Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Found Dog... Ruby's Been ADOPTED!

Found Dog... Update on post 41

When I was walking the dogs this afternoon along the golf course, I saw a SKINNY very frightened dog in the fenced-in maintenance area. I gave her the few cookies I had in my pocket and went to the golf club reception. They made a few calls to the maintenance man, and found our he has been giving her scraps for the last few days, and must have got closed in when he went home from work. I told them I would take her without thinking it through. They can't get into the compound until tomorrow morning, and I said I would pick her up at 8 am.

All I know she is very timid, and has been loose around the golf course a couple of days.

I went home and got dog kibble, water, and sliced turkey. She was so happy to have food, I don't know when she had the last proper meal, I can see all of her ribs and count the vertebrae in her spine. I feel sick with worry now, and I would love to take her in permanently, but I am struggling financially now, and having another dog would be a strain, but I feel so guilty. The non-kill shelter is full to capacity, and I can't leave her at the government one. This dog will not be adopted there.

I am going to pick her up tomorrow morning and keep her in the basement until I finish work tomorrow afternoon, then consider my options. I don't know why I am posting this, I just need someone sympathetic to vent to, and I certainly wont get it from my friends or family.
    Last edited by jackie; 01-12-2008 at 04:41 AM.

Aw, poor girl. From the sounds of it, this dog sounds like she has never had a decent home. Maybe you can foster her for awhile, place ads in the newspaper, etc. I hope you find some solution to this though. You're doing a great thing by allowing her into your home.

Major kudos to you for stepping in when many wouldn't. You're a saint.

Do you know of anyone who would want a dog, and you could possibly foster her until she's healthy and place her in a home?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Poor dog. Kay's suggestion is a good one, maybe call up up a few rescues in your area and say if they take the dog into their program, you'd be more than happy to foster her.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

You are Wonderful!!! Thank you for caring so much for this little girl. I will mention this on another site that has some international members, maybe they will be able to come up with some help or suggestions.

It's wonderful your saving her and hopefully something will work out so that you can keep her or you can find her a good home.

Your doing a very good thing!

I recently took in another cat in much the same circumstances. She was starving on the street and had an abscess on her back from a bite. We took her to the vet and had her treated and given her shots and tests. All the shelters are full here too and so I guess she'll stay with us now since we've become so attached to her...

Good Job..jackie

OK, she is timid, but seems to be in ok condition except for being so underweight and a few cuts and abrasions.

Can I use Frontline flea pipettes made for CATS on her? She is flea ridden and I don't have any dog pipettes in the house. I bathed her and its not as bag as it was, I just don't want to infest the house.

if that is what you've got, i'd say use that. better 2-3 cat sized tubes on a dog then fleas in the house and weeks of misery for all of you. good on you for helping her.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

I would give that a try, it's better then nothing. It's always better to use a back up, though, if it doesn't work, buy a dog one.

I'd be careful with cross-species use of Frontline. I know that the dog Frontline WILL KILL a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie
    OK, she is timid, but seems to be in ok condition except for being so underweight and a few cuts and abrasions.

Can I use Frontline flea pipettes made for CATS on her? She is flea ridden and I don't have any dog pipettes in the house. I bathed her and its not as bag as it was, I just don't want to infest the house.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Hook, Line, Sinker...

OMG, she is so beautiful! (It doesn't hurt that she looks close to a dog i had in a vision when i woke up a couple weeks ago.)

Good thing you don't live close to me... I'd be wanting to take on another project.

Adding some healthy fattening and learning to trust is my specialty.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

She is gorgeous - thank you for taking her in. Could you get a local pet store interested in "sponsoring" her upkeep until she is found a new home - good publicity for them....
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

She is beautiful. And how clever of her to have found the best spot in the house already.

OK, Ruby is still here...

I have reserved her a place in a rescue program! Yay.

The woman who runs it is on holiday at the moment, and they will not excepting any new dogs until she comes back, which will be between one week/one month. Its a bit more of a wait then I wanted, but I am so thrilled to be getting her into the rescue I wanted.

This woman works together with shelters in Germany, Austria, and Holland, and ends up shipping most of the dogs (and cats) to new homes in these countries. She is really careful witht he screening, and will try her best to match each owner and pup to each other.

I am just so happy now!