Thread: naughty spaniel loves rolling in poop

naughty spaniel loves rolling in poop

Hello,
    i know this is a gross thing to talk about , but i realy hate walking this little working coccer spaniel!!!! it absolutley loves rolling in any strong smelling poo!!!!!!! he gets covered in it!!! he also eats it!!!!
    another thing he gets enjoment out of is eating and rolling on dead crearures!!!!!!!!!!!
    is there anything that will stop him coz it is soo grosss!!!! he absolutley stinks!!
    but he is very cute!!! silky black coat n big brown eyes and massive floppy ears!! (unless he has a new purfume on)
    please help
    love little_critter (beki)

I don't believe anything can be done about rolling in smelly things. This is a natural behaviour. Wolves will roll in droppings and on dead things to cover up their scent so that their prey is easier to hunt. Some dogs still carry this instinct today. The only advice I can offer is to poop scoop right when your dog is done pooping, and keep your dog onleash during walks and don't let him near poop or dead things. As for eating poop, this could be an obsessive thing, or he could have a nutrional deficiency (what kind of food does he eat?). Some dogs just like the taste. Just do not let him have a chance to get near poop. It can make him very sick. It can give him worms, pancreatitis, gastric problems...The dog could give someone toxoplasmosis...You can try spray suited for making a dog stop eating feces, but it's not usually very effective. Prevention is the key.
    I've been BOO'd!

my spaniel is the same way
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

:)

glad to hear this naughy boy is not on his own!!!!! i have an extendable leash now, so i can stop him in time from taking a plunge in the poop!!!
    thanks for your help
    love beki (little critter)
    xxxxxx

Luckily, Fenway doesn't roll in poop. But he does roll in dead things. I basically just let him since this is a natural thing for dogs to do. However, I draw the line at him rolling in dead fish. P.U.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If rolling in poop and dead things bothers you, then I would leash your dog and keep him close. Perhaps distract your dog with a treat or toy when you see he's going to roll in poop or a dead creature?

Good luck.

:)

thanks! its worth a try!
    its a good job jenson is so cute!!!!

Jesse doesn't roll in dead things, but she loves to carry them in her mouth. I just dig in her mouth and tear it out. I tell her no, but I'm not too harsh because it is natural for her!!! I agree, keep Jenson close to you and don't scream and yell, but give a stern no to try to stop Jenson. Good luck

There probably isn't much you can do about that, my husky loves to roll in poop, too. If you see the poop or something before the dog gets to it, maybe veer off a little bit. If the dogs gets to it you could try to pull on the leash and get him out of there.

my jack russell had not done it for a while but she did this morning. I'm sure this is not breed spesific but I wonder if large dogs do it as well?

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

poop rolling

i think it is dog like collies,labs,huskys and spaniels that do it , mostly. i think perhanps this is because they are working type dogs and they have more stamina & livleyness>???
    from beki little critter

Originally posted by future vet
    There probably isn't much you can do about that, my husky loves to roll in poop, too.
    well I guess it's not size specisic either then

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

Gracie went thru a phase of rolling in it when she was younger..I just made sure I had it all picked up in the back yard when she would go...now only time she really rolls is when she has just been groomed or wet...so as long as it stays picked up its no problem

awww

is that little black fluffy dog gracie?? awwwwwwwww!! she is soo cute!!
    what breed is she??? gorgeouse doggie!!!!
    from beki (little critter)