving over the loss of my cat last week, did a search for a cat forum and landed here. When I saw your post I was in total shock-MY cat's name was Bootsy too!

My Boots was 16 yrs old female, 3 hrs short of being 17 on Halloween. She LOVED to drink out of the sink too and would wait for me EVERY night when I came in the door, crying and begging for me to turn on the water!!! I finally broke down and bought one of those kewl 'cat fountains' and she still insisted on the sink

I came home from work and she wasn't waiting at the sink. Found her under the couch, making a funny sound. She couldn't walk or breathe completely, she was in great distress. I didn't think twice about taking her "home", came back to my house and cried the entire night for my Bootsy.

I keep going through my mind all the things I COULD have done, why didn't I try to get her weight back up, I knew she was needing more water than the other cats, why didn't I do this, do that?

All I know is she was loved, just like your cat, and both of our Bootsy's are probably sharing a treat together and talking about what a great life they had with us!!!

My best to you in your loss

Whenever we have to make that painful decision, our mind betrays us and fills our head with "what if" and "if only" and "I should have", etc. When those thoughts arise, ask yourself "Would I ever have purposely hurt Bootsy?" No, of course you wouldn't have and Bootsy knows that, too. He has even more love for you now that you valued him enough to do the final act of kindness for him. Your posse will miss him, too, but their sadness will disappear as you continue to shower them w/love and affection. The heartache will dissipate over time and when you think of Bootsy, you will be able to recall happier days and those memories will be a comfort to you. Take heart, you still have the rest of your furkids, and yourself as well, to take care of. RIP sweet Bootsy and peace to you, James.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    When those thoughts arise, ask yourself "Would I ever have purposely hurt Bootsy?" No, of course you wouldn't have and Bootsy knows that, too.
    James, I hope you took Mary's words to heart, because she is absolutely right. It's obvious from what you've said here that Bootsy knew nothing but love throughout his life -- which is so much more than so many animals (and people!) are able to have. You did not "let him down." You loved him, and took good care of him.

It is a sad but unavoidable fact of life that we all grow old and die -- and it really sucks for those of us who are left behind that our pets' lives are so much shorter than our own. It hurts when they have to go, and it keeps hurting for quite some time -- but that pain is the price we pay for the special times and love that we shared with these animals, and I think we'd all agree that it's worth it.

Meanwhile, we're sending love and prayers to you and your posse, and thinking of sweet Bootsy as he plays at the Rainbow Bridge.

All the best,
    Diana
    There aren't too many bad spots that can't be made at least a little better by either a nap, a cat, or both.

One other thing I've found, which is really spooky but COMFORTING in a way.... don't be at all surprised if one of your current pride suddenly takes up some of Bootsy's 'duties' for you, like waiting at the sink--
    Well loved pets are never truly gone, they're always with us, and the pain is Godawful but you HAVE to know you did the best you could for Bootsy and HE KNOWS it.... he's waiting for you, as my departed are all waiting for me......

James, I am so sorry for your huge loss. You have lost a much loved family member. I know how deep your grief is but it will ease. Just know you did a loving, unselfish act for Bootsy. She will always be with you. Be sure and give extra love to her posse.

Again, I am so very sorry for your loss.

Mary

I'm so sorry.

James,
    I know the pain you're feeling and wish I had magic words for you.
    You have lost a dear family member and there will be a hole in your heart, as well as some of your other fur babies hearts, for a while. It will heal; give it time. Take joy from the antics and love from the others; they give freely.
    Please also know that putting an ill pet at peace is a humane and loving act. I think most of the people on this site have had to face it. My girl Jamara, who was 18, we had to send to Rainbow Bridge six years ago. She was very ill, had reached the stage where we couldn't even hand feed her any more, and she was still a trouper. We love her and miss her every day, but take joy in my baby girl Pinot; it wouldn't be fair to her if I didn't.
    All of our hearts and prayers are with you in this time. Remember; you and Bootsy will be reunited and he'll be very happy to see you!

I am sorry to read about the passing of Bootsy. I know the pain you are feeling right now, as do a lot of Pet Talkers who loved their cats more than life. I lost my Jack in March this year, and the pain still lives with me, but now I look back and think about how funny and wonderful he was. I do still think of his last days, and it upsets me, and you will feel these things for a long time. But in time you will celebrate in your mind what a wonderful life and time you had with Bootsy.

RIP Bootsy...

Kate