Thread: Commands In Other Languages?

Commands In Other Languages?

I thought this would be a neat discussion. Lets see if I'm right...

What languages do your dogs know commands in?

My dogs are mostly taught in English. However..

Travis knows

Sitz - German for Sit

Platz- German for 'down' [really it translates to 'place' ] <-- this has taken the place of english. I no longer tell him 'down' in English. It is always Platz.

Bleib- not 100%, we're still working on it. German for 'stay'

aquí - spanish for 'here'

I'd like to teach him more German words [his native tongue! ] but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Katy and Miles know
    aquí

The spanish is due to the fact that some Spanish is spoken around my home. [The dogs were never really taught what 'aqui' meant, they just kind of picked up on it] English is the first language, but my mother and I will mix English and Spanish in our sentences. LoL.

So, what other languages have you taught your dogs?
    Ruled by:

The GSDS: Addaxx and Fenyxx
    The Poodle thing: Frodo
    The Chihuahua: Stark

Well, I know only English, so Ginger knows only English. However, there is a little Yorkie that frequents one of the dog parks who understands both Spanish and English perfectly. He really makes me feel foolish.

My pups are more or less taught using body language, but there are a few total verbal commands that Ivy knows. Phonetically, it sounds like "san mun". It means close the door in Cantonese and it sounds exactly like it is. She also knows "ging" which is also Cantonese, and it's her cue to bow. I didn't like how bow and down sounded so similar and meant almost the same thing =P

I only taught King in English and my own body and sign language. Somehow though he knew French. (and I'm not just talking commands.)

Koli was taught using English, sign and body language, and a few made up words.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Mister knows both English AND American Sign Language....little smarty pants

My sweet RB Duke was trained in German, as well. Dasher isn't bilingual, though. Wonder if I could teach him?

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Jesse knows a few commands in German, and several in English. She also knew 'my' sign language, but I have gotten very lax with that...
    Jemi' knows English, but is too stubborn to listen to them, and Sammy is too much of a princess to 'learn commands'

My dogs only know English, as that is all I know also. Even if I did know another language I probably would continue to use english only to teach them things though, just because english is what comes naturally to me.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chiwawa
    Mister knows both English AND American Sign Language....little smarty pants
    That is SO cool! Since my John has a hearing disability (due to ear infections as a kid), we're considering learning American Sign Language at night school. My RB Cody knew hand commands quite well. At a dog show, I was speaking to a Belgian Malnois, but his owners said he only knew French!! I was so jealous..my friend, who learned French in school and spoke it quite well, stole my thunder and won over the dog! Luckily, kisses and hugs are universal!!!! Mz Klo knows a few hand signals, I just don't take the time I should.

I've been Boooo'd!

I have worked long and hard with Mister teaching him ASL. Some people think its the same as hand commands but its completely different. The signs for stay and such arent the same as "normal hand commands" I took ASL all 4 yrs in high shcool then I went to a trade school I now have my degree in it anyways enough about me. Mister I must say prefers it over Engish any day

That is really cool that you taught him Sign Language.

I was thinking about taking a class for that but never thought to teach my dogs.

I forgot to add that Travis also responds to Hand Signals.

I've been contemplating on teaching my next GSD solely in German.

I've also been thinking about teaching Trav Dutch next. It's just too fun seeing him respond to different languages.
    Ruled by:

The GSDS: Addaxx and Fenyxx
    The Poodle thing: Frodo
    The Chihuahua: Stark