Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Roxey is going to have surgery-STITCHES OUT! (post 118)

Roxey is going to have surgery-STITCHES OUT! (post 118)

She has a Ruptured Anterior (Cranial) Cruciate Ligament
    There's been a lot of talk about exactly what type of surgery she's going to have to have. First it was the Lateral Suture technique but after the orthopedic surgeon looked at her x-rays he decided she wasn't a good candidate for it because there was too much damage in the knee and it wouldn't help the pain. So he referred us to OSU veterinary clinic and thought maybe she might be a good candidate for a knee replacement and right now they are doing clinical trials. But of course the surgeon there needs to evaluate her and see what he thinks. They are so busy and we're not able to get in until December 1st. So for now I guess she will keep taking the Previcox & the denosyl the vet has her on for the pain, that is unless something changes after they look at her liver panels on Wednesday.

Needless to say either surgery they do it's going to be super expensive. We sold our camper hoping it would be enough money and it would have been if she would be having the lateral suture. But now it looks like it's going to be more around $5000+ with all the vet visits and the meds she will be having to take.

We've already spent $1000 to have 2 of her teeth pulled (the back ones which have 3-4 roots so it's major surgery to pulls them)plus the expense of the antibiotics, pain meds, x-rays and suppliments to add to her food for added support to her joints (glucosamine and chrontrin-we're giving her The Missing Link)

I have to say though, I have some super good friends at work and they are doing a fund raiser for us. I would have never imagined it and am so overwhelmed. I definately don't think we'll raise the extra $2500 we're going to need, but every little bit will help! People really surprise me sometimes

My poor girl. Not only is it going to be hard on her to have the surgery, but the recovery is going to be very long and rough on both her and us.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9292738.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	641.5 KB 
ID:	46163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8062238.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	620.3 KB 
ID:	46164   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5311522.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	525.6 KB 
ID:	46165   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5181351.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	520.3 KB 
ID:	46166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9232721.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	534.6 KB 
ID:	46167  

Last edited by anna_66; 11-29-2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: update

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

My prayers are with Roxey and you! Give that beautiful pup a gentle hug for me.

Oh, Roxey girl... I am sure she will do fine. The vet I worked at did quite a few ligament surgeries. Best wishes to one of my favorite pettalk doggies. :-D
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope that her surgery goes well and that she'll be able to have it before Dec.1st. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Roxey's way.

She will be in our prayers, as will you! She's such a beautiful girl, put her picture on anything you can for fundraising, and folks will likely fall in love with her pretty blue eyes and want to help.
    I've Been Frosted

Good luck, Roxey! Hope everything goes smoothly.

Hope things work out for you and your pretty girl. You all will be in my thoughts.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Prayers for Roxy girl! She is so pretty!

I've known a few dogs have the ACL surgery; but they were smaller breeds, and young dogs (under 3 years of age).

I didn't know they do knee replacements for dogs!

Oh, poor Roxey!!! I feel you about the money. BUT, and I know you know this already...she is well worth it.

As for the surgery, my sister's rottie, Rafe, had both knees done (not at the same time), and her GSD, Sera, just had one done. The recovery is a PIA. No activity for 6 weeks...but both doggies are doing well.

Good luck to all!

Good thoughts going out for Roxey!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    She will be in our prayers, as will you!
    In mine, too! (do you have a Pay-pal?)
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Lots of prayers, hugs, and good vibes for Roxey!!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Anna, how wonderful that your co-workers are doing a fundraiser for Roxey! Your colleagues are wonderful people.

A garage sale might pull in a few $, especially if others chip in with goodies to sell.

Check this out too - low or no interest loans for pet owners: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...nary_care.html
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Prayers and positive thoughts for Roxey. I hope this waiting time
    goes by quickly and Roxey can get started on healing up again.She
    is such a sweet and beautiful girl.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Good Thoughts & Prayers sent Roxey's.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Anna, how wonderful that your co-workers are doing a fundraiser for Roxey! Your colleagues are wonderful people.

A garage sale might pull in a few $, especially if others chip in with goodies to sell.

Check this out too - low or no interest loans for pet owners: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...nary_care.html
    A garage sale would be great, but just recently I gave all my old stuff to the salvation army But the girls at work are going to bring in their old purses (they're all addicted to them!) to sell. So that might go good.
    I do have home made pickles that I made and it seems they all like them, so I'll be selling them along with some baked good this weekend.
    I'm going to try and sell some stuff on ebay. Never done it so this should interesting

We have looked into care credit though. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Oh, poor Roxey!!! I feel you about the money. BUT, and I know you know this already...she is well worth it.

As for the surgery, my sister's rottie, Rafe, had both knees done (not at the same time), and her GSD, Sera, just had one done. The recovery is a PIA. No activity for 6 weeks...but both doggies are doing well.

Good luck to all!
    Your right, she most definitely is! One girl at work today asked why we couldn't just amputate her leg

It's the recovery that I will NOT be looking forward to. But since she's a little older it "might" be a little easier.
    I'm very glad to hear both the knees are doing good!

And thanks for all the positive thoughts and prayers!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets