Thread: Beware

Beware

If you have a cat who wears a collar read this!!!

I put a collar on my cat Misty about 1 year ago. Just recently she started to breat hard and I noticed she didn't have as much energy as she did awile ago. I just figured it was because she was getting older almost 7 years old! Well today I noticed that her collar tag was up and I wanted it to hang cause ti looks pretty. I went over to turn it and I tuged on it a bit and she started to choke! She scared me half to death! I couldn't get it off of her and it was choking her!!! My mom was finally able to get it off! I couldn't stop crying! Aparently her collar got hard..which was really weird. it was digging into her neck. She has cuts on it now and it is very soar. I feel so bad! What kind of mother lets her child choke. I just wanted to warn you, if you put a collar on your cat check it regurally to make sure it doesn't get hard. I don't know why it did this but I don't want it to happen to any one elses cat!

That is so sweet and brave of you to post a mistake on here so it won't happen to others. Please don't blame yourself. I'm sure its not one of the first things on most people's minds that they need to check their cat's collar. Thanks for the warning!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Anytime! I don't know what people will say because it was a stupid mistake of me to make but I just hope I can help others in the future fro mmakeing the mistake I did!

Even though my cats don't wear collars, thanks for the information. I'm sure it will help someone here.

Wow your cats are so pretty...they look like a happy bunch!
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Thank you Aspen and Misty. They are very happy. I'm also very happy to have found them.

That is good that you guys are a happy bunch. I can't get over how pretty they are! Hugs to all of them

Aspen & Misty
    How scary for you, poor thing. I hope Misty is doing better now that the collar is off of her. Was it a regular cat collar, flea collar or what?
    Remember one thing about a collar. As long as you can comfortably fit two fingers under the collar, it is safe.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Flea collars are especially bad about getting hard and need to be watched carefully. Glad your baby is ok. Give sweet Misty a hug from me, please.

The collar I put on Misty was a regular one. The collar was also big enough to fit around her head incase if it got stuck on something. I mean don't get me wrong, I did everything that aniaml lovers do when putting a collar on a pet. I even watched her for like a half hour just to make sure it didn't bother her. I wanted everything to be perfect, she looked really good in it, Blue is her color.

Misty says thank you for the hug. She says be carefull with collars, it was horrible experince and no cat should ever have to go through that, but that can of "I'm sorry" Tunna sure was good!

Thanks for telling us. I am going to put one on my new kitten soon so she doen't get stolen or lost. I will have to be extra careful.

We check our cats often to make sure they are not tight. We also use the kind that "break away" if they get caught on something. Last night Max was out on the chain in the yard (I got him a harness but we do not like it... it's the figure 8 style?? And either it's too loose and comes off around his feet or too tight around the neck... Im getting him a new one this weekend in Canada) and a car drove by and he freaked... :/ he came in w/no collar on.... but it doesnt break super easily and I can snap it back on.

~~~Rachel in Alaska
    Mom to "Max, Milo and Pepper Ann" 11.5 month old Teenagers

http://www.pbase.com/alasknmom/kittens/
    updated 10/30/02