Thread: My dog is overweight...... Help me please!

My dog is overweight...... Help me please!

Hi there...... my four year old Shetland Sheepdog is overweight...he weighs about 40 pounds now. I take him on log walks and jogs, and he's on a strict diet (but not toooooo strict) but it doesn't seem to be helping him lose weight. Any suggestions???
    **_*Robyn*_**

take him to the vet. he could have a thryoid condition. anytime you have any problem with him, whether it be a skin condition or a weight problem...or anything that you are concerned about, take the dog to the vet.

there are some knowledgable people here, but I don't think any of us are vets. The vet is the first person you should be asking.

Do you feed the dog low fat food? We have a 10 year old Lab/Shepard mix and he weighed in at 106 when we got him from a lady in New York and he could hardly walk. We put him on reduced fat and reduced amount and he dropped weight like a stone and he is now even running around the backyard and while he still needs to lose weight, he is much healthier now. But, I agree that you need to take him to the vet and have him tested for thyroid and anything else that might be causing a problem. Good luck and keep us informed.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

I totally agree with Mugsy. We had much success when we switched foods and started Honey and Lilly on a weight control formula. We used Iams Weight Control, in the blue bag, for six months. Now they are eating California Natural Low Calorie, Lamb and Rice. They are maintaining their weight beautifully.

You can get low cal treats as well, plus supplement with fresh vegetables, carrots and green beans. Some people use cottage cheese (lowfat of course) and plain yogurt successfully as well.

Good luck. It will work. But I agree with the others. Have a thyroid test run first, just to rule out medical issues before starting the diet.

overweight

Hello,
    I had the same problem with my maltese. I had him neutered and gained all kinds of weight. He went from 7 lbs to about 14 lbs. AHHHH! My vet suggested that I make his food, it's a pain but it worked. Baked chicken with potatoes. I also walked him for about 20 minutes everynight. I got him down to 9 lbs and he has stayed there. Good luck!

my shelties

im having the same problem with my six year old sheltie named Daisy she is 30 pounds. my other sheltie hugo is not over weight so its hard to put daisy on a diet because they eat from the same food dish.

My mothers sheltie is the same way, he's about 35-40 pounds. I put him on a diet along with my beagle Hannah and Hannah lost 15-20 pounds and Tucker lost nothing. The vet said he was fine put him on low fat food and give him plenty of excersize. That was about 4-5 months ago and he hasn't lost a pound. He is happy and active but he is a big boy, my dads sheltie is so tiny and they have always eaten the same food and the same amount and gotten the same amout of excersize ??? We can't figure out why he's so big.
    ~~ My House Is Not A Home Without A Hound ~~