Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You KNOW you're broke...

You KNOW you're broke...

when you're fighting a bag lady for a marked down, dented can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup in the discount rack at the store.

I went to the store today with $35 (that's AFTER putting $15 worth of gas in my car) to get SOME food (stuff I could stretch out into different meals), plus cat litter. Of course the cat litter was the most expensive $11 (Feline Pine). I was scrutinizing EVERYTHING (I don't really need to eat healthy, just sustain this svelte, overweight body of mine) I managed to buy a family pack of chicken boobies for $7.45 (so instead of eating egg salad for the next week, I'll be eating chicken salad instead ). I came to the "discount" rack (dented cans, opened packages, etc.) I thought I had hit the MOTHERLOAD!!!! I wanted to 6itch slap this lady because she wouldn't let me near rack to get what I wanted. I had my eye on a mighty fine looking dented can of corn and string beans (to add to my soup I'll make) and was just about to grab them. GONE!! After struggling to get around this rather LARGE woman (I knew if I put up a stink she could kick my @ss) I gave up. I have a confession *hangs head in shame* though. I bought 4 Granny Smith Apples. $1.49/lb!! How DARE I waste my money on such frivilous necessities! I'll just have to eat my cereal dry, that's all.

I hate shopping!! $35 just doesn't go far anymore.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I can relate...i took my last $13 to the store the other day, and I made it out with a loaf of bread, a hunk of cheese, a package of tortillas, and some *ahem* feminine necessities. Lots of cheese sandwiches and quesadillas for me this week.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I know that feeling Donna (but luckily at the time I didn't have any furkids). I lived on spaghetti with butter. I'm surprised I can still eat it today I at so much of it when I was living on my own
    Do you have an Aldis where you live? You could get a weeks worth of good grocerys there for $35.

Hopefully things will get better for you soon.

Its amazing to me what everything costs compared to an average income, I think my income is pretty good but poof its gone. I have 2 teenagers eating me out of house and home, I think I honestly spend around $1,000 a month on groceries at least. That doesn't include the occasional meal out or lunch money.

I remember back when I was in college, to this day I can't stand top ramen.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyBogart
    and some *ahem* feminine necessities.
    That was probably half of your $13 right? Those things are so expensive now-a-days it isn't even funny, can't live with out em though.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

[QUOTE=CathyBogart] and some *ahem* feminine necessities. [QUOTE]

Chocolate????

Oh yeah, I know the feeling? As anna_66 said, if you have an Aldis (or Save a Lot) near you, you can really save some money. Take your own bags though, because you have to pay for theirs (unless you use their little boxes)

[QUOTE=RICHARD][QUOTE=CathyBogart] and some *ahem* feminine necessities.

Chocolate????

Well, that IS certainly a necessity!!

LOL! Not the necessity I was talking about, but definitely something I can't live without. Fortunately, my boyfriend bought me a box of cadberry eggs so I'm safe for a little while.

I try to do some grocery shopping at my local Dollar Club since they have a surprising amound of foodstuffs there, but sometimes I really just want something that resembles FOOD, you know?

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I am in such a habit of shopping from when we had 2 kids and little money . I still go to the dollor store for canned and pastas (unless I make it)
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

Donna, how about making a huge pot of spagetti Bolognaise sauce, it's really cheap - and you can freeze it in little containers, enough for one meal at a time. It's also easy, you just have to boil the spagetti.

Don't buy already grated Parmesan, get a good chunk of it and grate yourself - that will also go in the freezer. You can save a lot of money this way, and get better quality.

This is also quite cheap. Make a lot of meatballs, you can also freeze those. Have them with cold potato salad. The meatballs are a bit time consuming, but once they're done ....

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Corinna,

I also use the Dollar Store for alot of stuff. Why pay full price when you can pay a buck, right??

Randi,

I buy those Bear Creek soups and add stuff to them and freeze it. I've learned to cut corners since being unemployed. And I'm sure my furkids would be more than willing to share if they had to!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

When I lived on my own my system was this-

Take my budget and plan a meal, something that I could eat for a few days and then some other foodstuffs that I could use.....

I"d write the amount I had to spend at the top of my list and then guesstimate what I wanted and what it would cost to purchase that item(s).

As I went down the list I would subtract the cost until there was no money left...

The secret was to overestimate the prices.....

example,

A loaf of bread........$1.00

Then you look for the .89 cent loaf..

Two cans of veggies...... 1.50

Then look for .59 cent veggies....

--------------------------

When I left the store I had enough money for a cheap hamburger fries and a coke.....

-------------------------

CB,
    You mean women need MORE than chocolate?

NOW I'm really

Chocolate!!!! Damn! I knew I forgot something!! Doesn't matter anyway. I can't afford it. I can always open up my last envelope of hot cocoa and eat it, should I get THAT desperate for chocolate.

I hear ya babe. I've been eating ramen noodles and wheat thins for a few weeks now. But Kia's happy with her $20 dog food.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June