Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prayers please for my most recent rescue, plus an update on the baby mice I hand fed

Prayers please for my most recent rescue, plus an update on the baby mice I hand fed

I just took in another rescued girl, a BEW drawf hamster and she is just gorgeous! I am currently hand feeding her baby. She came into the store pregnant and gave birth as soon as she was set in the cage. She had 14 babies, 12 were stillborn and two were live. She was taking great care of them (and no I didn't handle them. She was stressed enough as it is- except when moving them into a new cage to take home) and then just a few days ago when I went to check on them I noticed the one baby was missing. The cage smelled of dead animal so I assumed it had died and she just ate it, as I looked all through the bedding and could not find it. I should have checked on them sooner to make sure they were OK, but I didn't want to stress her too much. The day I brought her home the one baby was noticably smaller, but I still held out hope it would make it. Though I knew it probably wouldn't, it is still very hard when you lose a baby. I noticed the other baby was being neglected, as in she wasn't nursing it and it was covered in the bedding on the other side of the cage, so I removed her and I am now hand feeding her.

I assume there was either a problem with the babies as most were stillborn, or it was just overkill stress on the mom and she couldn't handle it. I feel horrible for her, being tossed around like she was, and pregnant at the time. Very sad. She has a good life now though and I am looking for a home for her. She isn't very tame but we are working on getting her handleable.

But I really need prayers for my little baby girl. I have named her Miracle, since she is the only one to survive her litter. I have been hand feeding her now for about three days, since she was four days old. It is VERY hard caring for a baby rodent, especially one so tiny. Now that I have successfully raised two baby one week mice which I also hand fed, I feel a little better that I may actually have a chance of pulling this little girl through. She is currently being hand fed every two hours with a syringe. She is on human soy formula, as it is more fattening than puppy milk or kitten milk replacer, and I have seen a much more dramatic weight gain and overall good health when I use soy human formula over the other choices. The first day was the hardest, as the baby is not used to the taste of the new milk, but after a couple of days they get used to it and turn into little pigs. I have to also stimulate her to go to the bathroom as well, but she does manage to go poopy on her own sometimes.

My main thing is keeping her belly full and her body warm. Luckily, hamsters can regulate their body temp a lot better than other rodents, such as mice and rats. It's very hard feeding her, as she is so wiggly. So please if anyone could spare a prayer for my little Miracle I would really appreciate it. This is hard work, and there are no quarantees.
    Last edited by luckies4me; 07-16-2004 at 01:08 PM.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

OK, now for the baby mice. Remember the little cuties I hand fed? If you don't, maybe this picture will jogg your memory.

Well unfortunately we had lost the runt, but the two others survived and they are doing really well and have been for some time. They are now going on two months old and are eating, drinking, playing, pooping, peeing and everything on their own now LOL! Unfortunately I sexed them wrong and instead of two males, I have one boy and one girl, so I am hoping that the female is not pregnant, but I don't think she is. They are now seperated but I do take them out to visit eachother. They are VERY sweet, and act just like my rats. They know for sure who mommy is and get very excited to see me each time I walk by. They jump up on teh cage and beg to come out. They give kisses and are just the sweetest little mice. I am very attached to these little ones and do not believe I will have the heart to rehome them just yet. I do have some photos of them and of the baby hamster and her mother. I will upload them now so you all can see just how well these two little mice are doing. Thanks to everyone who responded to their thread when I first got them too. I don't think I could have done it without the loving people here at Pet Talk.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Prayers on the way for your little Miricle baby. I am so glad you are dedicated to rescue these little guys. So many people just let them die and throw them away . Working at a pet store I saw a lot of that and it always makes me sad. You are such a great rodent mommy!!!

Thank you very much. I need all the encouragement I can get!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Here is a picture of the mom. Isn't she beautiful? I will get the other pics up in just a bit.

Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

OK, here are photos of Miracle, the baby dwarf hammy. I do not know what color she will be yet, but she seems to be a very light silverish color. She is a beautiful little girl. We just need to get some weight on her. I am about ready to feed her again right now. I need to always make sure I see a nice full tummy of milk!

Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

OK, here are the updated baby mice pics. I hope you like them!

Dylan giving them a kiss

Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Prayers are on the way for Miracle. Her mom is gorgeous and the mice are cute too
    Last edited by My Peanuts; 07-16-2004 at 02:47 PM.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Thanks!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Adorable!!! Oh some days I wish I had anything but terriers!

*sigh*

Prayers for your little Miracle!

The mice are so cute. I can not beleive I'm saying mice are cute. lol. The hamster is so tiny. I heard when they are born they can fit on a quartor. Is that true?

-Chrissy

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3

Yep Chrissy, they are pretty tiny. Thanks everyone for the prayers!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Well I am up feeding and taking care of the hammy and it is 1:32 in the morning, so I thought I would update LOL. She is doing really well. She has taken to the soy milk really well now and now sucks it out of the syringe. It is SOOO cute as when she is drinking the milk she pushes her little paws up and down, like they would do on the mom to push more milk out. It is the cutest thing. I have got to get a video of her doing that. I will do so tomorrow before I go to to work and then hopefully I can figure out how to post it.

Tomorrow I pretty much have to work all day so I am taking her to work with me so I can feed her on my breaks and also on my lunch, and then I can make sure I keep her warm and get her to potty too. So just thought I would update to say she is doing really good. She has a ton of energy, so I am taking that as a good sign.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

awwww

well...i HATE rats!!!! but the mice were fine in the tiny picture..thats it! i just don't like them..i'm sorry...its their tails and teeth!

but i LOVE the hamster!!!!!!!!!i could prolly make a lil sweater for her...lol...i said a prayer for her! and i know she'll be fine! keep up with hammie pictures!!!!!!

sweater..lol...hehe...hahahaha....
    i prolly could though...hehe...

good luck!
    alex + teencie + latte

I don't know anyone who would beup at 1:30 in the morning to take care of a hamster! Your doing a great thing!

-Chrissy

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3