Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found baby bird *PICS ADDED*

Found baby bird *PICS ADDED*

I know this should go into pet general, but it will get more hits here.

My neighbor just brought me over a tiny baby parrot that his cat got. It is still alive and apart from a scratch on his neck, which has stopped bleeding, it is unhurt.

This parrot is VERY young, and it must have fallen out of his nest. I know it is a long shot, but how do I keep this baby alive?

As soon as I got it I gave him a few drops of water then some apple and walnuts ground together with some water. I know that birds feed their chicks with regurgitated food, so I thought something watery would be best.

Right now he is is a shoe box with an old shirt and paper towel.

Not sure what kind of bird he is, he must be the only parrot that we have here, not sure what breed they are, but they look a lot like Quaker parrots.
    Last edited by jackie; 04-29-2008 at 02:10 PM.

I cross posted this in Pet General, and sent a PM to Argranade and to Genny, in case either of them can give some ideas.

Don't give him any more water! The best thing you can do is put him back in his nest if you know where it is, though it doesn't sound like you do. I'd take him to a vet or an animal rescue center if possible. He may have other injuries you can't see and he needs to be checked over. The vet can also direct you best what to feed him. You should be able to find a baby bird formula at a pet store. You can feed it to him with with a syringe. I wouldn't give him anymore apple or walnut or anything else until checking with someone first. Baby birds need to be fed VERY often, so it is important you get him baby bird formula as soon as possible. Or get him to a vet or rescue center.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

No idea where his nest is, like I said the neighbors cat brought him in. He is still alive, but now i look at him a bit more and I doubt he is a parrot. I thought maybe a pigeon, but then i googled baby pigeon photos and his beak is different.

I called the vet and they said there is no point bringing him in to them, just to feed him every two hours a mixture of gofio (toasted corn meal) and fruits. He has eaten three or four full syringes full of the mix and is passing stools regularly. He seems strong, but who knows. I just took some pics and if someone can help ID what kind of bird it is, that would be great.

Oh, bless you for helping this wee birdy! I hope he continues to thrive!
    I've Been Frosted

wow, I really cant help at all. Maybe phone local vets or rescues?

They really are tiny! Good luck with him, Hope they he through

I haven't ever been that great at looking at baby birds to see what kind they are but last year I found a baby bird in the middle of the road and brought her home. She wasn't as young as your baby though this one had feathers....I fed her worms...and she at them like crazy!!!! Mayb e try giving your baby some and see if it likes them..cause normally that's what the mother is going to feed it...bugs and stuff like that good luck with it though
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Wow, that's a YOUNG bird. I've never raised one that young before.

What, and how, you feed a baby bird is VERY dependent on the species of bird.

For example, I have raised a lot of baby pigeons. They pretty much drink formula from a bottle, much like a mammal would. They thrive on commerical parrot hand-rearing formula, and are quite hardy and easy to keep.

I have raised several starlings. Starlings are primarily insectivores, so their diets consist of mostly protien. Baby starlings are easily raised on soaked dog food, placed in the back on their mouths with tweezers.

Trying to feed a pigeons diet to a starling, or visa versa, would surely kill them. Just as cats are carnivores and horses are herbivores ... some birds eat strictly fruit, some seeds, some insects. It's very important to know what type of bird you have. Worms aren't really a good idea for a lot of species of bird. While some birds, like robins, sometimes eat earthworms, it is not their primary diet. Feeding an earthworm to most baby birds would be like trying to feed a human baby a T-bone steak.

Just by looking at his feathers which are starting to come in, could he perhaps be a bluebird?

I would really look for a licensed wildlife rehabber, who can identify the bird for you.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Definitely not a parrot or a pigeon. He is extremely young and until he has some more feathers he will be hard to identify. I'm sure you have a lot of birds there that we don't have here. I'd add a little calcium to that mix. Some birds develop splay leg without the addition of calcium in their diet. I still suggest that you get him to a wildlife rescue center, his best chance is with someone who can better i/d him and either raise him or better direct you.

Good luck!
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Oh goodness, how tiny! All I can offer are my prayers.....
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Twisterdog,

Much to colorful to be a pigeon. I'm thinking either a bluebird or a baby robin. The beak is not your typical parrot beak.

Anyway to call the Department of Agriculture for help??

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I don't know the breed at all but it looks way to young to be out of the nest. I'd try again to find the nest & put it back. The cat might have
    knocked the nest out of a tree or bush. I hope you can help him/her.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    Oh my, that's a tiny baby! Good luck to you!
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

The only advice I can give is PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be very careful about feeding and keeping him warm, etc. Baby birds are very fragile and VERY prone to stress, so keep him in a QUIET place away from any animals and a no-traffic area of your house, such as a bedroom closet.

I recently found a baby bird, much older than the one you have appears, and he was doing fine... but just very suddenly passed away without any warning. He was eating and drinking fine, too, so I'm not sure what happened. The morning that he died actually he was so active, he was hopping out of his box and trying to fly around our closet!!! So I'm not sure, they are just so peculiar so please take extra caution and care!

There are a few bird forums I found when I had my bird via googling, perhaps you can join one of those to ask questions? They may be much more knowledgeable in IDing him and giving you tips on how/what to feed, etc.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

facebook