Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim...blocked??? Ultrasound scheduled Aug 17

Jim...blocked??? Ultrasound scheduled Aug 17

I had quite the scare last night, and I am not sure the saga is quite over yet.

Last night, just before 10 pm saw Jim leave the litter box and he laid down strangely. He laid flat on his side and seemed to be straining to poop (or pee). For 10 minutes he did this so I called my vet.

Without the details as to WHY....taking him to the vet last night would have been quite difficult. So she suggested some medicne (I had on hand) and some sub Q fluids which, THANK GOD I also had on hand! This was to 1) relax the urethra and 2) to flush out a possible blockage.

Did it. placed him in a seperate room and went to bed. Got up at 2 am to check on him and give him another 1/4 of the pill. He peed a lake! It ust have came on fast because only half was in the box (OK by mke, as long as he feels better). Went back to bed.

T|At 6 am this morning he still seems a bit painful (but at least I know his bladder is not full). I'll give more fluids and another pill and then call the vet for the next step.

So think of Jim today, thanks.
    Last edited by jenluckenbach; 08-10-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Keeping paws crossed for Jim- I am full of admiration for your medical skills.

Goodness, that sounds painful! Prayers for Jim right now!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach View Post
    This was to 1) relax the urethra and 2) to flush out a possible blockage.
    I've never heard of that before, but what luck you had it handy!

Sending lots of good thoughts that the problem will be cleared up, and Jim will feel better soon!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Jen, you have all our prayers for Jim...and a candle, too....

I know firsthand how serious and scary a blockage can be! My prayers are with Jim. I'm glad he unblocked on his own, my Ming doesn't do that and it gets expensive to have the catheter treatment done on him. He's been doing great for several months now and I hope Jim will do the same!

JIM has not peed again, yet, but the vet feels that his big pee last night is good enough to keep him on the torbutol (for pain, relaxation) and more fluids tonight, and start him on an antibiotic.

You can tell that he is still quite uncmfortable, and he did not eat today.

He still may be going to see the vet tomorrow since I am going there anyway.

Thanks for the thoughts, prayers and candles.

Keep an eye on Jim. One evening, I brought Ming home from the vets after they unblocked him. He let loose a river in the vet's office as we were leaving and I thought that all was well. Well, he started straining again as soon as I got him home and first thing in the morning, I brought him back in. Yep, he was blocked again. The vet was glad I did that because they can get uremic poisoning and die if you leave them blocked to long. So, just watch him, please!

Thank you, and YES I will be watching.

He must feel a little better tonight. He was up (not laying in the corner on hs side) And he peed!(On the carpet in the corner, but I don't care!!!)

So tonight I'll do the sub Q's and get up to check on him in the middle of my sleep.

Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Jim's way. Hopefully he won't block again.

Jim is feeling better. You can tell by the way he acts. And he's had several good pees.

He will continue with some meds and sub Q's for a week or so.

He will also be changing food AGAIN! and adding another medication to his schedule.

Just hope we can get his urine where it should be.

Good to hear that Jim is better- so I hope he's under control right now.

Poor guy is at it again. This time with an abundance of blood in his urine. I feel so bad for him.

Back on meds and fluids.

Oh, poor Jim! I hope another round of meds takes care of the problem for good. He's lucky that you're keeping a good close eye on him.

Looks like Jim will be going for an ultrasound. The date is not set yet, but his urine is bloody.... but the ph is BETTER! and the crystals are now minimal. And NO infection at all. We need to find out what we are dealing with.

The last (well the only ultrasound) i went through was with Lucas in 2006. And not a good diagnosis. $285 then to find out CANCER, $340 now to find out ....what????

He's doing better, again, on the pain pills and fluids. but (like last time) what happens when I stop the treatment? Will it the pain and straining start again like it did this last time? And the blood! Poor boy. I know he's uncomfortable, at least to an extent, but he's still my sweet boy.