Thread: questions about a Macaw...help!

questions about a Macaw...help!

I have several questions and would like someone experienced with them to e-mail. We already have a Cherryhead Conure and a Blue Crown Conure. We are about to purchase a Blue & Gold Macaw and I need to know if one that is 6 years old and is half tame can be tamed easy and will it hurt my other birds or our kitten.
    Someone know??????
    Thanks Kim

Patience, patience, and patience! Have you met the bird yet? How tame is "half-tame?" Has the blue-gold been around other birds? As with any time that one brings a new pet into a family that already has pets, probably a slow and careful period of introduction and initial segregation would be in order ... How long have you had your two current birds? I would certainly keep it away from the kitten at first, as Macaws have very strong beaks, and kittens can be fearless-but-fragile!

if you could e-mail me I can explain everything. I have only owned the Cherryhead a few months and the Blue Crown a fews weeks. The Blue Crown is incredibly loveable and friendly. the Cherryhead I am ridding of if we buy the Macaw. The Cherryhead is friendly(4 mos old) but since I got the Blue she is turned opposite her attitude. The people that have the Macaw are good freinds and BIG breeders here. The Macaw is outside in a cage with a BUNCH of other birds..Cackatoos (4 of them) are beside this Macaw. Yes, the macaw is freindly enough to pet but as they told us she just needs attention and she would be a perfect pet for us. they did say she is a "mans" bird and that is really all that scares me (besides her hurting the kitten or the Blue) because I am here all the time and I would be the one giving most of the attention to her.