Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horse abuse in America

Horse abuse in America

Okay, apparently many are so stuck on the fact that I mentioned horse racing and don't hate every aspect of it, that the rest is just forgotten about and ignored. My bad, I thought most would see past that and see the point of the post. Apparently not, although some did. I'll just post the rest of the information then.

The first video link shows some abused horses, but also things people do to their horses that just aren't smart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rJq67JaM_Q

Second vidoe link does not show gore, but does show animals left to fend for themselves with no care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFMVG...eature=related

The following website talks about the crisis in America and brings to light the real problems horses face in this country. There are not many rescues or shelters for these animals, compared to dogs and cats, yet the problem is just as severe.

If you want to learn more you can read it. There are some great updates on rescued horses and some stories to make you shake your head and wonder how it gets that bad.

http://fuglyhorseoftheday.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by Vela; 05-22-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

I am not against horse racing. But I do not like to watch it. It makes me cry when I see a horse fall down. Even in movies when I know the horse is trained to fall and isn't really hurt, I just can't watch it.
    I did not look at the links either, since it said graphic material. No thanks.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

How horrid! I never realized horses were so abused and sent to slaughterhouses simply because they weren't wanted until I made friends with someone who has horses. She really opened my eyes.
    I don't really have an opinion on horse racing, as I don't know enough about it. Thanks for bringing this abuse to our attention Vela.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

You seem to be arguing the lessor of two evils, which is hardly an
    endorcement for professional horse racing.

Exploitation of animals for money is always wrong in my book. Did you know
    that giving race horses steroids is legal in every state but Iowa. It's pitiful
    the way people use & abuse these beautiful creatures.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I didn't look at the links.

I know the MSPCA* has a horse rescue program. I grew up in the city where they have the horse retirement farm, and we would go visit the horses now and again. Mom always called first, as SHE couldn't stand it if they had a new(ish) arrival who hadn't had time to recover somewhat.

As I grew up, in my teens and 20's, I was on their newsletter list (back in the days when newsletters were sent snail mail!) and there were always horse stories in there. And photos. Too sad.

I am opposed to horse racing. Just because other horses are in worse situations, doesn't make a bad situation tolerable, for me.

* Massachusetts SPCA

Like anything else, I don't think the sport itself is bad.

I think the way we conduct the sport is awful. I think the way we breed the horses for maximum speed, neglecting long-term health, is neglectful and abusive in itself.

Unfortunately, this situation happens in almost any animal sport. Dog conformation, anyone? JMO.

What happens to the 99% of horses bred in the racing industry who don't make the cut for racing? The only majority that is treated well are the few that are good enough to be raced.

Besides, racing horses 2-3 years before their bones are fully developed is cruel enough for me to hate racing. Who's to say those horses aren't sore on a daily basis? Prey animals tend to cover that up.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

My point is being overlooked. Everyone gets up in arms over horse racing, yet worse things happen every day but not many say much of anything about that...my point was to point out that it's a much bigger problem in the horse industry than horse racing alone. My point is, eveyrone cries poor Eight Belles, poor Barbaro. Yes poor Eight Belles, poor Barbaro, they died too young from accidents, a misstep, that could happen to any horse, even one out in pasture; but poor old spot down the road with rain rot and no hay, poor ill paint left to starve to death in a pasture, poor mangled pony left to fend for itself in a stall full of manure up to is knees, poor horse with overgrown feet so long it can't stand up anymore. It's not the horse racing industry that is to blame for horse abuse, it's human beings in all forms of horse sports and even just horse ownership, that are responsible.

Lot of people who argue horse racing is cruel don't actually know much of anything about it, just what they see sensationalized on TV, the good and the bad. You know Big Brown won the Preakness yesterday and his jockey didn't even raise a whip to him? He obviously wasn't being forced to do it.

I never said bad things didn't happen in racing, but unless something tragic happens on TV, nothing much is said. Nobody mentions the hundreds or horses who come home safely to their warm stalls, even the 10k claimers. You are misinformed if you think only the highest level of race horses are cared for.

My point was to show you that MUCH worse things happen every day, but why iare so few all up in arms over that? Eight Belles lived a pampered life, well cared for, and though she died young and tragically, it was quick and she didn't suffer like the millions of horses across this country do every day. There are many more horses pumped out by back yard breeders every year that get no training, poor care, and are sent to slaughter than there are thoroughbreds. Is it a problem, yes, but the problem lies much deeper.

I'm not asking you to agree with how I feel about horse racing. How I feel about it has no bearing on how you feel about it. The title of my thread was rhetorical. I was making a point of showing you that it's not just about horse racing.....but a much larger picture.

Irescue you are incorrect in your statements about thoroughbreds who don't make the racing cut. Say whatever you like, but it's not the truth. You make a blanket statement saying only the 1%, not sure where you got that number, of thoroughbreds able to race are well cared for. First of all there are lots more than 1% that make it to racing, and secondly, there are thousands of thoroughbreds who are used as jumpers, eventers, backyard owned pets, those used in dressage, or even just trail riding, some of whom I know personally, who are very well taken care of and are 100% Thoroughbred and born on a racing breeding farm. If you are going to make blanket derogatory statements, please at least be informed about what you are bashing. Yes some end up in bad places, but more horses raised by BYB end up in bad places than that.

Hi Vela -

I did mention the MSPCA newsletters. I still have nightmares, all these years later, of the horse / pony (not sure which after all these years) they rescued with the hoofs over grown, all curled up, and not able to stand. They had to cut the hooves back in steps, so it took some time. They DID post a photo a while later, showing the animal finally able to stand. Thank goodness. That photo doesn't stick in my memory, however.

I think that, like many areas of abuse, people focus on what they know. Dogs and cats are more common as pets, so more people learn about those. I'm sure abuses happen in the reptile world too, but folks aren't as aware as they can't relate to ownership in that area. Same for abuses with wild animals; poachers and such. It has taken years with stellar spokes people like Jane Goodall, and Elsa the Lioness's people (I forget the name) to bring that to awareness. I think it is because most people don't have any contact to know what is happening.

So I guess I do agree with you, horses DO suffer abuses, in horse ownership which is not racing related, and it is not well known. Just because 97% of people never hear of it, doesn't mean it does not exist.

Perhaps too, it is that fewer people can help in ways other than monetarily. Look at PT, how many people foster dogs and cats, help with transport. It is not the same for horses. My heart may be in the right place, but I don't have the extra funds and although I may have time, I can't do much, not being familiar with horses. Not owning enough space, not having a trailer. I'm not sure, but I think this may be a part of the problem.

In a perfect world, NONE of God's creatures would suffer abuse from humans.

I agree with you Freedom. I don't like to see it in any way for any animals. Honestly, my whole point was to show something to people who may just not really know or understand that it exists.

Horses are very difficult to rescue, and much more expensive than dogs or cats to do so. There just are so few shelters and rescues around because it is so much more difficult, being how large they are, etc, and the specialized things they need. It's much easier to take in a dog or cat financially and space wise.

I had to watch several videos to find some I thought might help show what really happens every day, not just in a big race on TV, and that was hard for me to do. It was more just to make people aware of what happens.

Thank you for being willing to look and see the bigger picture, that was what I was trying to do. If people don't know it happens to the extent that it does, how can anyone help change it? It's not just about racing horses, it's much more. It's just a subject that isn't often talked about.

For some reason I want to say that a woman by the last name of Adamson had something to do with Elsa the Lion.

--------

HBO has done a few documentaries on racing. I saw one about the jockeys-those guys are really effed up once they finish their careers. They don't have insurance and the purses go to the owners-not the riders.

HBO did a segment, this past week, about what happens to some horses that 'don't race'. When they take on a topic, they pretty much try to cover the issue -sometimes it's an insult to the viewer. A woman who worked at a ranch was interviewed about where the horses went that were no longer wanted.

I didn't see the whole thing, but I was really bothered by the woman and her 'angst'.

She complained about having to watch the horses loaded onto trailers, one clip was of a horse being whipped to move him along. She also stated that sometimes she was asked to get the horse that was to be taken.

She reminded me of a 'Cat Woman'- The gal who 'saves' cats until she has a home filled with felines that are being abused with what she believes are her good intentions- all because she cannot care for them properly.

MY thought was, "LEAVE!" I was really turned off by her "I love my job" attitude...She loves her job, but she stays even though her charges are routinely sent to be 'farmed'?

There are the extremes in every kind of animal abuse and loving the pet.
    But, sometimes too much care, is abuse.

I didn't see the whole segment of the program because I lost interest-I saw that this was going to be the "DARK SIDE" docu piece that comes out after a hot button issue surfaces.

Just like the Mikey Vick/dog fighting pieces that were all the rage for the sports programs-until some other fancy happens to get caught!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

I don't believe that horses were put on this earth to be whipped into running faster. That's what horse racing is. It's abuse, plain and simple.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    I don't believe that horses were put on this earth to be whipped into running faster. That's what horse racing is. It's abuse, plain and simple.
    Oddly enough, Big Brown won the Preakness last Saturday by over 5 lengths and he was not touched with the whip even ONE time. I guess maybe you'll try to tell me he telepathically knew the jockey would hit him if he didn't run faster??? Just to keep it real, he was actually being pulled up into a slow gallop as he won because he kept wanting to go faster, all without the touch of a spur, whip, or so much as a hand slap. He didn't look afraid, injured, or in any other way abused.

While you are perfectly entitled to your opinion on racing, and I am not trying to change it, you completely ignored the remainder of the information presented, which was the entire point of the original post. The racing aspect was merely a springboard to present the remainder of the information.

I still think your reasoning is comparable to saying dog fighting isn't so bad because there are a lot of dogs in worse conditions and the winning dogs are treated very well.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post
    I still think your reasoning is comparable to saying dog fighting isn't so bad because there are a lot of dogs in worse conditions and the winning dogs are treated very well.

applause
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome