Thread: Tiger's diet

Tiger's diet

For the last 2 days tiger has been groping around the house looking for something to eat other than her usual canned food. It is frustrating to know that she isn't getting something in her diet because of her constantly looking into everything I eat. Also, that she would not eat any kind of dry food. In fact, she began to peel off the rubber caulking from the woodwork with her paws and chew on that. This morning was no different except that I got the idea that she wanted grass to eat. So, I went outside and got some fresh, soft , cut short grass, and this is what she was looking for, because of the way she tore into it. It looks as though I'll have to keep some short soft grass on hand for my indoor furkids as part of their diet.

........wayne

Yes, Wayne, for some reason kitties like to eat grass. I don't know why, or what it provides them with, but Tubby has done it ever since I can remember. He still loves it, but I can't let him have it anymore because all he does it throw it up - once he's in the house of course. It's really a bummer for him because he loves it so much and I can't even let him on the grass anymore when I take him outside which makes it no fun for him, and much more stressful for me because I constantly have to keep an eye on him instead of just letting him roam as far as his rope will let him. And it's funny because Peanut will nibble on grass now and then, but she isn't really into it like Tubby is. So evidently Tiger is just one that really loves grass. Glad she's doing so good and eating well.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Wayne all of the three stooges like to nibble grass - Bagel most of all. And she also comes back into the house to sick it up!! Maybe it stops furballs forming?

Lynne

Wayne, this made me wonder whether I can let Fister eat grass! He loves a little bite of that too, but since his bladder problem, we've only given him the diet food from the vet with no Magnesium, Calcium or Phosfor. He has been allright so far! Would really like to give him a few yummies now and again, but in the hospital, they said: one shrimp a day will ruin his diet! Only wish we could find something without these things in!!

Well, this was getting a bit sidetracked, but ....

I'm glad to hear Tiger is better again!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

thanks for your interest and replies all.

Randi, Since eating grass does not suppliment their food intake, but instead appears to be a digestion correction "condiment". You might check with your vet and enquire about fister eating a little grass now and then. Personally, I don't see where a little fibre will hurt his diet, but please check with your vet first. I do have some furball medicine in their cat-supply box. Perhaps I should try to feed Tiger that first before I give her any more grass to eat. At least furball medicine is not meant to be barfed up.

Concerning finding Fister some kind of treat, you might try surfing the internet under "cat food", looking for a treat for a kitty with Fister's dietary requirements.

It is true about our furkids barfing up any grass that is eaten. But I suppose this is what it is for. Probably, Tiger barfed up her grass somewhere in the house. I'll find it next time I vacuum the place, or step in it

(later) I got the furball meds and gave it to Tiger to eat, which she did, and with gusto. Of course, Snow cat was watching the procedings, and came over for a taste himself. You should have seen the disgusted, even angry look in Tiger's eyes, as if she was saying to him, " Go away you hog, these are my treats". This was only after she batted him around with her front paw, but snow cat was not going to be deterred and got a sample of the goodies anyway.

............wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 05-21-2002 at 08:08 PM.