Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I quit my job...

I quit my job...

I hope I made the right choice, but I sure feel awful about it.

I'm not sure if anyone remembers me talking about the problems I had at my work in the past with the manager and cook?

Well all that cooled down and I hadn't worked with Cook for a long time so I actually started to enjoy my job. We had a new guy start working there 3-4 weeks ago. He's a very friendly guy..but he doesn't like to hear when he doesn't do stuff. And that's a lot. Everyday since he's been there I've had to clean up after him. The first few weeks I let it slide as he's new and needs to learn these things. Perfectly understandable. I've asked him to try and keep the tables (I work in a pub/resturant) tidy. We have little Corona 6 pack boxes which we put silverware/salt peper etc in. The menus stay on the table. I asked him if he could put all the silverware in one area, it looks neater then having one silverware per beer slot. Also that the menus face the same way and are arranged neatly instead of all over the table. He never does that and I now believe he puts the silverware that way just to bug me. You should have seen the look he gave me when I asked if he could do it that way. What's wrong with being tidy? That wasn't THAT big of a deal, I just asked if he'd mind.

Also, he never mops the floor after his shift. It always has stains and dirty when I come in. The beer first isn't stocked well, he leaves empty pop bottles and beer around. He doesn't restock napkins, popcorn, juice, pop. The other day someone wanted a bottle of pepsi...well, there wasn't any in the fridge! I had to tell them we didn't have any. I went to make a drink, but there was no juice. I served someone a meal and there was not enough silverware in the box. The ketchup tops aren't washed...That's gross. Who wants to get ketchup from a restaurant with a dirty lid?? Someone comes in first thing and wants change for the gambling machines...however, I have $25.00 in $5.00 bills so I can't give them any without going upstairs first. Honestly I can go on and on. This isn't just one day, this is everyday. I told the manager about it and she basically said to put up with it. She said people don't stick around long so not to tell him anything. WTF?! Why should *I* have to do it?! So I said whatever and just left all the stuff he didn't do for his next shift. Today I come in to the same BS. I ask my mom (former manager) what to do. She said ask for a meeting to get all the duties straighted away. I said sounds fair. So I go up and ask. She says "WHAT did he do NOW" I told her, and said just to go over the rules as maybe he doesn't know and it would be better coming from the manager then me. She said I'm way to nit picky with everything and I should give him a break.

I was upset in general that day. I was tired of coming into this everyday. So when she said that it made me feel that she really doesn't care about my feelings or thoughts. I know I'm a big baby and I cry over small things but sometimes I can't help it. She took me into her office and told me I need to get a backbone and can't cry over everything. I told her I have a medical condition. She asked what does that have to do with crying over everything? I asked if she had ever heard of depression. She said of course. I said she obviously doesn't understand what it is as I've been struggling with it for a long time. She told me I need to leave my problems at the door when I come to work. I said that's not how it works. Then she said I need to give the new guy a break and not be so hard on him. I told her I have nothing against him, I think he's a great guy and a hard worker, but it's only fair that he does his share of the work. He's been here long enough to know by now. He's getting worse if anything, not better. Then she said the reason all the other girls quit was because the couldn't live up to me and my moms "perfection" with everything. I'm sorry I love my customers. It's what I'm there for, and I believe if they're going to spend time in my work then it needs to be clean and organized. It's the least I can do for them. I could be a LOT more anal I often let things slide that wasn't that big of a deal...but why should I have to suffer everyday for his sake? I've been there for 5 years and him 3-4 weeks, so why does he get treated like royalty? After all that i've done for the place this is how I get treated. I told her I quit. She seemed happy. Oh yeah she also told me how am I suppose to do anything with my life when all I do is cry.

I'm sorry for venting all this silly stuff. In the end I feel I did the wrong thing. I should have sucked it up. It really wasn't the end of the world. Oh well. Thanks for listening. Thank you for being there for me. It's nice to know I have SOME people in my life who truly care.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Aww, Audrey I don't even know what to say right now. I'm so sorry that this has happened and that you are feeling so bad. Just know that I care and I'm thinking about you and sending big hugs your way.

{{{HUGS}}}

I think you did the right thing for you. There are many other jobs
    where conscientious workers are valued. That manager would be fired
    if it were my place of business. Don't be so hard on yourself.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Do not beat yourself up over this. It's not like this was a job you wanted to be in long-term, with career potential, right? It sounds like it's a good time to make a break and get on with life in a positive direction.
    I've Been Frosted

there is nothing worse than being treated rubbish in your job, Especially when others are treated better for doing less.

Things will work out for you

I'm sorry it came to the point that you quit your job. Here's my question: If you didn't pick up the slack for him, who would have? Nobody? So those things would have just gone undone?
    That is NO way to run a business, so I think the problem lies with the manager. She has had it too easy with you there working your butt off to make the place what it is.
    Let's just see what happens after you are gone. Wait a few weeks and go back there and just see how it looks. I'm sure it will be a mess. Unless they find another person like you to do everything.
    It's so sad that people who care are the ones that get crapped on in the end. I have a similar situation at my work, but it doesn't involve me. It's just ridiculous!
    I have no doubt that with your work ethic you will find another job. Somewhere the deserves and appreciates you for the hard worker that you are.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I think you did the right thing.
    You tried to make things better, but they never were going to get better because the guy wouldn't do anything to change his messy ways.

Work is work... we all know that and life is not always a bowl of cherries, but you shouldn't have to suffer everyday at your job.
    I did for 2 years, I'd get so pissed driving to work (1 hour) just thinking about how much I hated the job, then spend my hour long drive home each night crying!
    IT'S NOT WORTH IT!

{{{HUGS}}}
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

What restaurant is this so I can make sure I NEVER stop by there and tell others not to, either?

Because I certainly would not want to eat at a restaurant where countertops where food is prepared is left dirty, silverware not washed, and floors not mopped. They would have so many violations... personally if it were me as a customer, I would have called state on them so fast...

Don't worry, you did the right thing!! As a customer that attitude FROM THE MANAGER would have APPALLED me!

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee
    I'm sorry it came to the point that you quit your job. Here's my question: If you didn't pick up the slack for him, who would have? Nobody? So those things would have just gone undone?
    That is NO way to run a business, so I think the problem lies with the manager. She has had it too easy with you there working your butt off to make the place what it is.
    Let's just see what happens after you are gone. Wait a few weeks and go back there and just see how it looks. I'm sure it will be a mess. Unless they find another person like you to do everything.
    It's so sad that people who care are the ones that get crapped on in the end. I have a similar situation at my work, but it doesn't involve me. It's just ridiculous!
    I have no doubt that with your work ethic you will find another job. Somewhere the deserves and appreciates you for the hard worker that you are.
    Yeah it wasn't getting done at all. It bugs me to see stains on the floor, or menu's sloppily thrown on the tables...so I fix it or clean up. My dad is a management consultant. It's his job to help people better run their businesses. He even says she's a terrible manager. Infact she has really no managerial skills at all. He said he has seen managers come and go from my work for over 30 years and she is by far the worse.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I am so happy you did that! That's one of the best things you could have done for yourself as I believe it was highly contributing to your lack of confidence and depression. I hope you can find a place that you can be appreciated for the truly great person you are!

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

you did the right thing

no matter what that wuss manager said, you leaving was the best thing for YOU. there are other jobs, and you've learned what a bad job is, now with some time and job hunting you'll learn what a good job is. ((hugs))
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Wow, I cannot believe the manager spoke to you like that. You did the right thing for you.

Oh, sweetie, I remember past posts of yours where it was sheer HELL for you there!

It is very brave of you to leave...maybe that place will sink without you there. Heck, you and your mom could run a nice coffee and sandwich shop and put that place to shame!

I also have clinical depression - and for the past three years was working in very toxic places. I also thought I had to fix it all, and it made me miserable.

I still struggle with a depressive and ADD brain...but it makes SUCH a difference if your employers are real human beings and kind to boot!

A friend of mine suggested I see if I can get referred to an occupational therapist. I never knew what they do - but they help you find the kind of environment that is best for you where you can do your job.

Hmmm....I still like the coffee shop idea! Your artwork on the wall, a percentage of each work going to your favourite animal rescue...hmmmm.

HUGS to you. Don't look or go back...and take a good week off to yourself before you start looking again. Add some dark chocolate and bubble baths to the mix!

Forward!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

The hardest decisions we make in life are often the best ones I admire your principle and wish more people in service industries understood as well as you do the meaning of customer service.

Please don't beat yourself up; find a way to celebrate and know that you've just opened the door to better opportunities. Take the time to recover your confidence and don't look back. Whatever happens at your previous employment is no longer your problem.

There is something much better around the corner - don't be afraid to find it

Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Bengalz
    The hardest decisions we make in life are often the best ones I admire your principle and wish more people in service industries understood as well as you do the meaning of customer service.

Please don't beat yourself up; find a way to celebrate and know that you've just opened the door to better opportunities. Take the time to recover your confidence and don't look back. Whatever happens at your previous employment is no longer your problem.

There is something much better around the corner - don't be afraid to find it

Beautifully said! Audrey, take all this advise to heart.

I was going to comment on your "manager" but we've all been there. And, you don't cry because you're "a big baby", you cry from FRUSTRATION. At least I do. You can only do so much. You need to take care of YOU!

I've been Boooo'd!