Thread: Mom living in world of woe

Mom living in world of woe

I have emailed the writer of this story that was in my local newspaper. I would like to help this mother and son this Christmas. Her story really touched me. My family has everything they need; I'd rather spend my Christmas money on someone with hard luck. I'll let you know when the writer responds in case anyone else wants to help her out. Anyways, I just thought I'd share.

Mom living in world of woe

Stolen car latest blow for Modesto stroke survivor and Down syndrome son

Colleen Joyce and her son, Jack, are without their car after it was stolen from their driveway. She has been renting a car, but won't be able to afford it for long.

MARTY BICEK/THE BEE
    By ROGER W. HOSKINS
    BEE STAFF WRITER

It had been another difficult week in a difficult life.
    Colleen Joyce, a 32-year-old single mother from Modesto, arose early Nov. 19, just three days after her grandmother's death. She was getting a head start on her day's chores so she could go to "Nanni's" funeral in the foothills near Jackson.

She opened the door with her right hand, her left hand useless because of a stroke, and then removed the padlock on the gate that led to her garage and front yard. She walked with a limp, her left leg adorned with a metal brace covered by a boot.

Joyce expected to see her gray and brown 1987 Chevrolet Celebrity in its spot in the driveway where she left it after friends had helped her unload groceries the night before.

But the car was gone. She would discover later that the keys had been left in the car.

The thieves stole more than her car, wallet, checkbook, car seat and child leash. In essence, they stole her keys to the world. They stole her life.

Joyce is literally at the end of her rope. "I'm starting to panic. The car was junk, but it's not like I can get on a bus."

She gets up early every morning because getting her 4-year-old son, Jack, who has Down syndrome, ready for the day takes time.

"Jack knows that he can run faster than me," Joyce said. If Jack is cooperating, she can get him bathed, dressed and fed in about an hour.

But first she has to get herself ready. One time when she got Jack ready first, she paid for it.

"I got out of the shower and he was playing in the fireplace," she said. "He was covered with ashes. His bath looked like lye."

She said Jack is the reason she learned how to drive and got a car.

"Can you see me trying to take my baby on a bus?" she asked. "I only have one hand. I can't control him and carry groceries."

The car theft left her scrambling to find transportation.

To get a rental car took almost every cent she had left in the house. And she said it was still only because the agency was understanding and let her have a preferred customer deal that she could rent a car at all.

"I cancelled all my accounts. I had $221 in cash," Joyce said. "I had to pay $20 for my DMV printout just so I could rent a car. I put down $200 (deposit) for the car. I had $1 left so I got a bottle of water," Joyce said.

The car has to go back to the rental agency Friday. She can't afford it any longer.

On the lookout

She has become her own detective, cruising west Modesto's streets and alleys looking for her car. She thought she spotted it Sunday.

"By the time I took the baby home and came back, the car was gone again," she said.

The thief or thieves left a clue behind when they stole the car.

"They left me a bike. I guess they didn't need it any more. The bastards!"

Joyce can't use the bicycle because of the weakness in her left side. She turned it over to police, hoping a handprint or fingerprint could lead officers to the car or the culprit who took it.

Her rent accounts for more than half of the $1,450 monthly government allotments she receives for herself and her son. The rest of the money goes to utilities and food.

Joyce said she does not want to stay on Social Security because "this government job doesn't pay much." But she said she has no choice as long her son's care requires so much time.

"When Jack goes to school, I want to get a job," Joyce said. She is uncertain what she will or can do. Before her stroke she was a model for Venus Swimwear.

Her brain 'flooded'

But the course she had planned changed in January 1997. "First my home on Robertson Road was flooded and then it was my brain that flooded."

Her problem was caused by a hereditary enlargement of arteries in her brain. That was what required surgery after the stroke. After rehabilitation had restored much of her strength on the left side, a second brain surgery took it away again.

She said she doesn't think she will ever recover.

"I can lift my left arm, but I can't do anything with my hand," she said.

Her son loves watching "The Wiggles" with her and Jack laughs at mom's feeble attempts to clap and dance. Playing with his toy balls and trucks are other favorite pastimes. "He has trouble with catching, but he loves to kick and throw," mom said.

And when he would have a bad night, Joyce would pack him up in the car and take him for a drive. Jack would always settle down and go to sleep easily.

And after Friday, if she no longer has a car, what will Joyce do then?

"Life has given me a lot of lemons," said Joyce, whose father died in a motorcycle accident when she was 3. "I'll make some more lemonade. I'm getting good at it."

Thank you Wolfie!

Honest to God, if I had any extra money, that brave woman would get it. and I think I have problems. Shame on me...I'd send this to Oprah, I really would. I hope those jerks are caught and get what they deserve and more. What's happening to our society? It makes me sick. This did not make my night...hope I can sleep..it's already 247Am and now I'm totally pissed off.

I've been Boooo'd!

gosh that is horrible! Your a very great person to think about calling the paper to send something to her. I hope more people do this for her. God Bless her.

I agree with Karen, send this one to Oprah...she is always helping out people in need...it can't hurt to try...

Sad story has happy ending

OMG! I am so choked up right now. I went to look up her story to email it to Ophrah, and look what I found! What a wonderful world we live in!

Sad story has happy ending
    Offers to help woman, her son pour in after plight publicized

By ROGER W. HOSKINS
    BEE STAFF WRITER

Last Updated: December 1, 2004, 05:19:27 AM PST

Colleen Joyce will have a little help from her friends near and far in making life's lemonade a little sweeter.
    Help is coming from scores of people who read Tuesday's story in The Bee of the 32-year-old single mom, a stroke victim on welfare who was down to her last dollar after her car was stolen on Nov. 19.

A car thief, or thieves, drove off with the 1987 Chevrolet Celebrity that she had parked in her driveway, leaving the keys in it by accident.

The car "was junk," she said, but it was the only transportation she had for herself and 4-year-old son, Jack, who has Down syndrome and who now, suddenly, didn't even have a car seat.

Joyce's story touched Bee readers from all over the valley, the country, and even Canada.

A typical response came from Claude Giles, a 78-year-old veteran of three wars who lives just outside Columbia. "I have sleep apnea and a pacemaker but I've been blessed," he said. "To read about all her bad luck and she still wants to be independent. I just want to help some way."

David Thompson, a 9-year-old from Modesto, was among hundreds who contacted The Bee wanting to know how they could help. Thompson said he thought it was sad that someone would steal Joyce's car.

Among the pledges were 12 offers of cars.

Joyce was overwhelmed by the outpouring of support.

"Don't tell me any more," she said, choking up as she learned of one promise of assistance after another. "I'm a tough guy. I'm not supposed to cry."

Support from all quarters

Some people who wanted to donate were on welfare themselves. They offered money or to be a taxi service for Joyce and her son.

Parents of disabled children, educators and doctors and nurses all called with pledges. They were from Modesto, Manteca, Ceres, Sonora, Turlock, Manteca and Oakdale.

Internet readers contacted The Bee from Alabama, Florida, Kansas, Michigan, New Jersey and Oregon.

Two banks called offering to set up trust funds. Workers at Washington Mutual's Vintage Faire branch called after raising $200 to challenge other branches to match their effort.

Four pledges of cars came from local dealers and three from retirees. None of the dealers would comment or allow themselves to be identified.

At Fireside Dodge, employees and customers started a Christmas fund for the Joyces. By 4 p.m. Tuesday, they had raised $2,500.

Joyce chose a 2000 Impala because its size made it the best match.

All she could say was "we live in a wonderful community." And she wept. In fact, she said she's crying every time the phone rings because it's always good news.

Gould Medical Foundation is planning on taking Joyce and her son on a shopping spree at Target.

A couple of single moms also pledged a new car seat. Others came forward willing to pay to extend her rental car. A 49ers fan offered to auction autographed memorabilia to help raise funds.

Many were like Monty Kelly and Joe Leo, who said they just "wanted to make her lemonade a little sweeter."

Radio station B93 (93.1 FM) also planned to feature Joyce's story at 8 a.m. today on the "Morning Show" with Tammy Cruz and Angie Good.

Meanwhile, Advancing Vibrant Communities, a Modesto-based ministry involved in many social and charitable efforts, has offered to coordinate the help that is pouring in for Joyce.

"It's what we do," said president Mike Douglas, also a pastor who once served at Big Valley Grace Community Church.

If there is a surplus of funds, Joyce promised she would do whatever she could to help others. If there is enough, she would start a foundation to help families with disabled parents or children find reliable transportation.

And as soon as she has her own car, Joyce said, she will be volunteering to give rides to other disabled people.

Joyce said all she really wanted when she talked to a reporter was to get her old car back. "It was my grandma's, and it ran good."

As people's generosity continues to overwhelm her, she had one concern. "I won't have to write a thank-you note to the dummies who stole my car, will I?"

To donate to Colleen Joyce, make checks payable to AVC and put "for Colleen Joyce" on the memo line. Funds should be taken or addressed to: 422-B Coffee Road, Modesto, 95355-4916. For more information, check www.vibrantcommunities.org. You can contact AVC at 544-9571 or by e-mail at [email protected].

Staff writer Roger W. Hoskins can be reached at 578-2311 or by e-mail at [email protected].

Thank you Wolfie!

wow. We always hear about the crimes and all the bad things that happen in our society. Deep Down people are really great and there is always good. The good overrides the bad, but the bad just gets talked about the most. Thats great news. I am glad people are helping them out.

That is so wonderful how they came to her aid like that..there are a lot of good folks in this world

Wow! That was really touching. I was moved by the first article, but even moreso with the second. It's really nice to see how communities and people from around the world can reach out to a stranger in support. What a nice thing to read on the first day of December...makes for a nice Christmas story!
    **hugs**

Wow that is still wonderful. I still hope they catch the guy who took her car. If I had enough I would still send her money because she is still going to need help down the road.

A positive attitude may not solve allyour problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.-Herm Albright