Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5th dog added to 4 Dog Mother's Family

5th dog added to 4 Dog Mother's Family

For those of you who have not been following a thread that I started about Airedale Terriers, this is an official announcement of a new addition to our family. As of yesterday we adopted a 4 year old airedale. His family moved without him and left him with a breeder of aussies to find him a new home. I found his add in petfinder classified when I was looking for Anna's add for Trader.

I began an e-mail conversation with the person who had him and it was soon obvious that this poor boy needed a home pretty badly. He had been an indoor dog but was being kept outside - chained at night and when they were gone.

Yesterday, Carl and I traveled to Kentucky to get this dog and after a rather frustrating afternoon brought Jack home with us. (you can read about that in the airedale thread).

Today I took him to our vet to have shots, the owner couldn't find his records adn couldn't remember if he had his shots or not. So he had his first distemper and rabies today. He was heartwormed tested and that was negative. He has hookworms however and received his first dose of medicene for that. Although we washed off a ton of dirt and bad odor last night, his hair still feels quite greasy and the vet thinks he has allergies so she gave us a special shampoo to use once a week for the next few weeks. He had infections in both ears and his eye is watering but she thinks that is due to an allergy too and so he now has ear and eye medicines. He will get his heart worm injection and his next distemper shot in 3 weeks as well as anothe does of dewormer medication.

His teeth are a disaster. Both lower front ones are broken and there isn't much left of the lower middle ones either. The vet said he has probably been chewing on a chain or fence. She doesn't think the teeth will cause him any long term problems though. Oh yeah, he weighed 54.6 lbs. so he needs to gain a little weight.

He is a very quiet boy, very calm and takes the wild life of Taggert and Snoopy very patiently so far. I am glad that we made the effort to "rescue" him.

And if Amy or Christy paste the pictures the breeder sent me in th is post too you can see what he looks like until I get some new pictures taken and developed.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

I'll say again. Thanks for saving the cutie. It sounds like he had a pretty crappy first 4 years.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

YEAH!!! a new doggie !!!! How exciting!

Here is a picture of Jack from his foster

congrats! how wonderful! thanks for rescueing!

I have to say it again too - YAY for you and YAY for Jack. Thanks so much for saving this sweet boy. I am sure he will bless your life with much happiness.

My Lolly had an awful first 5 years of her life but now she is starting to be a "normal" dog. I know you can make a difference for Jack and when he feels settled in, I'm sure he'll start to feel "normal" just like my Lolly has
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

So many new additions here at Pet Talk!! How wonderful for you!! I'm so glad you are able to give him the loving home he deserves--congratulations!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Yeah for you and Teah for Jack!!!!!
    You have The Best Family!!!!!
    Think of what you and your girls have done in just the new year!!!!!
    Snoopy,Spot,ekk!!! I forgot the new labby pups name!!!I'm sorry Dakotahs'Mommy...but anyhow..another rescue pup!!!and now Sweet Jack!!!!!!!
    He is a Beauty!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

YEAH!!! Keegan has a new friend to play with at the doggie park!!! woohoo!!

Once he gets settled in a little better and you start taking him to the park, let me know and Keeg and I will meet you over there!
    How are him and Dazzi getting along??
    When I saw that you took her to meet him, I thought "that was smart, if he gets along with Dazzi, he can get along with the rest of the crew!!!"! Just ask Keegan!!! j/k

It will be interesting to see how Dazzi and Keegan get along after not seeing each other since November/December dontcha think?
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Dazzi seems to ignor Jack. I dont' think she likes him much and is a little mad at us for bringing another dog into her domain. She spends more time in her kennel pouting I guess.

As for Taggert and Snoopy they cannot decide why he doesnt' want to play. Of course, for Taggert that means someone else to pick at and annoy. he barks at Jack and after awhile Jack growls at him and walks away. Which means that Taggert has to do it again til either Mom or dad get mad at the barking.

And I don't have to tell you what old Oreo thinks - she had this place to herself for 11 years and then we start bringing all these other irritating dogs in.

I am not sure how Dazzi will react to Keegan. I wish there was someway we could tell who and who not she was not going to like. We think we may limit her visits to the dog park this summer because most people dont' like their dogs being attacked by the bossy lady.

--William Feather

Well, it sounds like his first few years were just terrible and I for one am extremely happy you rescued this lovely dog Jack!
    Sorry to hear he had so many health problems, but hopefully when all this is taken care of he will be a healthy & happy boy
    Last edited by anna_66; 04-04-2003 at 08:19 AM.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

WOW! Jack is so handsome.

Bless you for saving him.

Can't wait to meet him!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Wow mom, I had not idea he was in such bad shape. I'm so glad that you decided to go get the cutie! I can't believe that people could treat him like that. You definately made the right decision with this one, no matter what the others in the house think. He had to be rescued! Way to go!

Christy, you would be amazed at how your dad is acting toward this newest adoptee. I think it has made him so upset seeing how poor Jack has been neglected that he has bonded more quickly with this dog than any of the others. I think part of that is because he craves attention so much and comes up and just wants petted and hugged so much. And he especially loves to have his ears rubbed - I imagine it makes them feel better with the infection in there. I put the medication in this morning and he let your dad rub and rub and rub those ears.

Later we will give him a bath in his new shampoo. He has been scratching alot and we are finding tufts of his hair around. We can only hope that whatever he was allergic too was in KY and not here in OH so that he won't loose all his hair - a hairless airedale, oh no! We are giving him the same vitamins we give the others and we are hoping with the change in dog food we will soon start seeing an improvement in his skin.

He is still sleeping in our room on the floor. Such a good boy - he doesn't even try to get on the bed - but I think that is becasue he finds it too warm after sleeping outside. He has been waking up once during the night and since we don't know what he wants we've been putting him out - which is amazing cause the others don't even fuss about his getting to go out while they are still kenneled. Last night dad put him out because I didn't even hear him. Which says something about the way he feels about him.

Dadl didn't think he liked the airdale breed - their square noses in particular but Jack's isn't square and now dad thinks he is the greatest!!!

--William Feather

Sounds like things are going good then! If dad accepts him than half the battle is already won! Yeah, he is a cutie, I just can't get over that! Thanks for the update, looking forward to hear more and more about him and one day meeting him!