Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How young is too young??

How young is too young??

My cousin, who is 21, is going out w/ this guy. I belive he's definitely tooooo young for her, but she and the guy don't seem to think so. Even his parents and hers are cool about it, but I really feel uncomfortable when I go even somewhere simple w/ them because it just feels strange. So before I tell you this guy's age how much younger of a guy is 'ok' for a 21 y/o girl to date?
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I would have to say 19 or older.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

18. If they go along with the usual standard of behavior for teens today then anything under 18 is illegal anyway
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

Though I suppose I should mention that when I started dating the man who is now my husband of 6 years, I was not quite 17 and he had just turned 20
    In general girls are more mature than boys at that age though.. I suppose it just depends on the individuals.
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I agree with caseysmom, 19 or older.

18/19 or older. I was never in that position of dating though - always dated someone who was at least a year older or two. My boyfriend and I are a year and 3 months apart.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

It would depend on the individual, IMO. But generally I'd say 18, for legal reasons.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

At 21 a person is not very mature regardless of their life, 21 is still a bit passed childhood. If her boyfriend is very young it might be because she is at his mental age. If she is not bored with him then they are of the same mindset. What does she expect from him? What are her expections in life? A home, a job, a degree, a career I doubt they are taking about grownup stuff. More like what is your favorite group, nightclub, party place, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Genny View Post
    My cousin, who is 21, is going out w/ this guy. I belive he's definitely tooooo young for her, but she and the guy don't seem to think so. Even his parents and hers are cool about it, but I really feel uncomfortable when I go even somewhere simple w/ them because it just feels strange. So before I tell you this guy's age how much younger of a guy is 'ok' for a 21 y/o girl to date?
    ....please don't hear this an hostile question....why do you care? YOU are not one of the dating pair, so why do you feel it's any of your business?
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by joycenalex View Post
    ....please don't hear this an hostile question....why do you care? YOU are not one of the dating pair, so why do you feel it's any of your business?
    I tend to agree with this - however - I feel anything younger than 18 isn't a good idea. I hope it couldn't be compared to some of these cases where a teacher is in her 20's or even older, and she gets involved with a student that's just barely made it into his teens.

I was just a little over 17 when I met my ex and we started dating, and he had just turned 21. People don't seem to make an issue of it when the guy is older than the girl tho.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

If she's willing to date a younger guy...more power to her. LOL

I've only dated people older than I am (20), and most of them are still too childish for me. haha

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Quote Originally Posted by joycenalex View Post
    Hi, it's alright I didn't take it in a bad way. Only reason I was concerned is cause he's 16...like he just learned to drive and she's just at the age to drink..it just felt weird..but like down below you can see I wrote that I like an 18 y/o so I guess you're right and I should just be happy for them, right?

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies. I appreciate it. I'm not gonna say anything to her cause they do seem happy together, but I just wondered what ya'll thought cause all of your opinions mean a lot to me sometimes
    I once dated a younger guy and right now I am working with this guy at chickfila that I kinda like and he's 18 so I guess I shouldn't question my cousin then. I dunno...but thanks...ya'll made me realize it's ok I guess I had also wondered the same thing about me dating an 18 y/o but never had the guts to ask about myself (don't know why LOL)
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

They are just dating, not getting married or anything permanent, right? I wouldn't worry yourself about it. If they are enjoying each other's company, that's fine.

In a few years, that age gap won't seem as strange. My mom was 4 years older than my Dad, and my friend is 4 years older than her husband of many years - they started dating when he was 16, and she was in college, and 20+ years later and three beautiful daughters, they are still happily together. They didn't get married until after he graduated from college, but now that is a long time ago.
    I've Been Frosted

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post
    I agree with caseysmom, 19 or older.
    19 is my vote also. 'Course guys seem to be about 4-years less mature than girls at that age -- so to me -- it would be like dating a 15-year old. Even at 19, he'd have to be mature for his age to have interested me at 21. I always dated older guys.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

The number of years doesn't matter as much as the age of the youngest partner.

If one partner is 21 or older then I think the younger person in the pair should be either 18 OR out of high school (I graduated at 17, for example). Because anyone considered a "minor" in a relationship with an "ADULT" could spell trouble.

IMO, once you are out of high school you should be responsible for making your own decisions, and if that includes dating an older person, so be it. I met my future husband when I was just 17 and he is 18 years older than me. My parents were leary, but I was heading toward college and was a responsible person.

So, in this case, 16 is a little young for a 21 year old to be in a SERIOUS relatinship, but that is not written in stone,

If they are willing to proceed slow and prove they are a responsible couple I say try not to be uncomfortable with the age difference. In a few more years, if it lasts, the age difference won't even be noticable.