Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small breeds vs. Golden Retrievers

Small breeds vs. Golden Retrievers

Ever since my 10-year old son wrote a research paper about Golden Retriever last year, he started demanding that we adopt a Golden Retriever for its loving, gentle, and intelligent characteristics. On the other hand, his mom prefers a smaller breed. Is there any small breed of dogs that have the characteristics of a Golden Retriever. Both my wife and son like a cute and hairy type. Thanks a lot.

John

You could prob find a mutt. My dog is Lab/Golden ret. and she is small for those breeds. Shes not tiny, but not big, the prefect size in my opionion..im sure you could find one like that to suit your needs, unless your looking for a purebred?

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Maybe you should listen to your son, those Goldens are wonderful dogs and very loyal, would probably protect your son with it's life. We have many golden people on here that can tell you all about them.
    Personally I have small hairy dogs, Two Mini Schnauzers, we love them very much but they can be very independent, some like children and some don't and they don't always get along with other dogs. It depends on the personality of the Schnauzer, and you really can't tell that until you have one for a while. Of course we wouldn't trade them for anything.
    I'm sure you will have plenty of people on here who will be glad to give you advice, but your son is right the Goldens are a wonderful dog.
    Jackie

Yes I agree, you should maybe go for a half breed lab as you may find one smaller, which fits both you and your family.

I find your son to be a most intelligent boy!!! Can you tell why??

My 11 year old daughter and our two Golden Retrievers on a beach trip last fall.

I could never suggest a better companion for a child, big or not. Just my two cents worth! Welcome to Pet Talk.

Logan: Your Goldies are beautys

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Golden Reteivers

They are fantastic dogs. I had two growing up, They are great with everyone, learn easily, and not to mention, BEAUTIFUL. You dont worry about having other animals, as long as they are taught that the other animal lives there as well, they will not bother them. When I had mine, we had horses, pigs, duclks, geese, cats and other dogs. They did not bother any of them.
    Taz's Mom

Originally posted by slleipnir
    Logan: Your Goldies are beautys
    Thank you, Audrey. I am quite proud of them. And of course, we love them like they are our babies!!!

I think something to consider when choosing a large or smaller dog is the amount of outdoor space that you have for the dog to get some exercise. I know there are those who are able to accommodate the needs of big dogs without a good sized yard, but it does take extra determination. I think the one mistake I made early on in my living my life with dogs was underestimating the amount and type of exercise that dogs need. Romping and playing and letting them run on a daily basis is essential. The truth of the matter is that a bigger dog requires more space to do this.

Another factor to consider is that a bigger dog needs a bit more strength to a handle, especially while they are still in the training stage. Getting a reluctant small dog into the bath tub may be a struggle, but the bigger they are, the more effort it takes. I guess I'm just getting to an age where I notice these things more.

As those of us who have been around this board for a long time can attest to, some of the BEST dogs in the world are those who need a second chance at a home. Be it a puppy or grown dog, the dogs one can find at a shelter or rescue organizations are often the ones that have turned out to be the most appreciative of the new lives they are given. Please take a look under www.hua.org in the section called *Looking For Love* to see a wonderful variety of dogs that need homes. I think one of our members (Chuck help me out here) has also compiled a list of other sites to check out. The rewards of *adoption* are unlimited.

goldie pound mix

go to your local rescue pound and look for the goldie mix that chooses you and your son. You will know he/she when he/she knows you. Nuf said. L

Sorry

John,

Sorry if I didn't respond seriously enough to your question when I responded last night. I was ganging up on you in support of your son! But the kids aren't the ones who end up paying the bills, cleaning up the hair, buying the 40 pound bags of dog food, cleaning up the messes......so you have to do what is right for your family.

You've had some more serious responses to the question this morning. The only thing I would add is that Golden Retrievers are very much family dogs, as most dogs are. They are social, they want to be where you are, and sometimes that means on the couch, on the bed, etc. They are smart though and can be trained to behave appropriately.

You and your family will be able to settle on the perfect dog that each of you can love. It may be a Golden, a mix, a mutt......but it will be loved, and that is what is important.

I chose my Goldens for pure love of the breed and I just wanted to share a little of my happiness with you when I posted the picture of Honey and Lilly with my daughter at the beach.
    Good luck, whatever your decision.

Everyone else has responded so well, that I might just add that whatever breed you choose, there is a rescue group or shelter out there that, after a little searching perhaps, is holding the dog of your dreams!! Just about every "pure breed" has a rescue group as well, if you are set on a Golden or other pedigreed dog!

Very often becoming a guardian to one of these "rescued" angels is an excellent choice for a first dog....many are adults, and pose few of the "issues" and hours of hard work required in the raising of a puppy! Also, their mature personalities and sizes, their likes and dislikes, are very apparent...Are you looking for a dog that is laid back, or higher energy,?? Good with kids/pets, loves adventure and sports, or long naps!! And of course the "seniors" are magnificent !!!!!!!

As has been said already, PLEASE consider the amt. of time you and your family have/are willing to commit to such things as grooming, vaccuming up shedding fur, exercise needs, the size of your yard, amt. of time you can devote to group playtime, etc. Of course, larger breeds require more exercise, more food, and couch space! LOL!! Again, some of the most loving, loyal, devoted and gentle dogs can be found at your local shelter! My Dog of a Lifetime, my Lab Jingles (Rainbow Bridge) was a rescue!!! Please consider adopting, whatever breed you choose!! (P.S.....Labs and lab mixes are GREA family dogs!!
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 03-09-2002 at 09:14 AM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Whatever you finally decide, please come back to let us know as once we get involved in your life , we need to know the *rest of the story*. And there is no better story than that of a boy and his first dog.

My parents have a golden mixed with ??? (humane society said dauschound, vet said cocker), but she is about 25-30 lbs and a very good dog. She listens well, plays well with Sadie and Cincy, and loves to go for car rides. They were really happy to get her

John, I'm going to suggest a Tibetan Spaniel, a small but sturdy breed that's described as a big dog in a small dog's body.
    We've always owned working-type dogs...border collies & shelties but for 4 years we've had our first Tibetan Spaniel. And we're delighted with the breed's compact size, beautiful but wash 'n wear coat, & intelligent charming temperament.
    I've attached a picture of our Tibbie, Angel, who'll be 8 yrs old this year. She's golden but Tibs come in many colours.
    Tibetan Spaniels were bred for centuries in the Buddhist monasteries of Tibet where they were companions to the monks & alert watchdogs. In the harsh conditions of Tibet, humans & animals had to think quickly to survive...so Tibetan Spaniels have a characteristic intelligent independence of mind. They're also warmly responsive to their owners & are often used as therapy dogs.
    Our Angel does pet therapy work. She was also nominated for a Canine Hero Award for saving the life of a tiny child by alerting people when she'd wandered onto a busy road. So our little Tibbie was up there with the big, brave dogs. Our city's Tibbie owners have their own website, where you can see more pics of Angel & Brock her black Tib cousin & other Tibbie pets.
    http://www.home.gil.com.au/~kmorcom
    There's also lots of information about Tibetan Spaniels on their Global Village site. You'll find links to the North American Tibetan Spaniel Rescue (which may have tibs available) & to lists of breeders.
    http://www.tibbies.net

Marie
    Here's a pic of our Angel.
    Attached Images Attached Images