Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pit bulls??

Pit bulls??

I have been bitten/attacked by SO many dogs the past couple of weeks, suddenly every dog wants to eat me. Now I get bitten nearly every day but I never classify them as attacks unless they draw blood or they are really scary, so this is ridiculous. So for those who think pitties are bad..

Last week a golden jumped on me with such a force that he pushed me off the drying bench. I was lucky I moved my head out of the way, he tried to bite me in the face. The day after a maltese tore up my hand. The day after a lab went after my face and actually got me. My chin was bruised for a couple of days and I had a puncture wound in my hand and one slice down my finger. A couple days ago a golden attacked my arm and my hand. My arm is still all bruised and I have two puncture wounds in my hand. I had to muzzle him the entire time I dired and groomed him because he kept going after me. Yesterday a lab went for my face (missed thank god, this thing is huge!), and a sheltie cocker mix got my hand.

But not one single pit bull, rottweiler, etc etc. In fact of all the large dogs I get bit or attacked by goldens most often.
    I've been BOO'd!

Well we all have our thoughts on the subject. My Steele boy's brother had his lower jaw literaly ripped off his face from a charging pitbull while he was on his leash. Although they can be real sweet with humans (which I have experienced) I would NEVER trust them around my Collies. They are great to watch in the Conformation ring though.
    Now you know why your customers don't learn to groom thier own dogs lol
    Here's an attachment of my 10 yr old daughter learning to dry and groom for her first time with a Collie
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

"Just when you think there are no Angels, a Collie comes into your life"
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    but by the moments that take our breath away"

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,
    ABANDONED LIVES TO ME, I OFFER HOPE, CARE, WARMTH AND MOST OF ALL LOVE,

Pledge of a Rescue Worker

Ouch! I had a dog bite me in the face once as well, he didn't get me bad, but it sure scared me (it was a chow/aussie mix). I haven't actually been bitten (hard enough to bleed) in a very long time *knock on wood* I guess I have good reflexes heh, j/k. For the record the 3 worst bites I've had were by a persian cat and 2 miniature poodles.

My opinion is that every dog will bite, regardless of breed or size that is how they defend themselves. Some dogs just have a very high tolerance level and would only bite in extreme circumstances, and others will bite over anything sometimes without warning.

We did have one pit bull problem. It was a female that seemed pretty well cared for and she was very sweet with the groomer when she was bathed. But later she managed to get out of her cage and attack the first dog she saw without any sort of provocation at all (the dog she attacked was very sweet and mellow, didn't even fight back) and it took 3 people to beat the dog off, then the dog turned on them and bit one girl pretty bad.

I'm not in any means saying all pitties are like that, every other one I've met has been extremely sweet. I've also had a malamute and a german shepherd try to attack me (separate incidences); I guarantee if they were not wearing muzzles at the time I would have been in the hospital. I don't hold that against the entire breeds, that's ridiculous. There's a guy who comes in with several GSDs all rescue dogs that were abused and they are just the sweetest, most well behaved dogs.

I've never had a problem with golden retrievers that I can think of; they've all been very nice (sometimes rambunctious but not mean) dogs. The majority of dogs that try to bite at my work are small dogs. There are some really wonderful dogs of every breed, and some really mean ones too which in most cases is caused by the owner mistreating the dog or just lack of training.
    Last edited by wolf_Q; 07-28-2006 at 11:04 PM.

My opinion is that every dog will bite, reguardless of breed or size that is how they defend themselves. Some dogs just have a very high tolerance level and would only bite in extreme circumstances, and others will bite over anything sometimes without warning.
    I agree 100%.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

All I can say in this is A) I was guilty of an awful dog (toy poodle who after she turned 15 became very rotten to her groomer) and B) not guilty on the basis that my cocker is a doll at the groomers! I groomed years ago for almost 9 years and was bitten twice both by bassets

Lets see at work I have been bitten by...
    2 corgis
    maltese
    I can't even count how many labs and lab mixes I have been bitten by
    a golden
    2 PWD
    lets see 3 different designer breeds
    and not once have I been bitten by a "aggresive breed" and yes we get tons of "aggresive breeds in". Are best dogs at work are the "aggresive breeds"

BUT OUCH THOSE PIT BULL TAILS HURT REALLY BAD!! This lovely pitbull named Stella is a major tail wagger and her tail is like a wip!
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q
    I guarantee if they were not wearing muzzles at the time I would have been in the hospital.
    You have no idea how many times I've said that lol. One time I was grooming a GSD and I muzzled her after she tried to bite me. Started brushing, and two seconds later she turned around and I felt her teeth hit me between the mouth and nose. My face would have been gone.

I do have to say, worst breed to groom --- the Belgian. They SUCK to groom. Visa is awesome because she's been groomed forever, but the majority of them are never groomed at home. I haven't been bittenby one yet, but it's been close. They are the one breed that I really really watch while I'm doing anything to it.
    I've been BOO'd!

Gosh Amy, that is to bad the pit bull did that. I think it all comes down to the owner if you own a pit you the owner should know if he/she is dog aggressive or not. I get so tired of stupid pit bull owners. That is why the breed had such a bad name.

I have never had any problems with Ebony and another dog but I would never leave her alone with another dog, it is up to ME to keep her and any other dog out of harms way.

I feel really bad for all of you that have had bad dealings with pit bulls because they really are an amazing breed its to bad some owners have to ruin that.

I wonder why people even tak a pittie to a groomer? There isnt much to groom on them. It must be to bathe them and clip their nails.

Woflsoul, I'm sorry for all the bites you have gotten that would suck.

Flatcoat, those pit tails are deadly weapons aren't they?

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

Agreed, I've only ever been bitten by a lab and a bichon, and most of the dogs that attempted to bite me were small dogs, pomeranians and schnauzers mostly that I can remember. The groomer I worked with once said she has been bitten 7 times, and every single time it was a Golden. She must have really bad luck with them, lol.

Oooouch! I am sorry, that's really crappy!

I am not a groomer but have been bitten before and it was by a dachshund. My sister was bitten by a friends Chow/GSD mix in the face.

woah! be careful!

i've fortinatly never been bit. i've had to muzzle a couple dogs so i don't get bit though.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

This is in response to Jadapit (my second fave pittie owner) My daughter has been lurking and she asks 2 things from me. 1 to tell you that she is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad to see another responsible pittie owner and 2) to re iterate that we bred them to fight dogs, our job is to OH WAIT YOUSAID IT keep them from having an opportunity to react badly. Most pitties raised properly (according to Jesse) do not have an aggressive response, she has however said that any pittie in a stress situation may react out of character. I would like to think I had a hand in her equilibrium on dog matters, however I must say that if I didn't know her kids I may not feel so generous even though I owe her LIFE to a pit. (that story is in another thread and it was nearly 19 yrs ago now).

Actually here is where I most often see any story anyone has ever experienced or heard of that is bad about goldens or labs, or hear most often that people dislike them . Here is the only place where if someone starts a "who loves goldens?" thread it gets filled up with bad stories about them, instead of positive comments. It's frustrated me more than once that people who hate seeing a breed slammed turn around and slam a breed. Not aimed at you Jordan, or anyone else, just saying in general (venting a bit!). Pit bulls aren't inherently bad because of their breed and neither are goldens or labs. I know one PTer posted in a thread once that they didn't cross to the other side of the street when they saw a pittie coming, but they did when they saw a golden coming. To me either way is sad, and breedism.

Unfortunately goldens and labs are so overbred and puppy-milled, and such common breeds, you're more likely to come across poorly bred and poorly trained and raised dogs. I just personally hate to see any breed targeted for negative comments that are directed at them as a breed instead of individual dogs. Dogs are dogs and they can all be very sweet or they can be nightmares, it all depends on the owners, how they are raised, if they are trained and get exercise and mental stimulation so that they don't get bored and frustrated, if they have a good pack structure, etc and so on.

Anyhow.. off my soapbox
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by K9soul
    Actually here is where I most often see any story anyone has ever experienced or heard of that is bad about goldens or labs, or hear most often that people dislike them . Here is the only place where if someone starts a golden thread it gets filled up with bad stories about them, instead of positive comments. It's frustrated me more than once that people who hate seeing a breed slammed turn around and slam a breed. Not aimed at you Jordan, or anyone else, just saying in general (venting a bit!). Pit bulls aren't inherently bad because of their breed and neither are goldens or labs. Unfortunately goldens and labs are so overbred and puppy-milled, and such common breeds, you're more likely to come across poorly bred and poorly trained and raised dogs. I just personally hate to see any breed targeted for negative comments that are directed at them as a breed instead of individual dogs. Dogs are dogs and they can all be very sweet or they can be nightmares, it all depends on the owners, how they are raised, if they are trained and get exercise and mental stimulation so that they don't get bored and frustrated, if they have a good pack structure, etc and so on.

Anyhow.. off my soapbox
    You are right. But I think Jorden(wolfsoul) made this thread to uneducated people that ANY breed can be aggresive. It isn't just the "aggesive breeds". I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else with my post.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

well said K9 however even the best breeders line breed (inbreed) so not all of it is attributed to puppymills. My cocker is sweet great on a grooming table does all her commands on a drop of the dime. cost hubby a fortune as she is show quality. She is also incredibly clingy we hire a sitter to go out, otherwise she chews her fur off literally. She adores kids is terrified of the door bell has stomach issues (hence the raw diet cleared that hurdle) is prone to unprovoked bouts of high pitched barking and "fits" she just sorta goes weird. We spayed her rather than even consider the show ring or breeding her. Paid a huge sum (nearly 1200 in breach of contract fees) and love her to death.