Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Request for emotional support

Request for emotional support

Hi,

I'm in the process of scheduling another in a series of out-patient operations to remove an amyloid that is growing between my eye, eyelid, and some of the facial bones. I've known this was coming for ages but 'ignored' it. ["Denial: the Art Form" could be my motto. I did have a nasty reaction the first time, overstrained my eyes (stupidly) and I temporarily went blind. It was only a couple hours, but whew! it made me a lot more cautious about following the doctor's advice.] I expect with the paperwork and scheduling issues it will probably happen in roughly 8 weeks: mid-to-late July. I feel I will recouperate faster and with fewer bad side-effects if I lose weight and pick up on my exercising before then. I don't think huge progress can happen in this short time, but that improvement can, at least. I was hoping that some of you would be willing to serve in a 'cheerleader' function and I would report in once a week whether I've met my goals in weight-loss and exercise for the week. [I'm rather anti-exercise on my own. Committing publicly to exercise and reporting on my progress will help me a lot.] I know this isn't pet related (and I'm reluctant to carry a cat with me when I walk *grin*) but I hope this group is open to a once-a-week report. Okay?
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Of course we'll be here for moral support. If you don't post a weekly report we'll scold you and you don't want that, do you?

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

You got it, Amber!!! Full support from here. In fact, if you'll give more details on what you plan to do each day for exercise, I might just fall in line with you and we can compare notes, and be each other's cheerleader. It is hard sometimes, especially when we're alone, to get in the right frame of mind.

Consider me your east coast cheerleader!!

Absolutely.....

When I quit smoking almost a year and a half ago I put on some weight . I became so angry and frustrated. I heard a Jazzercise commercial one day on the radio. I had done Jazzercise for five years but quit for all sort of reasons. About a year ago I returned to doing it. I now go four times a week.

Regrettably I haven't lost all the weight I want to but I feel so much better!

It helps me alot to prepay (I hate wasting money) and going to a group setting where pride and competitiveness spur me on! A woman in my group is 77!

Anything I can do to help!

Former User Guest
    You can count on me too AmberLee, anything I can do to to help, I will! You can also email me at anytime you know!

I'm the ultimate couch potato myself but am behind you 100%. I haven't figured out how to exercise while on Pet Talk yet.

My mommy an I are pullin' fer yooze Miz AmberLeez!

Luv,
    Sophie

Weight Loss

Amber Lee, I am a real advocate of Weight Watchers. I know that it slow and steady and you may want more miracle like loss. I have lost 30 pounds in seven months and really do feel as though I eat a ton of food. It is slow going though.

Eat lots of salads - lots and lots of salads! Drink lots and lots of water too. And some exercise would help as well. Just don't over do it!!!

Good luck.

Amber, we are here for you. I hope your surgery goes smoothly and that you can acheive your target weight.

{{{AmberLee}}}
    Ya know you got a cheering section here for ya!!!!

I know how frustrating the whole weight issue can be, and I'm really fighting it now But, I have discovered that people are more inclined to go exercise with motivation...as in having a friend or someone go with you. I've been really out of touch with that whole thing, and am starting to go again. Once I get going and in a routine...it's great...it's just getting started that is so hard. I've felt really tired and 'down' a lot lately, and I do think some of it has to do with this extra weight I'm carrying around.
    If you're interested, feel free to come with me to my gym! They have treadmills you can walk on if that is something you'd be interested in. I like the treadmills, and you can go at your own pace. Whatever is the most comfortable. I like to do cardio kickboxing, step aerobics and yoga...all of which are taught at my gym. But they also have treadmills, other exercise machines, weights, wolleyball courts...etc. A friend of mine was going and walking the treadmills while I did my step class awhile back, and I really lost a lot of weight back then! Just because I knew my friend was going and couldn't let him down by not showing up! LOL It really helps to have someone go with you, plus that makes it more enjoyable too! I like to try and make it 3 times a week (Mon, Wed, and Thurs).
    Even going for a walk during the lunch hour is nice. We can meet up for lunch and take a stroll at the golfcourse if you're interested sometime!

In any case, we're all here for you and we all love you!!!

**hugs**

Full support from me too!! You can do it!!! Within weeks you will feel more fit if you exercise, that's at least my experience. You may not loose weight in that time, but you will in the end! Of course you know that fatty food is a NO NO!!

If you could find someone to join you in a gym or something that would make it easier - or if you live in nice surroundings, you'll probably tend to go for more walks - better than nothing!

I wish you all the best of luck with your operation!!

Lets hear reports on your progress!

hugs from your Scandinavian cheerleader!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

We'll be with you all the way - maybe we should all post our exercise accomplishments for the week with you - we'll boost each other! (Playing toreador with Miss Hoppy is no exercize for me, though it's plenty for her! I just wave the "cape" - she the one dashing about!)

English Cheer Section ready and reporting for duty AmberLee!!!!

Behind you 100% and I've got everything crossed for you. Hope the weight lose goes well. Go on girl - YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Lynne

You guys are SO great! **group hug!**

My plan is still a little vague.

I definately want to get in at least 100 minutes of aerobic activity each week -- ideally 5 * 20 minute walks (or swims), though if my schedule gets hectic multiples of 10 minute ones would work as well. I would like to augment this with stretching exercises and work with weights so that I have at least 20 minutes of physical activity a day.

I also definately want to drink at least 64 oz of water a day. And increase the amounts of fruits and vegetables I eat. This one sounds weird, I know, but I want to eat at least three small meals a day. When my schedule gets crazy I sometimes go 24 and 36 hours without eating and when I finally do eat it's frequently not sound nutritionally (to put it mildly!...) [ -- Yeah, this is a VERY BAD habit, especially for a diabetic. ]

I would also like to lose weight, but that's the lowest priority of the three for me right now. I'm also taking my measurements and plan to measure every Sunday evening/Monday morning. Sometimes, especially when I'm exercising, I lose inches but no pounds which is heartbreaking when the scale is my/your major milestone.

So I pledge to post each Monday what my total aerobic exercise was for the week in minutes, rest of my exercise total, days of success in water drinking/eating, weight differential, and inches differential. Thank you for your encouragement everybody, you are the best!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Re: Weight Loss

Originally posted by sasvermont
    Amber Lee, I am a real advocate of Weight Watchers. I know that it slow and steady and you may want more miracle like loss. I have lost 30 pounds in seven months and really do feel as though I eat a ton of food. It is slow going though.

Eat lots of salads - lots and lots of salads! Drink lots and lots of water too. And some exercise would help as well. Just don't over do it!!!

Good luck.

I can't myself testify for weight watchers, but it has been wonderful for some family members.

I was reading a article in Prevention (?) magazine and in a study they did people who exercised shorter periods, a few times a day lost more weight then those who excercised all at one time. Might also be easier to fit in 3 -10 work peroids then a 1/2 hr all at once...

I too should lose some weight and would be in for a "pet talk support group"