Thread: Question on Rabies Tag

Question on Rabies Tag

Do dogs have to wear the rabies tag when they go outside? I am just wondering.
    Jen & Gigi

Thanks Kay for the set.

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    I'm not sure if they do or not, it might be a good idea however just so other people know that you are a resposible pet owner. I know here that we get a new rabies tag every time the dog gets their rabies shot but then my vet clinic puts some info on the tags that people can use to reunite me with my dogs if they ever get loose...this year they started entering the tag #'s in a computer system that all the vets in the city can access. So I think of the rabies tags as an extra id tag to go along with their licenses and regular id tags.
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!

Hmm..I don't know if it's required by law here but I leave them on their collars anyways. It's just so that if they ever get lost, anyone who finds them will know they are UTD on vaccinations and will know which vet we go to and from there, the vet will be able to contact us.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

One of the reasons I asked is that the tag is huge and Gigi likes to chew on it.
    Jen & Gigi

Thanks Kay for the set.

My dogs don't have any tags on their collars, because well they rarely wear collars.

Rabies isn't required here by law, so the shelties don't get vaccinated for it anymore. I think their last rabies tags were probably from 2000.

If she is just bothering with the rabies tag I would leave it off as long as you have other ID tags on the collar

*Thanks Ashley*

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    My dogs don't have any tags on their collars, because well they rarely wear collars.
    Same here. Rabies vacs are required here, but wearing the tags is not. I can't stand the sound of tags on a collar, so mine don't wear them. I also have extremely active, hyper, jumping dogs and am afraid that they'll hang themselves. The literally fly around the house and yard when they play I would worry too much when I'm not there. Our yard is very secure (about to be 100%; we're changing our fencing, yay! ) so I don't feel tags are necessary, unless we are out for walks, going shopping, or to the vet.

Here it is required to have a rabies license on your dog. If your dog isn't wearing one, it can be taken away and not returned until you pay a fine. I believe you must also pay a fine if their rabies isn't updated every year, but I hope they changed that.
    I've been BOO'd!

The laws vary from city to city, county to county. The only way to be sure is to call your local Animal Control, police or sheriff's office.

Here, for example, rabies vaccination is required by law every two years, and tags must be worn at all times.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien