Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bernese Mountain Dog

Bernese Mountain Dog

We've had our new Bernese Mountain dog, Murphy for one week now. He's almost 10 weeks old and he's my first experience with a big dog. I have the feeling we've got a good one! He seems very intelligent but if he grows into those paws he'll be HUGE! Anyone out there have any experience with this breed? I've wanted one for years after reading about them in a dog book about 8 years ago and I'm so excited to finally have this special guy. We got him to replace our 6 pound Maltese who died in January at the age of 15. Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Kris

This is a link to one of the best dog breed description sites I have found. I think you will find lots of info here on your new puppy!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bernesemountain.htm

I work for a doctor and a couple of our patients have brought their new puppies in to meet us. About a year ago I met my first Bernese Mountain Dog. He was about the age of your puppy and was such a snugglebug in my arms. I did notice, though, that he was HEAVY to hold for too long!!! I haven't seen him recently but I am sure he is a big fellow just like yours will be. I don't think there are a lot of Bernese breeders around. I think these people had to go on a 4 hr. car trip to get him.

Anyway, lots of luck with your puppy. I am sure you will notice a great many differences between your Maltese and your Bernese. Mainly, about 100 lbs. worth of difference ! Keep us posted and we'd love to see pictures.

Berners are my favorite breed (after Rottweilers). They are the prettiest dogs, but they are also great workers and are great companions. The only thing I would be concerned with when owning one would be that they require a little more grooming, but even that is minor.

Welcome Cageyy5! Oh, I'd love to see that cutiepie of yours, can you post some pics? I think they are such adorable dogs, and I'm with you Sara, they are one of my favorite breeds too

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I'm very, very envious!! Congratulations on your new puppy! What a big switch you decided to make.

From everything I've read, I think the Bernese Mountain Dog is very much like a Golden Retriever in temprament, which is probably why I'm so interested in them! LOL! They're just a bit larger. I met one on the beach in NC last fall. He was wonderful!! I would love to have one someday.......love those big dogs.

Just get your grooming tools ready and set up your puppy obedience classes! I know you will enjoy him so much. And I agree, we would love to see pictures, and you should nominate him as Dog of the Day! I'm not sure we have ever had that breed as Dog of the Day!

Originally posted by Logan
    I'm not sure we have ever had that breed as Dog of the Day!

Sure we have! How about sweet Abby

Well darn! Something told me I should have checked before I said that! Of course we have!

I'll try to send a picture of our little Murphy. I'm not sure I'm doing it right but if it turns out our puppy is the one in the middle. They were about 7 weeks old when the picture was taken. He's much bigger three weeks later! I swear he grows overnight. This big dog thing is a new experience. We have another dog, a 16 pound Kyi Leo who is blind. Murphy in all his puppy enthusiasim will "attack" Dixon who can't see him coming until his tail is being bitten. I wonder if they'll ever get along? It's only been a week but I'm feeling sorry for Dixon. I hope you'll see the picture I'm trying to send. If not I think I need HELP! Thanks for all your kind words. I love people that love dogs!
    Kris
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I see the pic, OMG! what adorable pups!!!!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Beautiful pups! I see what you mean about growing into those paws. They are precious..... and BIG!

Oh man, those are the cutest puppies!!! I'd never heard of this breed until recently (my roommate turned out to "be" this kind of dog on one of those online tests ).
    Have fun!

OH my Gosh.......Look at those Babies !!!
    Pure heaven I would love to take one home!!!
    Welcome to Pet Talk, and feel free to post more
    pictures anytime......Please Thanks. Liz.

I had the same reaction as everyone else - what amazing and adorable pups.

HOW OH HOW - were you ever able to decide on just one. Well, the size of course, but each one is so priceless. Just look at those paws and those little faces.

Thank you for sharing, and we want to hear more stories as your pup grows up.

Oh My Goodness Gracious!! What beautiful pups!!! I am so very jealous, I would love a Bernese someday! There is one that lives near me, a girl named Jasmine. She isn't too much bigger than my Duncan. Then again Duncan is BIG and Jasmine is a female. They play together sometimes. Jasmine has a fenced in yard that backs up to the park we go to off-leash so they kiss in the mornig through the fence! It's too cute!! I remember seeing one at the vet's office that weighed 196 lbs per the owners!!!! His heas was bigger than most rottweilers I have seen! But I have read alot about them and have never heard a bad word!! They are so beautiful. You dont' see too many of them around although I think they are definitely gaining popularity because of their good nature.

Congrats on the new addition anyway. I can't wait to see more and more pics as he grows up!!!!!

Congrats!!!
    Bernese Mountain dogs are very intelligent, and my friend has one, but I don't know much about them...
    But I do know where you can get information...
    http//:www.ask.com
    Under "What can I help you find" type in Where can I find information on the Bernese Mountain Dog?
    Then click ask.
    Then you can click on anything you want to get more information on them.
    If you need any more information, let me know on the thread Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever.
    Hope this helped.
    Oh, you can click things on the right side, and below.