Thread: Buying pet meds via internet

Hybrid View

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Buying pet meds via internet

In an attempt to save money, more and more people are doing this. I know of people here on PT that do - myself included.

I have never had a problem buying and receiving what I expected that I was paying for. Many sites have very good prices, and much cheaper than you can purchase from your vet - and it's the genuine article - I read the small print looking for discrepancies. I purchase Advantix flea med for the dogs from a place in Australia. I save a bundle over what I have to pay at the vet, even when I have to pay a max of $4.95 for shipping, and they also have specials that offer free shipping too. I still buy the pup's Heartguard Plus thru the vet, since she is just as cheap, if not cheaper than any site I have found. Can't figure that one, but I'm not about to question it.

So when Myndi became sick recently, her vet put her on Hi-Vite Drops, a high potency vitamin supplement fortified with liver and iron. It's a little pricey - $10.75 for a 1oz. bottle, and on the front of the box it specifically says Sold Exclusively Through Veterinarians".. Being curious to see if I could purchase it on line, by some chance, I Googled it and found it available. The first place that listed it as being available that I checked was Amazon.com - and sure enough - there it was at about half the price I had paid. I thought I had struck paydirt - same box, same name - but wait - a different pharmaceutical manufacturer and I noticed that the logo on the front of the box was different. Of course, they post a fuzzy pic in hopes that no one will notice I suppose. Ok - red flags are flying, so I go the ingredient analysis and start comparing what I have, to what's being sold by this knock-off. Incredible - the potency of the on line one, was a fraction of the one that I have. This may be all well and good as a regular supplement for a healthy animal, but for a sick animal such as Myndi is/was, it would do her almost no good at all. Glad that I'm so picky at times, and take the time to read into things, otherwise I probably would have been suckered into this one.

Just a little info and a "buyer beware". The outside packaging may look almost identical, but it's what's inside that counts. Read, so that you are getting what you think and assume that you're buying. It could be a matter of your pet's health that is at stake.

And one thing that I don't understand - how can this knock-off get away with selling under the same name??? Doesn't sound legal to me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I have never bought the meds online. Do you have to get a prescription from the vet first before you can order?

Thats my question too??
    Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    I have never bought the meds online. Do you have to get a prescription from the vet first before you can order?

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

You only need a prescription for meds that would normally require it. The flea meds I use doesn't require one, but if I was to get the Heartguard on line, I would need a prescription. The web site will indicate if a script is needed or not.
    If your vet is cool, they can fax it, otherwise, just get a copy and fax it or mail it yourself.

The site I buy from is: vetshoponline.com
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I bought Advantage100 and Advantix from PetMeds to use on my granddogs and cats this summer and the price was very reasonable and the packaging from Bayer and very fresh. I would buy again but thank you for the heads up on some of the products!

Quote Originally Posted by sirrahbed View Post
    I bought Advantage100 and Advantix from PetMeds to use on my granddogs and cats this summer and the price was very reasonable and the packaging from Bayer and very fresh. I would buy again but thank you for the heads up on some of the products!
    Next time you need to buy, check out the one I use for better pricing. I found PetMeds to be quite expensive as compared to others. Like anything else - comparison shop.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002 View Post
    Thats my question too??
    Last year I tried getting a script for Advantage but my vet wouldn't give it to me since she had never seen Autumn yet. I'm having a major problem getting Autumn to the vet, had to cancel 3 appointments because she runs away and I just can't get her into the carrier, I have another appt. in two weeks. Anyway since I couldn't get the Advantage from my vet, I ordered it from 1800PetMeds and it's exactly the same. The shipping was free also.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

I am not an expert on this subject because I buy dog products for my dogs and cat products for my cats and I only buy them from my veterinarians because neither of them will provide written prescriptions for mail order purposes. They both are so reasonable on our vet charges, I don't mind them getting the up charge on the heartworm and flea meds. But, if I'm not mistaken, there is a major ingredient difference in the topical flea meds given to dogs versus cats and the dog meds include something that could be toxic to cats. I'm sorry I don't remember the specifics, but I would not risk using a dog flea treatment on my cats. I'll try to get the specifics and post again.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    But, if I'm not mistaken, there is a major ingredient difference in the topical flea meds given to dogs versus cats and the dog meds include something that could be toxic to cats. I'm sorry I don't remember the specifics, but I would not risk using a dog flea treatment on my cats.
    Yes - I've read that too, but since I don't have any cats, it was something that was never an issue for me. There are warnings not to use on cats since there is an ingredient that cats cannot metabolize, tho I don't know what it is. I didn't mention it earlier in this thread, since there are folks that use the dog med on their cats, and with no adverse reactions.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Being in the veterinary field, I am not for buying medications online. No, not because I am not getting paid, but because every time you are prescribed a medication, your pet should have an exam and blood work done. Some medications animals are on need to have the levels checked, to check and see if the medication is indeed doing what it's supposed to be doing. People can purchase medications online thinking they know what their pet needs, when indeed they don't.

Like you guys have said, you have a prescription from your veterinarian faxed/mailed to the online pharmacy, to then be filled and shipped to you. That is different. It's the people who just think they need this, and buy it. I personally think that online pet pharmacy's should require blood work from the veterinarian prescribing, but that's just me.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Quote Originally Posted by *LabLoverKEB* View Post
    Being in the veterinary field, I am not for buying medications online. No, not because I am not getting paid, but because every time you are prescribed a medication, your pet should have an exam and blood work done. Some medications animals are on need to have the levels checked, to check and see if the medication is indeed doing what it's supposed to be doing. People can purchase medications online thinking they know what their pet needs, when indeed they don't.

Like you guys have said, you have a prescription from your veterinarian faxed/mailed to the online pharmacy, to then be filled and shipped to you. That is different. It's the people who just think they need this, and buy it. I personally think that online pet pharmacy's should require blood work from the veterinarian prescribing, but that's just me.
    What if one's pet has a chronic condition (diabetes, cardiomyopathy, hyperthyroidism, etc.)? For instance, diabetic syringes are MUCH cheaper at a human pharmacy or even WalMart, than through the vet; as are the ACE inhibitors and beta blockers used in cardiomyopathy. I realize that the animal must be seen frequently by the vet, but rather than dispensing the meds at the office, my vet would write a scrip so that I could have it filled for less money.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I buy all my pet meds from Australia including Heartgard. There is no perscription required on any of the meds I buy. I save a lot when i take advantage of their bundled offers that include the flea med and Heartgard. The thing that surprised me the most is their quick shipment time. I have always received my order on the third day after I order. I have never ordered from a US company that has delivery as quickly as this company. Google "equine-mega-store" for their web page.
    Last edited by kokopup; 06-29-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

If it's only a few dollars that I would be saving, then I just buy from the vet. It's the big buck items that make buying on line wiorthwhile.

For example - the Advantix that I buy for the dogs is $80 for 6 doses from my vet, so that's only enough for 3 months for both pups. I pay $96 for 12 doses from the Australia supplier and will last for 6 months. Now that's a HUGE savings, and my last order had a special of free shipping too.

The Heartguard is $21.50 from my vet for 6 doses, and when I buy 2 boxes I always get a $5 mail-in rebate slip. On line prices for this product are the same and more, with no rebate, plus I would have to pay shipping, so buying this thru the vet is cheaper. Myndi's thyroid med thru the vet is only $10 for 100 pills and she only take one per day, so that wouldn't be worth the bother of trying to find them cheaper.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    If it's only a few dollars that I would be saving, then I just buy from the vet. It's the big buck items that make buying on line wiorthwhile.

For example - the Advantix that I buy for the dogs is $80 for 6 doses from my vet, so that's only enough for 3 months for both pups. I pay $96 for 12 doses from the Australia supplier and will last for 6 months. Now that's a HUGE savings, and my last order had a special of free shipping too.
    You'd be able to save even more money if you buy the largest dog Advantix and then you measure it out for each dog. You just need to know how much they weigh and what dose to give them. Then you tape off the amount on a syringe and you also need a container with a lid to keep the unused portion in until the next time you need it. I use an empty plastic testube that I got from my vet. I've saved so much money by measuring mine out over the years.