Thread: Puppy stages

Red face Puppy stages

I have a new puppy! I've had dogs all of my life, but this is the first time I've had to raise a puppy without older dogs around. JD is a 3 month old mixed puppy we found about a week ago. He is healthy and happy. We keep him in a kennel with toys, and a dog house; and we go outside to play with him several times a day. The problem is, right now he is in a very bouncy and biting stage . I don't remember having a puppy that was quite as mouthy as JD seems to be. My skin is crying for help . Can anyone tell me how long this stage will last? Also, are there any tips or tricks to help us get through this stage, so he will be a well behaved dog? Thank you.
    Too many pets? What's that?

Congrats on your new puppy. This stage will not stop if you allow the nipping. What you can do is screech in a high voice whenever he nips you to startle him and then say "no biting" in firmly, then stop playing with him for a moment. Keep doing this and eventually he will understand that he is not allowed to bite.

-------------------
    http://dogshop.50webs.com

This article should help. There's a link to another article at the bottom of the page.

Bite inhibition
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

Dogs love to bite- especially puppys! This is just a stage puppy's go through. I'm not sure how long this stage lasts, but I have some advice.

You should buy your puppy lots of chew toys so he would stop biting you and wrecking your furniture.

He's not a house dog. I live with and take care of my grandparents so, keeping him indoors is not an option. Fragile skin and tripping issues. Furniture wrecking is not a problem. We do bring him in at night-time, but we crate him then. Thank you for all of your wonderful advice.
    Too many pets? What's that?